Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to not want my boys playing gta!

(70 Posts)
Runlovingmummy81 Tue 14-Nov-17 17:11:54

So my ex husband (those of you who have seen my posts before will know he is emotionally abusive and controlling) has decided it is appropriate to let the boys play grand theft auto. They are 5 and 6.

Ffs

The youngest must of mentioned it at school today as he said his teacher has said he shouldn't play it!

Aibu to speak to her tomorrow to let her know they do it at their dads not mine and see if she will raise it?

I've messaged him but no reply as yet.

Wolfiefan Tue 14-Nov-17 17:13:24

Perhaps time to consider supervised visits?
My 14 year old doesn't play that.

doodle01 Tue 14-Nov-17 17:14:31

Raise it with who social care

Runlovingmummy81 Tue 14-Nov-17 17:15:38

He has them 6 nights out of 14!

MongerTruffle Tue 14-Nov-17 17:16:37

Of course YANBU. That game is absolutely horrendous.

Runlovingmummy81 Tue 14-Nov-17 17:17:32

The youngest said but we turn the swearing down!

Ttbb Tue 14-Nov-17 17:18:09

YANBU. Surely that constitutes low level child abuse?

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 14-Nov-17 17:20:03

Turns the swearing down but still sees the car thefts and abuse towards women.

I never let mine have GTA and it is a family joke that my 25 year old puts it on his Christmas list each year!

SummatFishyEre Tue 14-Nov-17 17:22:54

Absolutely not ok. It's a great game and some bits are harmless (going cycling, driving around, parachuting) but it is definitely not for children

SummatFishyEre Tue 14-Nov-17 17:23:23

Theres no abuse specifically towad women.

DaisyDukesShorts Tue 14-Nov-17 17:25:57

Yes tell the teacher and express your concerns to them and see if there is any way they can help you.

doodle01 Tue 14-Nov-17 17:31:46

Hes doing it to wind you up

DeleteOrDecay Tue 14-Nov-17 17:31:49

YANBU at all. It’s a game for adults, not children.

I don’t know why some parents let their young children play a game like this when there are so many age appropriate video games available. It’s like they want their kids to be exposed to violence and swearing from a young age or something, as if it is somehow beneficialconfused

Hissy Tue 14-Nov-17 17:32:44

Story mode is the issue, if they’re playing “online” they just drive about in cars and stuff

My ds is a preteen, only plays online gta, he says you can’t turn down the swearing and even he says it’s an inappropriate game for 5 and 6 yo kids.

He shouldn’t be exposing your kids to this game.

Runlovingmummy81 Tue 14-Nov-17 17:34:05

Doodle... You're right. But it's not right for the kids!

Hissy Tue 14-Nov-17 17:34:58

You need to tell him to stop it, or access will be reconsidered until he does.

He’s not being a responsible parent at all

Auntpetunia2015 Tue 14-Nov-17 17:37:37

It’s a PEGI 18 for a reason definition is something like contains actual scenes of sex, violence and bad language. If he’s not willing to be the parent then you need to report him to social services or ask school to do it as they must know him from pick ups etc.

Runlovingmummy81 Tue 14-Nov-17 17:37:40

Why are the boys playing grand theft auto at yours? This is not responsible behavior on your part. The boys should not be exposed to anything within this game. It's full of violence, swearing and sex. It's an 18 for a reason. Mrs??? has brought this up today, she is aware where this takes place.

That's what I've sent. We've got a child arrangement order in place.

Runlovingmummy81 Tue 14-Nov-17 17:40:37

I will speak with his teacher in the morning.

DeleteOrDecay Tue 14-Nov-17 17:43:32

Hopefully the fact that he boys’ teacher has raised consents will get him to buck his ideas up.

schoolgaterebel Tue 14-Nov-17 17:50:08

I never allowed gta in my house, I believe you can 'hire' a prostitution for sex (simulate sex with her) and then put punch her in the face and steal your money back from her and run off on your merry way to rob more banks and steal cars....why would anyone let their kids play that?

Islacornx Tue 14-Nov-17 17:50:49

Definitely inappropriate! On the game you can pick prostitutes off the street and have sex with them in your car, and there’s a strip club where you get lap dances off the female characters. Although it’s all graphics it does look very real and I think it’s quite worrying that their father would expose them to this at their age?!

Hope you get this sorted flowers

MissionItsPossible Tue 14-Nov-17 17:53:37

I would say no younger than 16 in my personal opinion, there is absolutely no need for a 5 and 6 year old to play that game and it's highly inappropriate for them.

Runlovingmummy81 Tue 14-Nov-17 18:13:40

His response...

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I'll discuss this if required.

Auntpetunia2015 Tue 14-Nov-17 18:14:01

I think your message is spot on. You didn’t raise it the teacher did she’s asked you and you can point her in his direction, this could seriously mess up his child arrangement if school take it further and I know in our school they would. Hopefully school hassling him with give him the kick up the arse he needs.

Here’s a link I give to parents about the pegi code meanings.

www.pegi.info/en/index/id/33/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now