Talk

Advanced search

To complain to the restaurant manager??

(25 Posts)
MrsLilymunster Mon 13-Nov-17 17:47:30

Me and my husband went out for the first time since our baby was born for our first wedding anniversary. I was anxious but I felt okay! Any hoo went to a lovely restaurant we've been to many times and never had a problem. I'll say now I'm an allergic peppers and chillis, not life threatening but I get violently sick eating them! So when ordering I asked about it and made sure they knew/there were none as I was allergic! Food comes, I eat a few mouthfuls and realise there's peppers in it. ... Needless to say I Vommed at the restaurant, twice on the way home and many times at home for the rest of the night! Anyway, I complained when I was there but obviously wanted to get out as soon as I could because I was being sick!
AIBU so want to go back and formally complain to the manager ??? I'm not sure if it's worth it and others have suggested I sue! I feel the need to do something I'm just not sure what!! Any advice?? Xxxxx

kali110 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:50:46

Yes i would! You said you were allergic, imagine if you'd been worse!!

StormTreader Mon 13-Nov-17 17:56:03

Definitely complain, at the very least they should be much more careful about food allergies especially because you checked beforehand - the next person might be fatally allergic!

ArchchancellorsHat Mon 13-Nov-17 17:58:26

Definitely go and complain. Or put it in writing, email maybe. I could be wrong but I think trading standards or similar might have something to say about it too. It would be one thing if you just don't like peppers, but it's an allergy and you spoke to them about it. The next person could be much more affected.

PurpleMinionMummy Mon 13-Nov-17 17:59:17

Definitely complain. It might just save the next persons life!

fairgame84 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:59:30

Definitely complain.
They ruined your night and made you ill. This was completely preventable.

londonmummy1966 Mon 13-Nov-17 18:04:09

I'm allergic to peppers too and have the same reaction you do. I once had peppers in a lunch when I was on a one day business trip abroad. I was so sick I couldn't get the flight home and had to book into a hotel. envy - not envy....

You should complain as it spoiled your evening. Also it is one of those allergies so many people don't take seriously so a bit more awareness of the problems a significant minority have with eating peppers is all to the good.

MrMagnoliasBoot Mon 13-Nov-17 18:04:39

Is it a chain or company run restaurant? If make you complain to there head office also EHO. It is a legal requirement for restaurants and their staff to have allergy training

maras2 Mon 13-Nov-17 18:07:32

What on earth did you eat that you didn't realise had any type of pepper in ?
Sorry that you had a bad experience on your anniversary flowers

MrsLilymunster Mon 13-Nov-17 18:11:17

@maras2 it was this noodle dish with lots of veg and sauce! X

CoraPirbright Mon 13-Nov-17 18:16:16

Totally complain. And I would call in Trading standards or some such. If they are this cavalier when you told them about your specific issues, just imagine what might happen if someone with an even worse allergy eats there. Something like a peanut allergy - someone could die.

MrsLilymunster Mon 13-Nov-17 18:16:59

@MrMagnoliasBoot I don't think it's chain! X

Auspiciouspanda Mon 13-Nov-17 18:19:47

Yes you should complain but for Christ sake stop with the !!! You don't need to add one after every sentence.

BalloonSlayer Mon 13-Nov-17 18:19:54

Contact trading standards.

My son has anaphlyaxis and when he has eaten something that turns out to have an allergen in it we used always used to tell the Anaphylaxis Campaign, who would take it up with them. The last time this happened they told me to report it to trading standards instead, which I did. They took it extremely seriously.

Hoppinggreen Mon 13-Nov-17 18:24:00

Yes, you should certainly complain
I have issues with peppers ( not chillis though) and they give me awful gas and stomach cramps.
I am hyper sensitive to the taste though so I'm surprised you didn't notice

Outlookmainlyfair Mon 13-Nov-17 18:27:52

Complain! They will remember you so you could email so you don’t have to do it face to face if you are uncomfortable.

MrMagnoliasBoot Mon 13-Nov-17 18:29:19

@MrsLilymunster Definitely contact EHO they are really hot on allergen training and like I said it is a legal requirement

ADishBestEatenCold Mon 13-Nov-17 18:30:59

Complain? Yes, I think you should. Sue? No, I don't think you should.

Ceto Mon 13-Nov-17 18:34:16

Certainly complain. In theory you could sue, but the damages would be fairly minimal and you may have difficulty proving you told them about your allergy if they choose to deny it.

And disable the exclamation mark key on your phone/keyboard.

Marriedwithchildren5 Mon 13-Nov-17 18:34:55

Please don't sue hmm Complain away but honestly, whoever told you to sue needs to calm down!!

JWrecks Mon 13-Nov-17 18:39:12

Complain. Restaurants take allergies VERY seriously, and they will want to hear about it. Perhaps ring or send an email if you can find the contact information. The best time to speak to staff will be between 2-4PM.

GrumpyOldBag Mon 13-Nov-17 18:55:09

Complain and leave an appropriate review on TripAdvisor.

Hassled Mon 13-Nov-17 19:07:35

Definitely complain. You vomited, which is bad enough, but what if you'd had an anaphylactic reaction? I know realistically if you were that allergic you'd have had an epipen, but restaurants need to take allergies so seriously and the cavalier attitude they sometimes have pisses me right off. One of my DCs is Coeliac - so many places just don't seem to get things like he can't have the chips if they use the same oil for the battered onion rings, and it drives me nuts.

WhimsicalTart Mon 13-Nov-17 20:02:15

Isn't against the law to not provide a list of allergens when asked?

JonSnowsWife Mon 13-Nov-17 20:13:23

Yes I would.

People think it's fine if it's not 'life threatening'. Doesn't matter, if it makes you ill then it's out.

I love Diet Coke. Can't drink it it makes me ill. I'm always fun in restaurants. Theres other things too but I've lost count at the times I've had something put in my food because I wouldn't notice.

People do it with medicines too. I remember telling a nurse I cant have a certain medication. As it's one usually given out to patients who can't take others, and most people aren't allergic to it, she didn't believe me and gave it me anyway. She soon believed me when she couldn't stop me from vomiting repeatedly hmm

Hope you're feeling better now OP. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now