Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to smell like a man?

(26 Posts)
Skarossinkplunger Tue 14-Nov-17 19:10:41

I have absorbent skin and any nice light flowery perfume vanishes on me within minutes and only the heavier ones remain. The heavier scents also seem to smell different on me, for example when I used to wear Poison loads of people would ask
what my lovely perfume was and when I told them they would say “it doesn’t smell like that on me”.

I always wear Chanel No5 as my going out perfume and for day time I’ve worn Poison, Black Opium and Vivienne Westwood Boudoir, but I fancy a change and my mum asked me what I would like for Christmas so I trawled round my local department store having a squirt and settled on Viktor Rolf Spicebomb. I have just received a text from my mum asking if I knew it was a mans fragrance? Part of me ‘thinks what the hell, I like it’ the other thinks people with think I’ve been raiding DH’s aftershave stash. What do I do?

kaytee87 Tue 14-Nov-17 19:12:18

I often wear my husbands deodorant and my mum wears her husbands aftershave sometimes. If it’s a scent you like I don’t see why it matters.

Skarossinkplunger Tue 14-Nov-17 19:44:03

That’s the way I’m leaning Kaytee

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Tue 14-Nov-17 19:48:25

If you like it who cares?

NoKidsTwoCats Tue 14-Nov-17 19:50:56

Go for it. If you like it, who cares if it's 'intended' for men!

cardibach Tue 14-Nov-17 19:53:52

I wore Eau Sauvage all through University. Men’s fragrances are sometimes cleaner.

condepetie Tue 14-Nov-17 20:02:25

Naw, I love all the Old Spice deodorant sprays, particularly Wolfthorn, and have some custom-made perfumes that smell more masculine. "Manly" fragrances are just nicer to me.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 14-Nov-17 20:03:06

I wear one of the Creed ones that’s all Lavendery and spicy - it’s gorgeous and was really cheap

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 14-Nov-17 20:04:13

Quite a few fragrances are unisex, so if you like it, you have it. I really like Spicebomb.

cuirderussie Tue 14-Nov-17 20:06:16

There's no such thing as men or women's perfume really, it's just marketing. In the Middle East , men wear rose perfume. I am partial to a butch leather myself!

BlurryFace Tue 14-Nov-17 20:18:23

When you think about it, women are "supposed to" find men's fragrance rather nice aren't we? DH and I don't usually wear perfumes, but some of his deodorants and shower gel smell gorgeous.

AnnaleeP Tue 14-Nov-17 20:58:33

I love boudoir.

Most of the scents I like are "men's" ones but I don't think it matters really. I don't think anyone smelling it on you would notice.

Batteredoldchesterfield Tue 14-Nov-17 21:01:59

I wear Jean Paul Gaultier Pour Homme. It's not overtly masculine....smells like lovely fresh shampoo to me. The Pour Femme on the other hand is too sickly sweet for me.

Batteredoldchesterfield Tue 14-Nov-17 21:04:56

My absolute favourite was the original Gucci, now sadly discontinued. Was heavy musk and orange blossom. I also lime Samsara and Opium.

IAmcuriousyellow Tue 14-Nov-17 21:07:38

My favourite ever is Diorella which could just as easily be worn by a man without comment, wear what you love the smell of, never mind the name.

LanaKanesLeftNippleTassle Tue 14-Nov-17 21:09:50

I wear mens scent all the time.

It sits better on me than floral or very "feminine" scents.

Someone who was very goos.with scent told me years ago that your own pheremones affect the way a scent works on you....and to ignore brands and mens and womens labels and just find one that works for you.

dantdmistedious Tue 14-Nov-17 21:10:29

I wear my husbands all the time.

LanaKanesLeftNippleTassle Tue 14-Nov-17 21:11:26

My friend also female swears by mens Paco Rabanne and Hugo Boss.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Tue 14-Nov-17 21:12:23

Nah, I wear men's deodorant all the time, it smells fresher. I would happily wear men's aftershave.

PerfumeIsAMessage Tue 14-Nov-17 21:12:46

More and more perfumes are marketed and critiqued as unisex these days.
Most of the new ones I.have, I couldn't tell you if they were men's or women's!

maddiemookins16mum Tue 14-Nov-17 21:14:58

Our current every day shower gel is for men, it's great.

Trollingwithmyhomies Tue 14-Nov-17 21:15:32

I read this as ‘like a nan’ and was coming on to talk about Pond’s Cold Cream and Yardley Norfolk Lavender. grin

marciagetscreamed Tue 14-Nov-17 21:18:58

I read this, and your list of preferred scents OP, and realised that I too smell like a man.

But no one seems to complain.

cuirderussie Tue 14-Nov-17 21:29:08

iamcurious yes, Diorella is almost identical to Dior's Eau Sauvage. Love them both.

Skarossinkplunger Tue 14-Nov-17 21:38:53

Oh Ponds cold cream! Fond memories of my grandma!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now