Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To want to rant about facebook/instagram performance parenting

(158 Posts)
Mumsiemummy1 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:19:55

I'll start of by saying I don't really know why I am even on social media as I don't really like it, but like many of us I am.

Now that I am a mum myself, and Manu of my friends and acquaintances have become mum's, it seems to have turned into a platform to show off your exceptional parenting skills, or your genius child.

This morning I have seen:
Mum who constantly posts about how her 3 months old loooooves so reading (cue endless pictures of baby propted up holding his own book)
Mum going on about how she is the ONLY mum at the soft play actually playing with their child while the rest of us apparently sit around on our phones
Mum who only posted celeb style, no face pictures of baby.
Mum cooking breakfast whilst simultaneously pumped breast milk (who the fuck asks someone to take that picture?!)

Just me that finds it soooo cringe and annoying?!

TheQueenOfWands Tue 14-Nov-17 10:21:25

Meh. They're happy. Happy is good.

Unfollow them if you don't want to see it.

60sname Tue 14-Nov-17 10:22:03

It's just a way to relieve the tedium.

GaryBarlowsTaxReturn Tue 14-Nov-17 10:22:36

It is cringed. I have a mum friend who makes sure her aga is in the background of all her photos grin

noidontdothat Tue 14-Nov-17 10:22:39

biscuit

Get off social media then.

Mumsiemummy1 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:23:04

@thequeenofwands are they happy though...I think the opposite

GaryBarlowsTaxReturn Tue 14-Nov-17 10:23:07

Cringey, even!

Katanna Tue 14-Nov-17 10:24:13

The reading 3 month old made me laugh! What a twat grin

x2boys Tue 14-Nov-17 10:24:23

People post all kinds of crap on facebook etc just ignore it ?

WineAndTiramisu Tue 14-Nov-17 10:25:21

I think it shows that they're not happy to be honest!

piggleiggle83949 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:25:35

YANBU

They are all knobs showing off.

I am on my knees with exhaustion which I agree might colour how I feel, but there is one twat (my SIL) who posts almost every single morning how her 6 week old slept 7-6 and she’s got such a well behaved baby.

Fuck off.

Yes you are lucky and it must be delightful to get so much sleep, but there’s no need to be so smug knowing full well there are lots of parents struggling. And it probably won’t last so just enjoy it and don’t feel the need to show off, because you will look like an idiot when regression or teething or illness kicks in smile

NerrSnerr Tue 14-Nov-17 10:27:46

I’d assume the reading 3 month old was meant as a joke?

WorraLiberty Tue 14-Nov-17 10:27:49

The reading 3 month old was clearly tongue in cheek.

No-one claims a 3 month old baby has actually been taught to independently read a book.

I think you need to see these things for the throwaway posts/photos they are OP and just hide them from your newsfeed.

And I say that as someone who never posted my kid's pics on Facebook, as I don't think it's something parents should do without their kid's permission.

FlowerPot1234 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:29:08

YANBU. Ghastly look-at-me-I-need-to-brag-and-make-myself-feel-better-by-portraying-my-life-as-oh-so-wonderful-to-you-all behaviour.

Mumsiemummy1 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:29:37

@nerrsnerr no not a joke, new picture new book most weeks 😂

WorraLiberty Tue 14-Nov-17 10:30:50

piggle it's her timeline though and her baby.

Why shouldn't she post about something that makes her so happy?

I get it's exhausting when you have a baby who doesn't sleep through (my eldest didn't until he was nearly 2 years old).

But everyone considered every single person on their friend list, they'd never post anything...not even holiday photos because there'll be people who can't afford a holiday.

juddyrockingcloggs Tue 14-Nov-17 10:32:55

A friend on Facebook (otherwise nice lass) posted last week that her 5 month old hadn’t worn a nappy in the daytime since being 2 months old because she ‘signs’ when she wants to go and so they have just put her over the potty. No accidents apparently.

Okaaaaaay.

HowDoYouWantToDoThis Tue 14-Nov-17 10:35:14

So unfollow them?

It really is that easy.

Foslady Tue 14-Nov-17 10:36:54

At least these are babies, I have someone on mine who still does this with her teenager.
I threaten to do the same to mine as punishment. She soon behaves.......grin

piggleiggle83949 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:38:23

Why shouldn't she post about something that makes her so happy?

She can post what she wants but it doesn’t make her look nice. Her wording is smug and she’s rubbing it in the faces of some of her friends and family who she is aware are struggling with sleep deprivation.

Yesterday was something like:

I’ve got such a well behaved baby. Yet again he’s slept all night without so much as a murmur from 7 till 6. Mummy is so proud to have such a good sleeper our routine is clearly working wonders

It’s not necessary! It makes people look ridiculous beaming with pride about a good nights sleep.

piggleiggle83949 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:39:13

A friend on Facebook (otherwise nice lass) posted last week that her 5 month old hadn’t worn a nappy in the daytime since being 2 months old because she ‘signs’ when she wants to go and so they have just put her over the potty. No accidents apparently.

grin

Bet her carpets smell of wee.

FlowerPot1234 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:39:59

HowDoYouWantToDoThis
So unfollow them?
It really is that easy.

I never understand posts like this. People are allowed to have opinions about what they observe in life. If the OP had come on and asked "how can I never see X again?" then posts like this would be appropriate, but how does the OP unfollowing her friends help? The posts which she finds cringeworthy still exist and since her post wasn't about the pain of seeing them, but about their existence, unfollowing doesn't change anything. And then by unfollowing she doesn't get to see the posts she wants to see. So rather a pointless suggestion.

Mustang27 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:40:48

Get rid I did about 6months into having my wee one. Have not regretted it one bit. Seriously just do it it’s liberating. I still have messenger app so my friends text or message when they want to chat so I’m definitely not missing out.

Mustang27 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:41:37

Oh so it’s 2yrs now I have survived.

Ttbb Tue 14-Nov-17 10:42:10

I actually enjoy looking at those kinds of pictures.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now