Talk

Advanced search

to ask if you need underfloor heating for upstairs bathroom in a semi?

(14 Posts)
GardenGeek Sat 18-Nov-17 12:07:58

Hello,

This is my first time doing a bathroom. Its a small upstairs bathroom in a semi detached house with only single brick walls.

Someone said I shouldn't do it as its upstairs so why would you.

I honestly have no idea but now I have thought about this will I regret it whenever my toes are cold if I don't do it grin

What would you do?

gabsdot Sat 18-Nov-17 12:09:53

I have no idea but I think it would be lovely.

lidoshuffle Sat 18-Nov-17 12:26:52

I've got it under my granite bathroom floor (tiny bathroom). It's so snug and lovely. It cost about £200 to install (it's electric, a stretchy net thing, very easy to install) and costs the same as a 60w light to run. Do it! smile

DJBaggySmalls Sat 18-Nov-17 12:28:37

Yes I would! We have a radiator and while it keeps the bathroom warm the floor is cold.

Panicmode1 Sat 18-Nov-17 12:30:24

We have it in our small bathroom (4 bed victorian semi) and it's lovely!

PippaPug Sat 18-Nov-17 13:02:55

I have it in my bathroom and I love it - my only regret I didn't put it in under the kitchen floor, no idea why I didn't! So toasty when going for a 3am wee 🙄😂

TacoFlavouredKisses Sat 18-Nov-17 13:05:32

It was unmentioned in the listing for my three bed semi when we bought it and was a delicious surprise when we eventually moved in - definitely do it.

Only downside is that if you have cats you'll find yourself having to step over them in the bathroom forever more.

ByThePowerOfRa Sat 18-Nov-17 13:11:30

I’m sure it’s lovely having underfloor heating in your bathroom. I don’t get why it being upstairs makes a difference?

Although, I have to say I keep the downstairs of my house a lot better than the rest as it’s the only bit most people other than people who live here will see!

GardenGeek Sat 18-Nov-17 14:30:39

I think thats unanimous then grin Thank you!

mrswhiplington Sat 18-Nov-17 14:31:11

We renovated our bathroom in the summer. Completely tiled all the walls and floor. Decided to put underfloor heating down at the last minute and we are so glad we did. My DD said it is the best thing we have ever done to this house.grin Now that the weather is colder it is making such a difference. When the central heating isn't on it would be freezing in there.

YesThisIsMe Sat 18-Nov-17 14:35:02

To some extent it depends on the layout of your house. Our bathroom has just a single towel rail radiator but is never chilly. However, it has Amtico flooring not granite or ceramic tiles, and it only has one small exterior wall. If it was on a corner with two large exterior walls it would be a different cup of tea.

YellowFlower201 Sat 18-Nov-17 14:35:07

We have it and it’s lovely. It’s electric.
Is your friend thinking it’s the water pipe filled variety? I can see how that might not be so good upstairs...

GardenGeek Sat 18-Nov-17 15:56:48

Yes we have two external walls. Its 2x2m and in a corner. You lot have sold it to me.

Now I just need to pick some tiles grin

We have looked in Topps Tiles and Fired Earth and found ones we like but havent found the one yet. We are looking at the wood effect tiles.

lidoshuffle Sat 18-Nov-17 17:49:25

Minor point; you need to lay in on special insulation board, so bear that in mind with tile thicknesses etc. You may need to trim the door and get a deeper (landing) carpet trim.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: