Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not know how to handle this?

(7 Posts)
vvviola Mon 13-Nov-17 10:09:28

I had a horrible boss. He found many many ways to put me down, destroy my confidence and generally make my life a misery.

I went from being a very confident person, who felt I was competent at my job, to practically needing to be reminded of my own name.

I'm not the only person who has had this experience with him.

I escaped thanks to an internal transfer, and my current boss literally spent the first 3 months putting m back together. She thinks I'm wonderful, she mentors me, encourages me and points me in the right direction when I screw up, instead of yelling or telling me I'm rubbish. They have also had to go to HR about the treatment I continued to receive from my former boss even when I was no longer reporting to him.

In the past few months, former boss is back causing trouble. His work now overlaps with my team. He has been his usual horrible self to my team and my boss (he ignores me since my boss spoke to HR).

We discovered today that he has been promoted to a very senior position. In one way this is great. It takes him out of our orbit altogether. We will probably have to engage with him once or twice a year, and then only in a group of other senior people. The person replacing him actually can't be any worse. So on a personal, practical level, our lives have got so much easier.

But it says such dreadful things about our organisation that someone who has systematically bullied a number of staff and is rude and dismissive to peers and staff is promoted to such a senior position.

vvviola Mon 13-Nov-17 10:10:30

Eek. App seems to hate paragraphs! (And likes to post multiple times!)

vvviola Mon 13-Nov-17 10:10:30

Eek. App seems to hate paragraphs! (And likes to post multiple times!)

doodle01 Mon 13-Nov-17 10:12:00

Classic case or promoting the problem to get rid of it - him?!

52isjustanumber Mon 13-Nov-17 10:13:52

Happens a lot in the NHS!

sonjadog Mon 13-Nov-17 10:16:07

Depends on the role he has been given, really. I have seen it in my organization. The person gets a "promotion" which moves them out of the way of doing as much damage.

vvviola Mon 13-Nov-17 10:19:50

It's a very very senior role, with a lot of staff reporting to him. Almost equivalent to C-suite. (And because of the structure of the organisation, potentially puts him on a path to CEO)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now