Talk

Advanced search

To be disappointed that irresponsible puppy purchasing is still a massive issue

(10 Posts)
Veterinari Tue 14-Nov-17 14:47:40

news.sky.com/story/thousands-of-puppies-smuggled-into-the-uk-for-christmas-rush-11125675

Please don’t buy puppies off the internet or from dealers - you’re setting yourself up for heartache.

Use the puppy contract to ensure you have all the information you need to ensure your new family member is healthy
puppycontract.rspca.org.uk/home

CDeville Tue 14-Nov-17 15:12:28

Can you tell me a reputable dealer?

I'm after a fairly large number of dogs. Must be black and white.

Veterinari Tue 14-Nov-17 15:50:11

grin

Ah if only all irresponsible purchasers were so easy to spot!

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Tue 14-Nov-17 15:54:52

Gosh im slow today

Just got cdville post grin

TheQueenOfWands Tue 14-Nov-17 15:57:28

Can I post this?

It's the only Christmas video worth watching. And I'm sure these people used a proper breeder.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=oSJB54s8zcE

OliviaStabler Tue 14-Nov-17 15:57:40

Does anyone know someone who'd buy their kids a puppy for Christmas?

GovernorMarley Tue 14-Nov-17 16:14:14

I think the problem's compunded at the moment by the trendy breeds (french/english bulldogs, pugs etc) all being at increased risk of welfare issues due to their conformation/breed standards. Adding poor/unregulated breeding and poorly researched purchasing into the mix is a nightmare.

For anyone looking to get a hybrid/mixed breed puppy this looks like an interesting scheme: Hybrid Breeders Association

GovernorMarley Tue 14-Nov-17 16:16:01

Gosh, I do like /s!

Veterinari Tue 14-Nov-17 22:02:40

theQueen

I’m sure those parents meant well but no responsible breeder hands over puppies at Christmas and it’s a rubbish time to settle a puppy in - too many distractions and events going on.

Really sad that it’s clearly a thing though. There was a thread on here last week by a poster concerned her puppy might have rabies as he was illegally imported shockhmm

Why on earth you’d want to set yourself up for that kind of stress and heartache I have no idea

CloudPerson Tue 14-Nov-17 22:12:54

MN is choc full of responsible owners though (apparently...), RL not so much.
Most people I know don't give a fart about the provenance of a prospective puppy, just see a cute puppy on pets4homes and away you go, even better if it has a funny name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now