Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

....to ask you about claiming PPI?

(17 Posts)
Chocwocdoodah Mon 13-Nov-17 09:47:07

Ok, blatantly posting here for traffic....

Keep hearing stories of people getting PPI windfalls and fancy some of that action!!

Is it possible to check if you’ve ever had PPI even if you can’t remember details of loans/credit cards you’ve had - and without going through a third party who will charge you/take a percentage? I remember a specific card I had (no idea if I had PPI) but other than that I’m sure I’ve had loans etc in the past I’ve forgotten about. Any advice? Thanks!

gamerchick Mon 13-Nov-17 09:49:19

There are template letters on money saving expert and lots of advice. Don’t use a company, all they’re doing is sending the letter off for you and then hound you for a chunk of money.

Chocwocdoodah Mon 13-Nov-17 09:54:45

Thank you. That’ll work for the credit card I remember (think it was Capital One) but can I find out if I’ve had PPI for a loan/cards I might have forgotten ever having?? You know how those companies advertise saying “we’ll check if you ever had PPI” - how do they do that?

jay55 Mon 13-Nov-17 09:59:17

They do a subject access request with various companies to get details of any accounts you had with them.

jay55 Mon 13-Nov-17 09:59:55

On your behalf, they can’t just get anyone’s details.

Chocwocdoodah Mon 13-Nov-17 10:24:19

Ahhh I see.... so I’d have to use a third party for that then.

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 13-Nov-17 10:31:02

No, you can do your own SAR. Just look through the information on the MSE website, its all there to walk you through the process.

Stormybubbles Mon 13-Nov-17 10:36:26

For capital one you can do it online through their website, you don't need the card number just your details and the address where you had the card and they email back in a few days to let you know if you had PPI or not. Very very easy!

Stormybubbles Mon 13-Nov-17 10:37:35

www.capitalone.co.uk/support/find-out-if-you-had-ppi.jsf

JustMarriedAndLovingIt Mon 13-Nov-17 10:39:11

Do what I did. Get the company to find the place that owes money, in our case Burtons. Then use a template letter from MSE to contact them yourself. I got £250 and didn't have to share 😁😁

JustMarriedAndLovingIt Mon 13-Nov-17 10:40:19

When I say company I mean one of these ones that cold call you.

Beamur Mon 13-Nov-17 10:41:06

I got some money back from Barclays as I'd paid for a bank account with features that were of no use to me and I'd felt pressurised to sign up for it.
Did it directly with them, not difficult and I got a decent amount of money back.

ILoveMillhousesDad Mon 13-Nov-17 10:45:07

I did it through a third party cos I cba doing it myself. I had barely any idea of when/if I had credit cards and loans.

Yes, I did have to give them 25%, but it was 25% of something I wouldn't have had otherwise.

Turns out that cos of the years that had passed, I was actually owed more from the interest.

All in all, I got approx £2k, which wasn't bad for doing sweet f.a.

Chocwocdoodah Mon 13-Nov-17 10:49:33

Amazing - thanks all! Will let you know if I get billions!

amnesty124 Mon 13-Nov-17 10:50:18

I did it myself in the summer and got back about 3000 pounds from loans that I took out in the 90s. My mum who had guaranteed one of the loans also got about 200 pounds.

It took some time and a few conversations on the phone, but all the banks I approached had PPI departments. For some of the loans I didn't have any info at all (i have thrown all the documentation away) and only rough dates even years - these are the ones that I got awarded compensation and PPI funds back. The process took about 2 months.

Hope this helps

amnesty124 Mon 13-Nov-17 10:51:12

ps I didnt need a subject access...

Nothingrhymeswithfamily Mon 13-Nov-17 10:54:07

This is the website you want www.resolver.co.uk
Its amazing! My DH got £2000 in about 10 minutes of time. Its not a third party so they don't take money and is to do with money saving expert.

Ive done mine, but i didn't have any. But still worth checking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now