Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This morning's irrational rage

(24 Posts)
Jedbartletforpresident Tue 14-Nov-17 12:06:47

Sitting writing Christmas cards this morning (disclaimer: most of these are being sent overseas and some are going within parcels which need to be sent in the next week or two hence doing them so early - this is not my AIBU!) and once again I am becoming more and more annoyed at people who have long addresses!

I honestly don't know why this bothers me, but it does! It bothers me even more because I am sending a ton of cards overseas and those addresses are far shorter - this seems utterly ridiculous to me!!!

For example:
Mr & Mrs X
10345 Smith Boulevard
City
State 00000
USA

5 lines to go overseas - compared to:

Mr & Mrs Y
The Old House
The Farmyard
Old Street
Old Town
Co. Old
Post Code
UK

I KNOW this is totally irrational but I fully have the rage about it this morning.

(It's not posh houses with posh addresses either - there are flats with long addresses (Mr Z, Flat 1, New House, 120-140 New Street, New Town, County, Postcode, UK))

angry

What is giving you the irrational rage this morning?

Dizzybacon Tue 14-Nov-17 12:11:37

I used to hate writting my address, it too was a farm address:-

The farm
2 little hamlet cottages
Little hamlet
Next to a sleepy village
Nr a town
County
Postcode

Drove me mad!

PurranormalCativity Tue 14-Nov-17 12:11:52

EVERYTHING gives me irrational rage until I have a cup of wonderfully calming coffee. Honestly, some days I'm a different person after a coffee grin

Dizzybacon Tue 14-Nov-17 12:12:48

Another family address was

xxxx north west
Grand Rapids
Zip code
USA

Simple

LanaKanesLeftNippleTassle Tue 14-Nov-17 12:13:26

Its not irrational per se...but we're desperately trying to get a private rental...and are in the extremely lucky position to be able to offer 12 MONTHS rent in advance.

Have found lovely, perfect house.

LL just called....not sure cos of one fuck up in DPs dim and distant past!!

FFS.....he'd have all the rent up front...we're not criminals, DP has a very good trade job where he will never be unemployed...who the fuck wouldn't jump at guaranteed rent for 12 months??

Grrrrrr.

Seeline Tue 14-Nov-17 12:14:45

Strictly speaking you should just be able to put the house number (possibly the name of the block for flats) and the postcode. IT should still get there - depends on how important the card is as to risking it or not grin
I have tried sending myself something that way and it did work.

LanaKanesLeftNippleTassle Tue 14-Nov-17 12:15:02

Oh and now he's gone on holiday for 3 weeks....

DappledThings Tue 14-Nov-17 12:20:08

Counties never required in the UK so that saves you a line.

I find a lot of people don't actually know their own address so will tell you it's got extra region bits in that Royal Mail don't recognise. For instance anyone who says it's:
1 Avenue Street
Brixton
London
SWX XXX
is just wrong and the Brixton bit can be ignored. Every time someone moves and gives me their new address I check it on the address finder on Royal Mail website, don't ever accept it as they say it!

SteelyPip Tue 14-Nov-17 12:20:28

My address used to be:

P.O. Box 256
Sharjah
U.A.E.

Would you have sent me a card gladly OP? grin

SequinRash Tue 14-Nov-17 12:21:22

I live in a building with a very long name, ugh it's such a ball ache to fill in forms.

Jedbartletforpresident Tue 14-Nov-17 12:32:51

Yes Steely I would have done!!!

Dizzy - I have one which has a "Nr town" in it too - I'm pretty sure the Royal Mail know where the bloody village is!!!

Counties are a funny thing - some places use them and some don't - in Scotland I don't know anyone who uses them (I think they're actually regions in Scotland, not counties - but same thing), whereas in NI - everyone uses them and they are very much a part of the address. My inlaws live in a county in the south of England that seem to use them whereas other family live in other parts of England and never use them. Weird!!

Jedbartletforpresident Tue 14-Nov-17 12:34:15

Dappled - I think that's it really - I also think some people are very attached to those parts of their address that aren't actually needed!!!!

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Tue 14-Nov-17 12:35:30

When I was growing up we lived right on the border between two villages. DM insisted that we lived in village A (which was considered slightly posher), and DD thought it was village B because the local pub, community centre, school etc were all named after village B and it was just easier (and he was probably right).

Whenever a relative addressed a card to us using village B, DM would go out of her way to “correct” them, even though there was nothing wrong with Village B.

Now when I address anything to my parents I leave out both Village A and Village B and just use the name of the nearest City.

TheQueenOfWands Tue 14-Nov-17 12:37:13

Here.

Everyone should do this and the post office could just distribute them evenly.

Bringmewineandcake Tue 14-Nov-17 12:37:18

My irrational rage this morning was elder DD holding onto the pushchair, because it means it pulls slightly to one side and also slows my speed blush I contained it tho because it was entirely irrational and the poor kid is only trying to be close!

FreudianSlurp Tue 14-Nov-17 12:39:35

Someone has 'tidied up' my unfiled paperwork so that the larger sheets are at the bottom, and ruined my system of priority at the top. I feel like setting fire to the lot of it, but I've got to wade through it all to find a letter that I have to scan and send today.

OP get a Dymo LabelWriter, they're invaluable for this sort of thing!

DappledThings Tue 14-Nov-17 12:53:40

People might like to use counties but they shouldn't and you absolutely don't have to. I have a lot of friends in NI (I went to QUB) and none of my Xmas cards to them will include the county.

Jedbartletforpresident Tue 14-Nov-17 13:24:58

Bringmewineandcake have yourself some wine and cake for holding it in - that has got to be one of the most difficult things to contain! My DC are all long past the stage of pushchairs now but they all want to push the bloody trolley around the supermarket and it takes every ounce of my being not to gripe at them to leave it alone and let me get on with it!!

Bringmewineandcake Tue 14-Nov-17 16:29:30

Thank you Jed grin
Ah yes trollies too, as if they’re not already hard enough to manoeuvre!

BalloonSlayer Tue 14-Nov-17 16:36:06

In theory you should just be able to use the postcode and the house name/number and it should get there.

I quite like having a long address. I used to add the name of my little hamlet that was not really necessary at all because it sounded nice blush

I throwback perhaps from my childhood when I would write my address as:

Miss B Slayer
xx Blah street
Blahville
County Blah
England
Great Britain
Europe
Northern Hemisphere
The World
The Solar System
Unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Galaxy

etc

Oh what a wag I was! hmm

Witchend Tue 14-Nov-17 16:40:56

We have our Christmas addresses set up so they're printed out on the envelopes. I suggest that for next year.

LakieLady Tue 14-Nov-17 16:42:02

Most addresses are pretty short, eg

1 Something Road
Anytown Postcode

If you're in a flat, it might be

1 Thingy Court
Something Road
Anytown Postcode

If you're in a village, it's reasonable to put the village name before the post town, but not essential if the postcode is clear and correct. If you live in a big town or city, you don't need to put the area of the town in, and people who put things like Clapham, London SW4 XYY are just silly.

condepetie Tue 14-Nov-17 17:05:04

Yeah my address is annoying like this.

Flat X
Poncey Court
X Road
Town
County
Postcode

There's another Flat X, Poncey Court at Y Road which makes it worse! Constantly getting the mail mixed up and having online forms with postcode search only having Flat X, Road, so it's a tossup whether mail comes to my address or the people in the other flat. Sigh

problembottom Tue 14-Nov-17 17:37:26

My address is just:

XX STREET
MANCHESTER
POSTCODE

But sometimes when I fill in addresses online it makes me put a VILLAGE/SUBURB and a COUNTY too. Annoying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now