Talk

Advanced search

Can depression go on it's own?

(14 Posts)
rainonyourweddingday Tue 14-Nov-17 13:07:01

Posting here for traffic in hope of some replies so feel free to ignore (I know it’s annoying).

I’m not sure that I’m actually depressed or just having a bad month. I’ve not been to a GP as I’m hoping this will just pass and it’s a phase.

Does depression ever just go on its own? (If this even is depression?!)

How do you even know if you’re actually depressed or just a bit ‘down in the dumps’?

I’ve not been myself recently (the past month or so) and my colleagues have started to notice. I’m emotional, a bit vacant and just not my usual self. There hasn’t been any events or changes in my life to trigger me feeling like this. I’m reluctant to go to the GP. I’m not really sure why.

Will this just pass?

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

strangeEvents Tue 14-Nov-17 13:36:42

Yes, depression can pass by itself but as with so many other things, it's easier with help.

In my experience, the harder it is to ask for help, the bigger a problem is.

If others notice then it's time to seek support. Maybe a GP, maybe a friend.

It will be easier when you aren't dealing with this by yourself.

toolonglurking Tue 14-Nov-17 13:39:00

In my experience No. Counseling, antidepressants, a change in lifestyle, lots of different things can help but I don't believe it can just go.
Look after yourself, is there anywhere you can see that you can make some positive changes?

Theresamayscough Tue 14-Nov-17 13:41:19

It won’t go if you don’t recognise it and face it. If there’s been no material changes in your life or concrete reason for feeling down then why not see your GP. I think if others have noticed it’s time to get help. flowers

Tigerpaws57 Tue 14-Nov-17 13:50:10

There are certain signs and symptoms which indicate clinical depression and there is not always a precipitating factor. Do you find yourself waking earlier than usual and having difficulty getting back to sleep. Do you feel particularly low in the mornings but a little better as the day goes on? Have you lost your appetite or alternatively find you want to eat constantly? Are you tired and lacking in energy all the time? Do you find it difficult to concentrate? Have you stopped taking pleasure in things you would normally enjoy? If you answer yes to most of these, it is possible you are suffering from clinical depression and you should probably see your gp sooner rather than later.

Tigerpaws57 Tue 14-Nov-17 13:54:24

Please dont suffer alone. There is help available and there is no shame in asking for it. Hope you feel better soon OP

Choccopop Tue 14-Nov-17 13:55:35

Yes of course it can go on it’s own, but as pp has said it’s better to tackle it with help. Some people find things like meditation, mindfulness & exercise are preferable to medication when it comes to mild depression. Some people find charity work helps. Other people find cbt helps or medication or both. Different things work for different people. You won’t feel like this forever smile

Paddington68 Tue 14-Nov-17 14:07:16

The easy answer is no the less easy answer is maybe.
If you feel you are depressed first go and see your GP.
They may recommend counselling or tablets; sometimes if you are not sleeping they will tackle this first. They may also recommend taking some time off.
Try to eat sensibly, get outside and have a routine.

It may be that your depression is a reaction to circumstances if they change your depression may go, but obviously, that depends on a lot of factors.

rainonyourweddingday Tue 14-Nov-17 17:09:06

@Tigerpaws57 I could say yes to every question in you post apart from waking early (I’d stay in bed all day if I could) and the eating. Some days I eat all day long and days like today I’ve only had a biscuit.

There is nothing at all that I can think to have triggered me feeling like this which is really frustrating for me. Everything is fine like work, money etc and I have lots of things to look forward to but I just don’t feel happy. I couldn’t say I feel sad either...more just empty if that makes any sense at all?

rainonyourweddingday Tue 14-Nov-17 17:09:51

I’ve lost my ‘get up and go’ and enthusiasm for everything.

Tigerpaws57 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:06:12

It does sound like you could be suffering from depression OP and you have my sympathy as it is not a pleasant experience. It can be difficult to admit to especially if you don't feel there is a reason, but often a first step to feeling better is to talk to someone about it. Do you have a partner, friends or family who you could open up to? Just sharing your feelings with someone else can sometimes put them into a different perspective. Taking extra good care of yourself ie eating more healthily, taking some gentle exercise each day (walking is ideal), going to bed at a reasonable time (no screens in the bedroom) but not lying in too late in the morning. Try to eliminate any unneccesary work or stress for the time being, maybe take a few days annual leave and just generally be nice to yourself - bubble baths, movies on the sofa, girly magazines and hot chocolate. (Wine is not your friend at the moment as it is a depressant). Hopefully your mood will lift with some self-care but if not, please do contact your GP. They will discuss the suitability of medication with you. Anti- depressants are often really effective in improving mood although they take a few weeks to work. They may refer you for counselling but be warned, there are generally very long waiting lists on the nhs. Also, it might help you to read up a little bit about mood disorders and how other people deal with them. A good place to start is the MIND website. Sorry - this has turned into an essay but I hope it will be of some help to you and that you will soon be feeling better. Take care.

PeiPeiPing Tue 14-Nov-17 23:12:57

Depression never goes. Once it's been dealt with (via counselling / anti-d's etc,) it lies dormant.

But it never goes.

Like an eating disorder.

You can manage it and curb it somewhat, but it never truly goes.

Shiela2017 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:17:04

Low vitamin D3 levelscan cause low mood. Just a thought if you have had no triggar. I lost a baby and was depressed, I refused medication and with time I know feel better. I've done lots of healthy eating and exercise which I think has helped xx

FastWindow Tue 14-Nov-17 23:29:35

Think about it like this, if it helps.

If your foot went numb, for no reason - no external trauma, no circulation problems that you know of, looks fine etc. Looks fine to you.
But other people say your foot looks not fine. People that know what your foot normally looks like.
Off to the doctors, get a diagnosis, can't bloody feel my foot doc, what's wrong with it?

But: My brain has gone numb. Can't feel a thing. No reason why, so I won't go to the doc. Must just be me.

Depression in my experience is defined by the lack of any reason to feel so empty. So you don't, can't, class it as anything worth investigating.

All the more reason to go and have a chat with your GP. Could you try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now