Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed over trolleys?

(60 Posts)
Mummyme1987 Sat 18-Nov-17 13:56:54

I’ve started shopping at Aldi. The stuff seems good but much cheaper, all good so far. I’m a mum of 3. Nothing unusual there I thought. So we buy a good amount of food. My problem? The size of trolley available for my use. I’m a wheelchair user, I can’t push myself and can’t afford a powered one. So dh pushes me. The only disabled trolleys are tiny. We end up doing my trolley load per aisle, paying, packing dh puts it in the car and then we repeat. I’ve complained to the manager but he said the trolleys are from head office and he can’t do anything but pass on my comments, I asked about help pushing a big trolley but he said there’s no staff available. Why do they assume that all disabled people are shopping for one or two? There should be disabled trolleys for families, ones with child seats too. It’s so annoying. It’s yet another barrier to a normal life. Went to The Range, they lock up their only (yes only 1 for a huge store) disabled trolley so you have to queue to ask for it and it’s dodgy if you can get one at all. I’m just fed up with it all.
I messaged Aldi and got the usual, your comments are valued and will be passed on. So nothing will change.

Mummyme1987 Sat 18-Nov-17 13:59:00

I end up sending dh by himself with a list most times as doing it aisle by aisle is crap. Until I swapped shopping from Asda which I did online I hadn’t had this problem before.

WhatKatyDidNotDo Sat 18-Nov-17 14:00:45

I completely agree that their should also be bigger trolleys available for wheelchair users.

Could you go round Aldi in your wheelchair and your DH pushes a big trolley?

Mummyme1987 Sat 18-Nov-17 14:08:20

I’m not able to self propel and we can’t afford a powered one, nhs has now stopped providing them unless the house is perfect for powered ones, ours isn’t. So he pushes me and I can’t push a big trolley in front of me either. I end up balancing stuff in the trolley and on my lap too, often it hurts. Disabled trolleys like to cut your knees anyway. It’s never a pleasant thing.

Mummyme1987 Sat 18-Nov-17 14:09:52

I just want to be able to shop where I want without having to do four journeys to the till and car each time. It takes much longer than a usual shop.

IslingtonLou Sat 18-Nov-17 14:15:38

I understand both sides - it is head office’s issue to sort if the store isn’t actually supplied with disabled trolleys. Send an email complaint

However the manager could offer a member of staff (or even himself) to push the trolley as a nice gesture - but again with budget stores they probably don’t have the spare staff to give a personal shopper experience- they need their staff on till etc or might otherwise be understaffed so can’t really spare anyone, especially on a regular basis.

Just badly managed for disabled customers all around. Could you try online shopping for the majority of your shop then go in store for top ups/the bits you can’t get online if it’s easier?

FlowerPotMum Sat 18-Nov-17 14:18:54

Aldi is so tightly staffed I don't imagine they would be a member of staff to push the trolley with you both. How unfair, making something that should be so simple a really difficult job.
Have you tweeted/FB messaged etc?
Good luck

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Sat 18-Nov-17 14:19:00

What type of trolley would you want? If you're unable to self propel your wheelchair could you manage a large wheelchair trolley?

I have a friend who finds it difficult to self propel and she would find a large trolley impossible, so uses self scan and a rucksack type bag on her chair instead. If there's a style of trolley out there that she could manage a larger shop with that would be great!

Mummyme1987 Sat 18-Nov-17 14:24:01

My dh could easily manage to push me with a large trolley. I’ve sent head office a message but as I said all I got back was we will pass your comments along. I want a same size trolley as the normal ones but with the attachment for a wheelchair. So It’s the same size trolley.
I changed from online shopping as Aldi is cheaper, I don’t want to pay more just because they don’t do proper size trolleys.

GlitterGlue Sat 18-Nov-17 14:24:23

Could you manage a mobility scooter? There are some very lightweight ones which will fit in a car. Also look into charitable funding for a power chair.

Mummyme1987 Sat 18-Nov-17 14:24:49

Hi there. Thanks for your message. At present, various types of trollies are available in store for our customers to use. Please accept our apologies if they are not suitable for you. We are grateful for all customer feedback and review on a regular basis customer comments, trends and recommendations. Please be assured that we are taking this feedback seriously and have passed your comments on to our Store Operations team for review and consideration. Thanks again. Gee, Aldi UK Facebook Team

Mummyme1987 Sat 18-Nov-17 14:25:54

No I’m not able to use a mobility scooter safely.

Mummyme1987 Sat 18-Nov-17 14:26:27

The reply from Aldi. I’m not impressed.

Mummyme1987 Sat 18-Nov-17 14:27:23

It’s not just Aldi though, it’s everywhere. I’ve yet to see a large disabled trolley. Being disabled with a family isn’t a rare occurrence.

Mummyme1987 Sat 18-Nov-17 14:28:45

I’ve tried a few charities for funding but there’s quite long waiting lists as this is a nhs policy most places now. Charities are overwhelmed I think.

Mummyme1987 Sat 18-Nov-17 14:30:13

If Aldi did online delivery then there would no problem.

Shadow666 Sat 18-Nov-17 14:30:47

Can you leave a large trolley at the end of the aisle?

So, put your items into the smaller trolley as you go along the aiske and transfer them to the trolley as you go. Your DH would have to go into the shop first and set it up but it would be easier than keep paying each aisle.

Wolfiefan Sat 18-Nov-17 14:33:00

Wouldn't DH pushing your wheelchair whilst you pushed a big trolley be too long to turn round the aisles?

Mummyme1987 Sat 18-Nov-17 14:35:49

We tried that once, people took stuff out. They seemed to think it was reduced stuff or something and had a good rummage.
We had taken one of the kids before but with two of them are at college/work and the timings with when Hubby is available and carer and kids covering my care when he’s not there, it’s hard.

GlitterGlue Sat 18-Nov-17 14:36:10

I can’t see on google that they exist. I suppose large ones may be difficult to manoeuvre when attached to a wheelchair? Although it’s more likely that it hasn’t actually been tested.

GlitterGlue Sat 18-Nov-17 14:37:47

Oh, if you try with a big trolley again put some empty bags in it (or those trolley bags) so it doesn’t look abandoned.

Mummyme1987 Sat 18-Nov-17 14:37:59

No aisles are fairly big. Should be plenty of room as long as they don’t start putting display stuff at the ends. I wouldn’t be pushing the trolley, it would have to be attached.

Mummyme1987 Sat 18-Nov-17 14:39:27

That’s really my point. Nobody has bothered to make them. It could be wider rather than longer. Just need to design one.

Mummyme1987 Sat 18-Nov-17 14:40:11

That’s a point about bags, can’t remember if we had bags or not when we tried it.

Wolfiefan Sat 18-Nov-17 14:40:18

I can't imagine any way you could turn at the end of the aisle.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: