Talk

Advanced search

Need some suggestions for my sons birthday

(19 Posts)
FreshHerbs Tue 14-Nov-17 23:32:20

My sons birthday is on Jan 2nd. He will be 6 soon. Every year I struggle for something to do as most places are closed being a bank holiday and all that. We don’t do party’s as we will have had lots of get togethers with friends and family over the Xmas/new year period, We live in West Midlands. I’m looking for any suggestions on somewhere I can take him and the family so he feels that he has had a good day. Last year we went to The magic Lantern Festival at Botanical Gardens. The only thing I can find for us to do on the day is The BlueMan Group at the NIA but it is so so so expensive. Any suggestions would be appreciated

bert3400 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:37:02

How about sledging at Milton Keynes or Tamworth . Both have indoor ski slopes. Or indoor skydiving ...my son loved both.

FreshHerbs Tue 14-Nov-17 23:50:52

Is that open on the 2nd Jan though, if so will defo have a look into that. Thanks

Jakeyboy1 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:51:26

Don't know if it's open on that day but have you tried Wonderland at Telford - that's good? Or the panto will be on at Hippodrome?
Normally something on at Town Hall around that time too.
Do the theatre coupled with meal around Brindleyplace and sea life centre (I'm just bankrupting you here!)
Severn Valley Railway?

Jakeyboy1 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:54:23

Ah nothing on at Town Hall but 101 Dalmations on at The Rep. Hippodrome panto is Cinderella and always good.

Swirlingasong Tue 14-Nov-17 23:55:46

Panto - you can get them to sing happy birthday to him!

FreshHerbs Tue 14-Nov-17 23:56:23

Thanks Jakeyboy1. Open to all suggestions so will defo take a look. Thanks mate

millifiori Tue 14-Nov-17 23:57:50

Panto or a film. Have a party late rin the month once they're back at school. A big cake with candles always makes the day feel special.

Icequeen01 Wed 15-Nov-17 00:05:15

Does he like Harry Potter? The Warner Bros Studio in Watford is open on 2nd Jan. My son loved it there although you would probably have to book now.

MiddleClassProblem Wed 15-Nov-17 00:05:49

The sea life centre is open and guessing similar attractions or museums will be too x

FreshHerbs Wed 15-Nov-17 00:07:55

We don’t do a party’s on that day because most parents I no are still nursing a hangover due to new year or just don’t want to come out their houses as back to school/work on the 3rd. Plus we cram in a lot of party’s and get togethers over the Xmas period ourselves so really can’t face being around more kids then we have to when all the celebrations are over (sounds harsh) we always have a cake on the day but it’s a bit of a tradition just to do something on the day as a family now. When he was 4 and younger we would change the day around to another day so we would be spoilt for choice off things to do but can’t do that now hehe

DamsonIcecream Wed 15-Nov-17 00:09:04

Tobogganing at Ackers is cheap and cheerful. No need to book in advance. Then back for hot chocolate and cake afterwards.

Or try rock-climbing with a friend at Rock Up in Broadway Plaza. There are lots of eateries for afters, or even a movie at Broadway Odeon.

Next year, the new Lego Discovery Centre will be open smile

Don’t spend a fortune - it just makes everything anxious.

FreshHerbs Wed 15-Nov-17 00:09:06

Trying to stay around the West Midlands area but looking into a pantomime now. Can’t believe I never thought of it before. Thanks for all suggestions

FreshHerbs Wed 15-Nov-17 00:10:06

Ackers is brilliant. We go there lots. So much to do there. smile

Leeds2 Wed 15-Nov-17 00:25:21

Ten pin bowling.

BusyBeez99 Wed 15-Nov-17 06:00:08

Don’t worry in a few years it will be back to school on that day so you can do the party at the weekend

EmilyChambers79 Wed 15-Nov-17 07:17:00

Why don't you just do it the weekend after his birthday?

But the Hippodrome Panto is fab. Best £350 we spend each year!

BrieAndChilli Wed 15-Nov-17 07:27:48

Things like bowling, cinema, swimming at a fun pool like Alton towers, space centre, etc

He will want to start having parties with his friends though, you can have that any time. DS1 Birthday is 22nd December and we’ve had his party on various dates between 2nd Dec and 8th Jan depending on various factors. DS2 friends birthday is in August and he normally has his party in October! I know mother people who have the birthday party on the half birthday when everything is open.

Smarshian Wed 15-Nov-17 08:01:23

2nd January isn't a bank holiday so can't see why most places won't be open. It is sometimes if 1st falls on a weekend but it's a Monday this year. Most people I know are back to work etc on 2nd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now