Talk

Advanced search

...to ask what your criteria for a life partner would be if you had to choose one now?

(115 Posts)
NeverMetACakeIDidntLike Mon 13-Nov-17 23:17:13

(Tongue in cheek)

I met DH when I was 20. I chose him based on interests in common and his dashing good looks.

I’m now 37 and wish i’d discovered:
- that he didn’t sleep through the night until he was 5 (and he seems to have passed this onto our DD1)
- that he seems to take longer and longer to do a poo as he’s getting older and I seem to spend half my life waiting for him to get off the loo.

So... whilst ‘did you sleep well as a baby?’ and ‘are you likely to consider having a poo as one of your major hobbies later in life?’ are not good chat-up lines, I feel like I should have asked them before I committed...AIBU?

RedPandaMama Mon 13-Nov-17 23:20:27

YANBU!

I feel you on the poo thing. hmm at DP.

I found out about his awful snoring pretty early on and learned to live with it, it's almost calming now. Almost.

I wish I'd known about his other annoying habits before moving in with him though (not that they would have changed my mind) - hanging laundry in a meticulously annoying way and having a hissy fit whenever it gets knocked off the maiden, having absolutely no arrangement and just throwing things into the fridge willy nilly - pasta in the veg drawer, anyone? -

usernameinfinito Mon 13-Nov-17 23:22:22

Money money money must be funny

RedPandaMama Mon 13-Nov-17 23:23:21

Oops hadn't finished!

And the other one, which is SO annoying, asking if I want anything from downstairs when I'm busy and cant move, for example breastfeeding the baby in bed, going downstairs for about 20 minutes, then coming back without the item, AND THEN when I say 'erm, where's the yogurt?' he does this giant exhasperated sigh! Well you did ask if I wanted anything! He does trot off and get it though so he's a good'un really grin

Outnotdown Mon 13-Nov-17 23:28:16

Wish I'd checked whether he thought wiping crumbs off the counter is important.

Also that he could eat spaghetti quietly.

Outnotdown Mon 13-Nov-17 23:30:20

Oh and totally agree with the sleeping as a baby one, we haven't had an uninterrupted night in seven years [sobs]

NeverMetACakeIDidntLike Mon 13-Nov-17 23:32:18

@username - I definitely went for ‘funny’ over ‘money’...!

usernameinfinito Mon 13-Nov-17 23:35:28

Never same here, but I wish we could be laughing all the way to the bank 😅

C0untDucku1a Mon 13-Nov-17 23:36:59

Do you know how to keep jam out of the butter?
Are you aware of how cupboard doors are closed?
Can you speak clearly, rather than mutter so people do not have to ask you to repeat what you said after EVERY FUCKING THING YOU SAY?!?!?!
Are you familiar with the truth?
Do you know how to lift the toaster and wipe for crumbs?
Do you have any ambition at all?

i might be slightly annoyed with dh this evening

Bufferingkisses Mon 13-Nov-17 23:37:40

Do you huff and puff whilst doing perfectly normal tasks such as washing up?

He's totally happy to do these jobs, never needs a prompt, just makes more noise about it than your local am dram player doing a death scene grin

HashtagNofilter Mon 13-Nov-17 23:39:55

I would have had him tested for that common disorder that sees to affect males - dishwasher blindness.

NeverMetACakeIDidntLike Mon 13-Nov-17 23:39:55

Love these! Think we should consider an education program for the younger generations. Don’t ‘just’ rely on love. There are other, equally as important factors... Do you want to spend your life with someone who can’t close cupboard doors?! Of course you don’t...

HashtagNofilter Mon 13-Nov-17 23:40:49

*seems, not sees hmm

MargotLovedTom1 Mon 13-Nov-17 23:42:49

Whether he has smelly feet, and if he does whether he will do something about them!

FlouryBap Mon 13-Nov-17 23:44:00

That he would EITHER do some DIY or be prepared to call tradesmen to do things. Instead he likes to pop to point out things “we” need to do around the place.

ChameNangerRanger Tue 14-Nov-17 00:00:11

Would love to have found someone that talked to me.

Did not realise that I would tire of always being the one making conversation.

And someone that takes pleasure in life and isn't self centred.

ChameNangerRanger Tue 14-Nov-17 00:01:23

Oh - and more in the spirit of the thread - someone who Didn't wet the bed til they were 13 (passed on to our dc sadly)

NoSwsForYou Tue 14-Nov-17 00:07:23

Someone who flushes their wee
Someone with the same body clock as me - immaturely wake between 7-9 and naturally want to go to bed at 10-11. DP naturally wakes 10-11 and goes to bed anytime after midnight. It sounds like such a silly thing but if we want to do stuff together as a family it's always either and DS (earlier riser like me) waiting around for half the day for DP or DP getting up 'early' to suit us!

Someone who doesn't make SO MUCH NOISE doing the simplest of things like burping or opening a kitchen cupboard.
Someone who only knows how to decorate a house the same way his mother does (red, black, white and grey)

RedBullBlood Tue 14-Nov-17 00:08:39

Be Tom Hardy.

Bufferingkisses Tue 14-Nov-17 00:17:13

Ooh, know how to use a door handle at night without rattling so much your partner wakes up thinking someone is storming the place!

This is a good outlet!

Also, can I confess here thst I have no idea who Tom Hardy is?!

RedBullBlood Tue 14-Nov-17 00:31:18

YOU DON'T KNOW WHO TOM HARDY IS? ARE YOU SERIOUS, WOMAN?!! grin

Bufferingkisses Tue 14-Nov-17 01:08:38

Guess not then blush

Ok I'll Google. Best be life changing grin

usernameinfinito Tue 14-Nov-17 01:13:35

This thread is funny. I found the perfect man once, handsome, intelligent, well dressed, good at dyi, could fix cars, etc. But he is gay. And I am a woman. 🙈

liverbird10 Tue 14-Nov-17 02:06:36

To not be as thoroughly irritating as the one I have shared my life, house and world with for the past 16 years.

I have no doubt that he would say the same about me... in a blindly loving and affectionate way, of course! grin

willyougotobed Tue 14-Nov-17 02:31:29

I met dh a bit later in life after an abusive relationship. I looked for culture and kindness. They have served me well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now