Talk

Advanced search

Expectation v reality

(4 Posts)
Rebeccaslicker Tue 14-Nov-17 08:38:09

Last night I was reading a chick lit book where the 2 main characters really hate each other at first. The usual sort of thing; a smouldering hero with a hidden soft spot, lots of sparkling dialogue and loads of sexual tension. I don't normally read this sort of thing, and it was an excellent rom-com, so I was really enjoying it.

But every time I tried to get really caught up in it, my real life romantic hero was talking to me about carpets instead of smouldering inscrutably; cooking stinky pork instead of seducing me in a hotel lift; swigging a beer whilst watching "the walking dead"; grunting as he heaved himself around the sofa to get comfortable; and finally belching after the efforts all combined.... sigh.

Totally ruined the moment! WIBU to think he could just have been a dashing swoonsome hero for an hour or two? Or frankly even just quiet would have done 😂

When did reality last intrude on your harmless fun?

doodle01 Tue 14-Nov-17 08:39:42

Were you wearing anything alluring

Rebeccaslicker Tue 14-Nov-17 08:44:25

Haha no, I am sure he could have written an equally damning post - I was in my work suit and eating lentil soup...

TathitiPete Tue 14-Nov-17 10:00:58

Agreed OP, I was reading Shutter Island recently and not then nor since has DH begun to resemble Leonardo DiCaprio! Or Mark Ruffalo! The cheek! grin

Mind you I wouldn't regularly be mistaken for Kate Beckinsale or ScarJo so I suppose I'll have to keep my irritation to myself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: