Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have come down with a sickness bug totally out the blue FFS

(19 Posts)
ComingUpTrumps Mon 13-Nov-17 07:32:47

Argh. Any advice please? Never had one before in my life, and fucking hell - feel like utter shit.

Request 1. Am I allowed to feel as sorry for myself as possible in this thread?

Request 2. Can I make this a sweary sickness bug thread?

AgentProvocateur Mon 13-Nov-17 07:43:23

God, I had that a couple of weeks ago for the first time ever. It was the first time I’ve ever called in sick to work for more than 15 years. It floored me for two days, even though the d&v only lasted for 12 hours or so. It’s miserable. You’re entitled to feel sorry for yourself. Get better soon. flowers

ComingUpTrumps Mon 13-Nov-17 07:46:05

Thanks Agent flowerssmile

gunsandbanjos Mon 13-Nov-17 07:47:03

You can totally feel sorry for yourself, I had one last week.

nutbrownhare15 Mon 13-Nov-17 07:48:56

Use some rehydration salts. I had it a couple of weeks ago. Was ok after 36 hours, it was miserable though, I think it was the dehydration.

ComingUpTrumps Mon 13-Nov-17 07:49:43

Thanks guns flowers it's shit, isn't it?

juddyrockingcloggs Mon 13-Nov-17 07:52:48

We went on holiday abroad the other week. On the 4th day my son came down with a a D&V bug, on the 5th day my husband got it and on the 6th day I got it.

By mid afternoon after the day from absolute hell I was so fed up I rang my mum in tears wanting to come home. I’m 34!

By all means feel sorry for yourself, I always do and get better soon!! flowers

Phillipa12 Mon 13-Nov-17 07:53:02

The only silver lining to a d and v bug of which i have had many is that they are very slimming, you have my sympathies op, not nice!

Sienna333 Mon 13-Nov-17 09:10:05

Had this a few weeks back but pretty sure mine was food poisoning. Started off with a migraine and severe tiredness then stomach cramps and nausea followed by 20 days of diarrhea, first few days of diarrhea were bloody.
I so hope yours goes away very soon, it is horrible.

Also, make sure you keep well hydrated as it makes everything so much worse when you are not.

Ohyesiam Mon 13-Nov-17 09:37:37

Am envious if all you who have not has then before.
Op, swearing REALLY helps. In fact I prescribe it.

BatShite Mon 13-Nov-17 10:26:48

You are so lucky to have never had one before. I know you won't feel lucky and that you probably am thinking 'stfu' to my post right now grin

Swearing does help for some reason. And knowing that the sickness doesn't tend to last very long helps me massively. Usually I get the sickness for about a day, though the diarrhea lasts a few days. I can deal with the shits though, I am emetophobic so the sicky part has me alternating between sickness and panicking

Probably the worst part of it for me is knowing that near every bug in this house goes round every single one of us. I tend to quarantine myself at the first signs of a bug now, which has helped contain 2 so far.

ComingUpTrumps Mon 13-Nov-17 14:27:49

Thanks everyone flowers

BellyBean Mon 13-Nov-17 14:44:16

Sympathies flowers my DD age 3 months got one a couple of weeks ago, I was in a&e with her for 8 hours before they finally decided she wasn't too dehydrated.

I then got it the next day and DH 2 days later.

Sip boiled water, when you feel you can handle food - don't - flat lukozade or sugar lemonade.

Then BRAT diet - bananas, rice, apple, toast (or crackers) - gentle on the tum.

ComingUpTrumps Mon 13-Nov-17 19:17:08

Thanks Belly smile good ideas about what to eat over the next few days.

So sorry to hear as well about all of your experiences with the bug, everyone flowers

Booboobooboo84 Mon 13-Nov-17 20:26:57

I have the worst fucking stomach ache right now but no d&v. I’ve never prayed for the shits before but if it ends the stomach ache then bring it on!

FlaviaAlbia Mon 13-Nov-17 20:32:00

We all had something similar over Halloween, it was utterly grim. It knocked us out for a few days each once the vomiting was over. We were so careful wiping down surfaces and bleaching but it still spread.

Don't drink anything cold when you're just beginning to think you're better, your stomach will revolt. Room temperature flat coke is good.

Twopeapods Mon 13-Nov-17 21:58:12

You have my sympathies. I'm an emetophobe and if I hear there is a D&V bug going round I PANIC all day every day. There is one going round DDs school right now.
I have managed to avoid the last few. Although DD and husband always get them. I am VERY careful about hygiene when there is the bug in the house. I hotwash all bedding everyday, bleach everything in sight, use disposable puppy pads under sick bowls next to bed and on top of mattress so no need to wash towels. I also hot wash all clothing and PJs after every use.
I honestly do think that some people are more susceptible than others.
You are doing well if you have never had one.

Lofari Mon 13-Nov-17 22:01:26

Just got over one here it took out all 5 of us so you have my full sympathy
You're allowed to feel miserable and swearing definitely helps
Fucking bugs!!

Noofly Mon 13-Nov-17 22:22:12

Oh yuck, I had that last Thursday! As soon as the nausea fades, I swear by flat ginger ale. It’s the only thing I can stomach in little sips. Then I gradually add a banana and the a bit of toast. Lots of ginger ale helps, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now