Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to withdraw from new job?

(7 Posts)
SisyphusHadItEasy Mon 13-Nov-17 22:14:21

I was hired on to two different part time jobs last month.

The hires occurred 5 days apart, job 1 came first. I started working job 2 3 days after I was hired, job one faffed around, changed my start date 3 times, and a month later, I have only worked one 3-hour orientation shift.

Job 2 (initially supposed to be seasonal) offered me a permanent leadership position yesterday. I informed them I would like a day or two to think about it, but would have an answer regardless by Wednesday. Today, I stopped to check my mobile on my break at job 2 and had received a text that Job 1 had cancelled my next shift (still training) as she had scheduled it without realising that she had a meeting to attend at the same time.

Clearly, the needs of job 2 are more defined than the needs of job 1, the actions of both of the managers have made that clear. As a result, I informed the manager at company 1 this afternoon that I was withdrawing my acceptance of the job offer (law here states either party can end the employment for no reason in the first 90 days). As I am now not committed to company 1, I have accepted the leadership role at company 2, and have advised them that my availability has increased.

Do you think I was in the wrong?

AlternativeTentacle Mon 13-Nov-17 22:15:26

no, why would you be in the wrong?

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Mon 13-Nov-17 22:17:54

Nah, no-brainer smile

DeathMetalMum Mon 13-Nov-17 22:22:14

No I have recently done something similar. I did question myself at the time but I feel I've made the right choice. I've yet to start my 'Job 2' yet due to on Wednesday but so far all correspondence has been far more clear and defined than my 'Job 1', plus there are other benefits to it.

Slightly different my 'job 1' was a permanent offer after working there on a zero hours contract. I had verbally accepted an offer, but I hadn't actually received a contact at the time I declined.

Good luck in your new job!

Mouikey Mon 13-Nov-17 22:22:35

YOU have done absolutely the right thing. Why would you want to work at job 1 when they clearly don’t value you or your time. Job 2 sounds great go for it and don’t feel guilty.

SisyphusHadItEasy Tue 14-Nov-17 02:05:14

Job 2 will pay better in 2 months, and frankly... I really like it.

Thanks for the reassurance, I tend to be unsure of myself from time to time... This was one of those times.

BitOfFun Tue 14-Nov-17 02:11:58

You've made the right decision. Good luck in your new position!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now