Talk

Advanced search

Homemade Gifts. AIBU or is he?

(328 Posts)
WonderLime Mon 13-Nov-17 21:35:37

This evening, whilst stuck under a sleeping baby, I’ve spend the evening browsing Pinterest. I’ve seen some great home made gift ideas and I was feeling really inspired.

DP comes home and I tell him about my idea to make a homemade gift for my Secret Santa present this year, as I think I can do something really cool with a limited budget (I’d been thinking bath bombs and sugar scrubs as they look easy).

DP says that ‘^no one^ appreciates home made gifts unless they are really, really good - and anyway, it will end up costing you more’.

I’d told him just today how I’d been feeling quite low and fed up being on maternity leave, so it was nice to feel excited about something. However now I feel disheartened and don’t see the point anymore.

AIBU thinking about making home made gifts, or was his response unreasonable?

WombatStewForTea Mon 13-Nov-17 21:37:54

Sorry but I think he has a point! It's hard to make them look good and they can be expensive!
However as long as you are prepared to accept defeat and buy something if they go wrong then have a go

cardibach Mon 13-Nov-17 21:37:57

Bit miserable of him to shoot you down so fast, but he’s definitely right about the cost.

KC225 Mon 13-Nov-17 21:39:34

I think it depends on what it is. If it is some Facebook tat then. 'nah'. Give us an idea OP. We need a photograph or a diagram

Mayhemmumma Mon 13-Nov-17 21:40:55

I'm with him sorry. Food is always a winner but

SaucyJack Mon 13-Nov-17 21:43:18

I don't really disagree with him. Making them is 8/9ths of the pleasure.

Those scrubs are basically just oil and sugar at the end of the day. It's not a fantastic thing to receive.

cariadlet Mon 13-Nov-17 21:44:13

I think that it depends who the secret Santa is for.

Home made gifts are great for kids to give to relatives and teachers.

If an adult gives a home made gift then they need to be sure that they're really good at crafting and that it is going to somebody who would really appreciate it - Secret Santa work colleagues don't always fit the criteria.

And your DP is right that home made gifts are often more expensive than comparable shop-bought ones.

WonderLime Mon 13-Nov-17 21:44:41

Well for example, I liked the look of coffee syrups like these:

www.nourishandnestle.com/gingerbread-syrup/

I have most of the ingredients so I’d only need to buy glass bottles.

Theresamayscough Mon 13-Nov-17 21:45:42

Home made gifts have to be amazing to be honest op. Kirsty’s are crap to be fair and she tries hard.

You don’t need to be doing that to feel good. You
Pushed a human out of you and that’s better then any home made gift.

Your dh is right here sorry

WonderLime Mon 13-Nov-17 21:46:37

And then I started thinking along the home made cordial routes.

I had thought about vanilla extract but that will be too expensive.

Bath bombs I thought I could have some fun with colourings - and if successful make more with the excess acids and salts for relatives and myself

deepestdarkestperu Mon 13-Nov-17 21:47:12

I think your DH is right, sorry.

Homemade gifts cost a fortune and 95% of the time they're not very good!

KC225 Mon 13-Nov-17 21:47:40

Sorry, just seen it was bath bombs or scrubs. Yes, that would work for me in a nice kilner jar that I could re-use. It's the homemade ornaments or anything with googly eyes stuck on.

kaytee87 Mon 13-Nov-17 21:48:03

Listen op if it gives you a project that lifts your mood then go for it.
Sorry you’re feeling low flowers

WonderLime Mon 13-Nov-17 21:48:31

Oh God, no nothing crafty. I have no artistic skills grin

Insomnibrat Mon 13-Nov-17 21:49:41

Although I think he has a point, his method of delivery left a lot to be desired!

bimbobaggins Mon 13-Nov-17 21:49:59

Your dh could have put it to you a bit more gently but he’s right. Along with photos of kids( ok as an added extra but not someone’s main gift)

kaytee87 Mon 13-Nov-17 21:51:13

I know you meant well but

*You don’t need to be doing that to feel good. You
Pushed a human out of you and that’s better then any home made gift*

Pushing a human out and then the subsequent caring for said human can make a lot of women feel pretty low and comments like yours just make them feel guilty

CommunistLegoBloc Mon 13-Nov-17 21:52:55

The coffee syrup looks nice. I often give people raspberry gin that I've shoved a load of sugar and fruit into and forgotten about for three months made in a pretty bottle.

I also knit or crochet blankets, hats, scarves, toys and other small items but I'm quite good (blush) and only if people have expressed an interest.

I think things that look homemade will be binned, sorry. I think comestibles that can be presented nicely (like syrup or booze) could work, but I know some on here will disagree and say they'd never consume something that had been made in another person's kitchen etc.

The cost is high though - it'd be cheaper for me to buy presents a lot of the time.

bimbobaggins Mon 13-Nov-17 21:55:58

For my secret santa gift this year, budget £5 I’ve bought a £5 Greg’s gift card. That will go down a treat in my workplace

WonderLime Mon 13-Nov-17 21:56:17

Okay, I concede it’s probably not such a great idea. I think I’m just excited about the idea of doing something, as I feel my days are just nappies, washing and box sets.

Maybe I’ll make DP lots of lovingly crafted, homemade tat gifts for Xmas to keep myself busy.

Theresamayscough Mon 13-Nov-17 21:58:48

kay don’t be idiotic.

Op of course I wasn’t trying to make you feel bad love. By all means go for it as a hobby and see how it turns out. You may be more artistic then you think grin

Twitchingdog Mon 13-Nov-17 21:59:39

Why are not taking the baby out? Baby groups and stuff

CommunistLegoBloc Mon 13-Nov-17 22:00:09

Why don't you take something up, and see how it goes? I adore knitting, recently started sewing. It's all v Pinterest-y these days.

Find a creative outlet!

GherkinSnatch Mon 13-Nov-17 22:00:25

There's no harm in doing it for yourself for something to do, but your DH does have a point. If you have friends or family who you know would love a poncey (meant in the nice way) coffee syrup/bath bomb/gin, then go for it! If they're not that bothered for that sort of thing, then I wouldn't.

LittleBirdBlues Mon 13-Nov-17 22:00:26

Home made Marmelade is great! Maybe try that in a nice jar?

I'd love a home made gift!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: