Talk

Advanced search

Baby sleeping through the night

(67 Posts)
SadieContrary Fri 17-Nov-17 04:57:31

Parents
At what point can you claim victory and say that your DC sleeps through the night? 7mo and two nights running. Am I jinxing myself? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

AprilShowers16 Fri 17-Nov-17 05:17:00

DS 15 months, has slept through the night about 7 times in his life. Each time I've thought 'this is it!' But it hasn't been πŸ˜©πŸ˜† I'm not sure he's ever done it twice in a row though so I would just go for it and claim victory! Just make sure they don't hear you 😝

SylvanusWindrunner Fri 17-Nov-17 05:31:39

Don't jinx it. My daughter slept through the night for a week at 6 months having always been a pretty good sleeper. She then stopped sleeping altogether and is often up every 1-2 hours all night. And it's showing no sign of improvement yet Months later.

glow1984 Fri 17-Nov-17 06:08:25

DS has mostly been doing this since 4 months, and still does now at 16 months, unless he is ill or teething. We have been very lucky.

I first claimed victory when he did it for more than 5 days in a row grin

Sirzy Fri 17-Nov-17 06:11:44

Just enjoy each night as it happens but keep in mind that it could change at any time.

tinypop4 Fri 17-Nov-17 06:31:39

Dd did it from 12 weeks and then never woke in the night again apart from illness. She lulled me into having a 2ns baby, who spent 8 months waking every hour, then slept through the night now and again to make me think I'd got there. He's 2 now and still a pain in the butt with his sleep!
Enjoy it while you can, you never know if it's sorted or a nice phase!

SadieContrary Fri 17-Nov-17 06:31:51

Noted! In the last two months she’s really only been up the once for a quick boobie feed which seemed more of a comfort thing than hunger because it was so short.
I’ll refrain from counting my chickens just yet!

JoieDeFuckingVivre Fri 17-Nov-17 07:28:50

DS1 is 3 and still waiting....

Emabrmsca Fri 17-Nov-17 07:29:24

Dd is 3 and she still doesn't sleep through the night!

SadieContrary Fri 17-Nov-17 08:04:57

3?? 😩
Hugs to you both, I’ll be a basket case if that happens

AprilShowers16 Fri 17-Nov-17 08:05:47

DS 15 months, has slept through the night about 7 times in his life. Each time I've thought 'this is it!' But it hasn't been πŸ˜©πŸ˜† I'm not sure he's ever done it twice in a row though so I would just go for it and claim victory! Just make sure they don't hear you 😝

Angelicinnocent Fri 17-Nov-17 08:15:09

DS never slept at night at all and only in 30 minute naps during the day until he was over 6 months old but never disturbed me again at night after that until he turned 18! DD slept through from being a few weeks old until she was 18 months and then had me up every night until she turned 10.

Don't think you can ever win!

Kit2015 Fri 17-Nov-17 08:17:08

Dd slept through the night 2 days before her 2nd birthday. I thought this is it.
She's now 2 and a half and sleeps through maybe once a month. And for some reason I always feel worse if I've had a full night, it just never seems enough confused

Cantgetagoodusername Fri 17-Nov-17 08:26:43

I would claim victory after around a week! DD slept through at 14 months. Still waiting for DS to sleep through he's 9 months!

user1471459936 Fri 17-Nov-17 08:41:38

3 years and still not yet...

Desmondo2016 Fri 17-Nov-17 08:44:40

With all 4 of mine once they nailed it between 8 and 12 weeks we have never had any issues unless ill. Get a couple more nights behind you then you claim it girl!

Scrowy Fri 17-Nov-17 08:50:07

It's a victory when they sleep through and you also do too grin . For the first week DD started sleeping through (around 7 months) I still ended up waking up at the times she would have usually woken up anyway.

ZZZZ1111 Fri 17-Nov-17 08:55:16

Who are you planning on telling that your DC sleeps through the night? You know all your fellow wakeful baby comrades won’t appreciate you telling them!

HumpHumpWhale Fri 17-Nov-17 08:56:22

DS slept through for a week at 6 months. Then for a couple of months at 3ish. Now he's 4 and he cosleeps with DH while I cosleeps with 17 month old DD who has never ever slept through (we had to move to a smaller house so DS no longer has his own room. He and DH started in separate beds but it didn't last.)

Not sure I have a point here. I think I'm just whinging.

Anticyclone Fri 17-Nov-17 08:58:40

Another one waiting for a 3yo to sleep through... [hmmm]

MrTrebus Fri 17-Nov-17 08:59:08

From 3 weeks old now 7 months still sleeping through 7pm-7am. Feeling pretty smug right now til it changes

WowserBowser Fri 17-Nov-17 09:05:29

Both mine slept through from about 6 weeks. Really good sleepers. My one year old has been paying me back for it for the passed 6 weeks bear

TheVoiceOfTreason Fri 17-Nov-17 09:10:13

Pregnant with first child, this thread terrifies me...

Those of you with three year olds who don't sleep through the night - what do they wake up for? Feeding still? Just crying and wanting comforting? Eek! sad

I had chronic asthma as a kid and used to wake up a lot in the night wheezing but I just assumed most healthy kids would sleep through the night by about 1yo ish! confused

hellsbellsmelons Fri 17-Nov-17 09:13:08

3 months.
But I was going back to work and it was nearly 20 years ago when CIO was recommended so that's what we did.
2 nights of hell and then all sorted.
But don't do that!!!!

Cornettoninja Fri 17-Nov-17 09:24:22

thevoice my advice is not to think about it. You'll get what you get and you'll survive be fine whatever, you just get on with what you need to.

Dd (almost 2 - never slept through and is still co-sleeping so I get some sleep) is just one of life's cuddlers. She just needs the contact. It took a long time for me to accept that and I really regret spending so much time battling it instead of working out strategies for me to cope with it. I really think I made the situation worse trying to make her behave in way she had no natural ability to do.

Fwiw she's extremely confident and outgoing (no missing her when she's in a room - you wouldn't lose her at Wembley!) but she needs the cuddles and contact to sleep well. She's fine at the childminders but still prefers to nap where everyone is grin

Hope you get to be a smug well-rested mum though! cake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now