Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To sack this off?

(7 Posts)
Catbumbloop Tue 14-Nov-17 20:14:32

I had a bad car accident back last year. As part of my compensation my solicitor has arranged for me to have cognitive behavioural therapy to combat my fear of driving in narrow lanes (which is where the accident occurred) So as not to drip feed a van hit me and my baby head on down a narrow lane, he was using the lane as a race track. Originally drove off but came back when he realised that my baby was injured.

I suffered injuries (as did my son) which we claimed compensation for but the fear of driving down narrow lanes wouldn't go away so they've sent me for CBT.

I have had 10 sessions of CBT with my counsellor. I can now say that I have come to accept what happened and am no longer having terrible nightmares etc since I've been having CBT.

The problem is that I personally don't think I will ever get over my fear of driving down narrow lanes. I don't feel that the CBT is helping with that side of things and the techniques are never going to work in relation to my fear of driving down narrow lanes.

I just want to put the situation to bed, settle my claim and move on with my life. Going to the CBT sessions is time consuming. My DH thinks I should carry on with it.

WWYD and has anyone had similar experiences?

EmilyChambers79 Tue 14-Nov-17 20:37:07

Hope you and your Son are both fully recovered?

I had a serious car accident when I was 21. My friend was driving and we stopped at a roundabout to give way. A car went into us from behind, pushed us out into the roundabout where we hit the wall head on and then hit from the driver side by a bus that was coming round. The driver was a female who drove off and was never caught.

I had CBT as I was very anxious about being a passenger in the car. It helped slightly, but I didn't carry on. I'm 37 now and absolutely fine when driving myself but I still get sweaty hands when I stop at roundabouts and I'm unbearable as a passenger because I hate not being in control.

I don't think I will ever feel safe or comfortable at roundabouts but I drive them because I have to and I'm safe on the roads.

Have you drove down any narrow roads since?

Catbumbloop Tue 14-Nov-17 21:05:25

Hi emily our physical injuries are fully recovered thankfully.

My sat nav had directed me down a road which meant I had to drive down a narrow lane. I got a little into it and started to have a panic attack, had to reverse and turn back. I don't think I will ever be able to do it and the techniques used in CBT don't really help with that sort of thing I don't think.

I have to say though the CBT has helped immensely with coming to terms with it and accepting what happened.

Glad you recovered flowers

NoKidsTwoCats Tue 14-Nov-17 21:08:32

Have you considered having some driving lessons with an empathetic instructor? They may be able to work with you to build up confidence with practical baby steps x

furryous Tue 14-Nov-17 21:09:02

You may affect your claim value if you don't follow the expert advice and continue. It's crap but insurers will do anything to wriggle out of/reduce how much they pay. I had terrible trouble when 2 therapists refused to treat me and the insurers said I was obstructing treatment and tried to offer 10% of what I finally settled for. Even if you think it's not working, grit your teeth and ride it out. Good luck

KarmaStar Tue 14-Nov-17 21:20:37

How awful for you,I'm so sorry to hear of this rtc.
I had a very serious rtc about 25 years ago and yes the fear has worn off by itself.
It could be that over time you regain your confidence although you shouldn't push yourself.
A friend had hypnotherapy and it worked,she has no trouble at all now.
However carefully we drive,we have to accept that there are idiots who somehow passed their test and race along oblivious to anything but how quickly they can drive.keep up with the counselling,try to include a very short narrow road in a journey perhaps just to get your confidence back in being in charge of your vehicle in a confined road space.
But ultimately,be kind to yourself,take it really slowly and don't force yourself to do too much.
So glad you and baby are completely recovered.
Good luck in the future

everythingtwinklesatxmas Tue 14-Nov-17 21:27:24

Cbt can work and be effective but finding the right therapist is key. I would at least consider this an option before deciding. A combination of managing anxiety and desensitisation may be beneficial if this is something that hasn’t already been attempted.
I’m glad both you and your son have recovered from the accident OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now