Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about plane flight?

(45 Posts)
MrsMaxwell Mon 13-Nov-17 16:24:57

NC for this but am RP. Honeymoon to Caribbean booked, we fly next week.

My mum coming to stay with the kids it’s a 2 week holiday of a lifetime. Really looking forward to going and it’s a 9 hr flight.

I am quite an anxious flyer and also have back issues from major surgery many yrs ago so we booked extra leg room.

Really busy as wedding is this weekend and tried a few times over the last few weeks to log in but have been unable to.

Got time today to call the company (we leave in 7 days) and we have been allocated seats apart and I am really gutted - they said I was unable to check in online due to them changing fro one company to another and everyone else has phoned up and checked in meaning these are the only seats available and if we want to sit together we would have to down grade to no extra leg room with no refund hmm.

While this isn’t a third world issue and I do not expect “extras” because it’s our honeymoon I did at least want to be able to sit together.

Is there anything I can do? sad

MrsMaxwell Mon 13-Nov-17 16:26:05

Sorry tried to check in online ....

OlennasWimple Mon 13-Nov-17 16:27:30

When you get to the airport go to check in and explain your situation. If there's anything they can do, they will try to help (and that can include moving people who have already checked in and been allocated seats)

moonamanda Mon 13-Nov-17 16:28:49

Who are you flying with MrsM?

OlennasWimple Mon 13-Nov-17 16:29:16

Oh, and no one has checked in 7 days in advance - 36 hours is the most I've ever seen available

They may have selected seats, but that's not the same as check in.

And it's complete baloney that you can't do stuff yourself because you have moved companies. Presumably you have your six digit flight locator? In which case you can go onto the airline web site and sort this all out yourself direct

MrsMaxwell Mon 13-Nov-17 16:29:19

It’s Tui ....

MrsMaxwell Mon 13-Nov-17 16:30:44

I went into the Tui website and the seating plan wouldn’t let me move us as only one solitary free seat - so I phoned and she said there was nothing she can do hmm

moonamanda Mon 13-Nov-17 16:34:15

That is rubbish. No doubt they're allowed to do it as per their T&C's but I agree that the bag drop desk will be the best place to deal with it.

Maybe check now that you can request seats together on the return journey?

Angrybird345 Mon 13-Nov-17 16:34:58

Most online check ins open 24 hours before the flight departs.... they may be seats which haven't been allocated. Be prepared to go online at exactly 24 hours before the flight and be on the phone also. and if that fails, get to the airport early to make you case.

Shiela2017 Mon 13-Nov-17 16:35:51

We had this last minute on a 12 hour flight to Tokyo. I was sad but not really that bothered to not be sat next to my husband. Anyway once we got on the plane we explained the situation to the head cabin manager and he swapped us around with another person so we could sit next to each other. I wasn't asking for extra leg room though so perhaps this is the issue with you. It's not the end of the world if you are sat apart and you will be up walking around anyway on such a long flight x

OlennasWimple Mon 13-Nov-17 16:35:57

OK, I take it back - Tui let you check in 30 days before the flight shock

In your shoes I would check in now, but at the airport request to be seated together

Unless you feel like taking to Twitter to ask them to seat you together very publicly

acornsandnuts Mon 13-Nov-17 16:36:59

I would contact them via twitter. Public complaints seem to get a better response for some reason.

Montythespookymouse Mon 13-Nov-17 16:37:48

Olennas we flew TUI recently and I'm sure that we could check in online and print boarding passes up to 14 days before.

Have you paid for reserve seating op? I would FB their social media team and explain what's happened and that it's your honeymoon and hope they took pity on you.

Montythespookymouse Mon 13-Nov-17 16:38:19

X post

LaughingLlama Mon 13-Nov-17 16:39:04

Are your extra leg room seats in tge emergency exit row or in an additional extra legroom section?
If you have back problems you are not allowed to sit in the emergency exit row. You need to declare and sometimes sign a declaration ( at check in ) to confirm you are fully fit and able bodied, willing and able to assist the crew in the event of an emergency.
If you are sat in the EE row and not fully fit and able bodied you may as well choose your 2 standard seats together now whilst seats together are still available. Leaving it until check in st the airport is risky - there may nit be any stabdard seats together availabke by the time you get to the check in desk - depending how full your flight is.
If sat in Extra Leg in the dedicated extra leg room area (Not Emergency Exit) then you have to decide whats more important. To be extra space or being together?

Hope this helps.

SilverSpot Mon 13-Nov-17 16:39:22

Unless you feel like taking to Twitter to ask them to seat you together very publicly

Oh FFS I hate this attitude. Why should someone else get moved from the seats they have chosen for the OP?

ineedwine99 Mon 13-Nov-17 16:39:35

Hi OP, we had this with BA, granted in economy, but we spoke to them at the check in desk who flagged it with the boarding desk, they managed to shuffle some single travellers around so we (and other couples) ended up together.

MrsMaxwell Mon 13-Nov-17 16:39:53

I think you can check in 90 days before with Tui shock but we didn’t even book it 90 days ago as didn’t have the money!! grin

I have tweeted .......

BritInUS1 Mon 13-Nov-17 16:40:41

I think YABU - if you didn't actually pay to reserve seats when you booked and everyone else has managed to check in before you for the extra leg room seats, then it's hardly their fault.

They have offered you a solution.

OlennasWimple Mon 13-Nov-17 16:41:28

Silver It's not something I would do, but it's an option for the OP to consider <shrug>

I don't mind much if I'm sat with DH when we travel or not, and I'd happily move seats to let two honeymooners sit together (and I expect most people would too)

MrsMaxwell Mon 13-Nov-17 16:42:06

Yeah we are thinking about forgoing the leg room - I am able bodied (ie have sat in the emergency seat before) I just get a lot of pain esp when in one position for a long time.

MrsMaxwell Mon 13-Nov-17 16:43:41

There wasn’t the option to pay to reserve seats without buying premium seating.

I figured checking in over a week before would give us seats together.

I would forgo the extra leg room (which we have paid extra for) but think they should refund us.

ArcheryAnnie Mon 13-Nov-17 16:51:17

I wouldn't move for honeymooners, but I would move for a nervous passenger of any marital status who wishes to sit next to their companion for hand-holding purposes - so if you want to go on twitter and plead your case, OP, I would feel no hesitation at all in you doing so!

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 13-Nov-17 16:55:54

How are the seats configured? We recently had the luxury of flying business class and going out seats were 2 and 2 and we were together. Coming back I forgot to check in at the 24 hours point so when I went on about 12 hours before I could only get a window in one row and an aisle in another but because they were 2 and 2 the man who had the aisle next to my DH's window seat was happy to change with my aisle seat 2 rows ahead.

If the seats you can get mean that a swap would be for a similar eg window for window, aisle for aisle people will generally swap.

BeALert Mon 13-Nov-17 16:59:13

I don't mind much if I'm sat with DH when we travel or not, and I'd happily move seats to let two honeymooners sit together (and I expect most people would too)

Yes, me too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now