Talk

Advanced search

To be irritated by banning glitter

(34 Posts)
drizzletits Fri 17-Nov-17 21:49:05

Just that really, nurseries banning the use of glitter and protesting on social
media to ban it. I understand the damage that it my be doing to the environment but why isn’t more done about bigger items impacting the environment. Like the stupid amount of packaging companies use for items every day that are taken to landfill and not recycled.

brasty Fri 17-Nov-17 21:55:52

They said on a radio interview that parents had pushed for this, and as a nursery they are very environmentally conscious. I suspect it is more a commercial decision than anything else.

greatbigwho Fri 17-Nov-17 22:02:11

Micro particles are horrendously damaging though, much worse than excess packaging as they can’t be recycled, and they’re ingested by sea life

drizzletits Fri 17-Nov-17 22:02:29

Hadn’t thought about it that way.

Sunnysidegold Fri 17-Nov-17 22:03:55

But there is something to be said about how these tiny particles enter our food chain as they are ingested by sealife.

I frigging love glitter. I also love microbeads in facewashes and have given those up so might have to give up glitter too.

Starlighter Fri 17-Nov-17 22:05:17

Edible glitter instead?

RunningOutOfCharge Fri 17-Nov-17 22:05:34

About time it was banned!!!

dantdmistedious Fri 17-Nov-17 22:06:11

I don’t realise the connection with micro particles. I’ve stopped buying scrubs etc for that reason. Glitter is banned at home purely for the mess but now I have a genuine reason!

meditrina Fri 17-Nov-17 22:10:52

The nursery in question has also ceased to use single-use plastics. They're not going off on a tangent. If you're swerving unnecessary plastics, that's what you're doing. Retailers and manufacturers will follow demand.

I was glad to see this item in the news today.

They are totally right to avoid the plastic version and use one of the non-harmful, just as sparkly alternatives instead.

Chickenagain Fri 17-Nov-17 22:35:27

I thought it was great - today’s uneducated children grow up to be polluting adults. Start early and there may be hope for the environment.
I’d love it if they banned balloon releases, Chinese lanterns & plastic duck races too!

KateKatieKaty Fri 17-Nov-17 22:39:38

I hate glitter with a passion. It sticks to everything except the thing that it’s supposed to.
I’m sure the glitter company won’t go bust though, they will just come up with a bio degradable type I’m sure! (Much to my annoyance)

BewareOfDragons Fri 17-Nov-17 23:01:16

* I understand the damage that it my be doing to the environment but...*

hmm

People really have to start somewhere.

drizzletits Fri 17-Nov-17 23:12:06

I bloody love glitter, bring on the environmentally friendly versions!

AvoidingDM Fri 17-Nov-17 23:19:50

I can totally see why it's banned.
Yes I agreed that Chinese lanterns and balloon releases should be banned too.
Plastic duck races are slightly different, the organisers fish them back out the river and they are reused. Or certainly the one my friend organises is done that way.

IHeartKingThistle Fri 17-Nov-17 23:24:43

Packaging is a huge problem, drives me mad.

But I am ALL about the glitter. Does eco friendly glitter exist? Can someone post a link?

MrsOverTheRoad Fri 17-Nov-17 23:24:53

OP MICA is the environmentally friendly version of glitter....but....and it's a big but, it's mined by children.

www.smh.com.au/world/the-grind-and-grief-behind-the-glitter-20140118-311f8.html

It's what they used back in the 40s and earlier on Christmas cards and it's actually a nicer look than the modern version.

But I can't bring myself to buy it.

dantdmistedious Fri 17-Nov-17 23:26:17

My local pubs have scrapped plastic straws recently too - a good thing imo.

Slartybartfast Fri 17-Nov-17 23:29:09

My dh, school caretaker in the past, would be So relieved to hear this, it was the bane of his life

BananasAreGood Fri 17-Nov-17 23:29:48

Yes!!

www.ecoglitterfun.com

drizzletits Sat 18-Nov-17 10:01:22

I foresee a new business venture .....

BarbarianMum Sat 18-Nov-17 10:03:58

I don't know of environmentally friendly glitter exists but if there is amarket for it I'm sure it'll exist soon.

LittleWingSoul Sat 18-Nov-17 10:07:36

The RSPCA have also a made a statement that 'reindeer food' (i.e. oats and glitter left out for Santa's reindeer) is harmful to wildlife because critters ingest the glitter along with the oats left out. Even edible glitter is inadvisable. Carrots are preferable for rudolph and prancer!

Fruitcocktail6 Sat 18-Nov-17 10:14:44

The RSPCA have also a made a statement that 'reindeer food' (i.e. oats and glitter left out for Santa's reindeer)

Jesus, are people really stupid enough to do this?

Guiltybystander Sat 18-Nov-17 10:19:10

There is hardly anything I hate more than glitter. Awful vile stuff that's scattered all over the place by clumsy handed little kids. I am very happy they are banning it.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Sat 18-Nov-17 10:20:52

It's a small step . And a strange thing to be angry about ! I wthink kid salute them for their eco principles and ask what's next in their quest to help save the planet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now