Advanced search

I've messed everything up. Homeless with 4 children.

(206 Posts)
BowAndArrow Mon 13-Nov-17 06:48:00

I've been stupid. So so stupid. Please don't feel the need to tell me that. I could not loathe my stupidity more right now.

We've accidentally intentionally made ourselves homeless. We have to move out 4 days after Christmas. At the moment we have no where to go. No where. I have absolutely no idea what to do. The council obviously won't touch us because we put in our notice intentionally. Family isn't an option and no friends. No money to get another property. Am actually terrified. Totally terrified.

AIBU to think there must be a way to sort this out somehow? Please be kind.

Afreshstartplease Mon 13-Nov-17 06:49:29

What was your plan in the first place?

Jenala Mon 13-Nov-17 06:50:36

That's not much detail. Why did you hand your notice in with no money and no place to go?

All I can think is to make an appointment to talk things over with your local Shelter.

Whataboutmeee Mon 13-Nov-17 06:50:54

Can you withdraw your notice?

Gammeldragz Mon 13-Nov-17 06:52:36

Cancel your notice. I'm sure the landlord would rather not have the hassle of finding new tenants.

How do you "accidentally intentionally" do something?

whatkatydidnext1 Mon 13-Nov-17 06:52:45

Hi op. As @Afreshstartplease said. What's gone wrong with your original plan ? Did you hand notice in on this house because you were moving to another ? Has the new house fallen through ?

Grimbles Mon 13-Nov-17 06:52:47

What does the council decision letter say and have you asked for a review?

bigmouthstrikesagain Mon 13-Nov-17 06:53:00

I can't chat now. But in a nutshell my advice is to go to your local citizens advice bureau, get an appointment and talk the situation through with them. There is not enough detail in your op to assess your situation but CAB should be able to help.

BertieBotts Mon 13-Nov-17 06:53:07

How have you been deemed to be intentionally homeless? I know the definitions are really shit so I'm not blaming but asking, there may be some way around.

What is it which is forcing you to leave your current property?

Do you have a partner?

Have you called Shelter?

How old are the children and what sex are those over 11?


Submariner Mon 13-Nov-17 06:53:54

Is there any way you can cancel your notice? It's more than a month away so they may not have anyone else yet.

Can you go and get some advice from the council, even though they won't give you a place?

Don't panic. You have a little bit of breathing space. Hopefully at least some of the kids will be in school today? Have a coffee, breathe. When they're out the way for a bit call your local CAB or check out the Shelter website.

BaxterStockboy Mon 13-Nov-17 06:54:36

Speak with the council straight away and see if there is a way to withdraw your notice. Contact shelter and citizens advice.

whatkatydidnext1 Mon 13-Nov-17 06:56:47

Agree with others. Even if council can't house you they will advise you. And maybe liaise with your landlord ? I think we need a bit more information. No judging here

BertieBotts Mon 13-Nov-17 06:58:39

How do you "accidentally intentionally" do something?

Because the council's definition of "intentionally homeless" covers several scenarios including:

Moving out politely when you've been evicted, rather than waiting for bailiffs to come and traumatise your children.

Not having enough money to pay your rent.

You've suffered DV or have other relationship issues with people you live with, but the council don't believe you.

BowAndArrow Mon 13-Nov-17 06:59:08

Handed notice in after offer of another house. The owner is a friend of my mum's partner. It looks to be falling through. Offer was only done verbally and my mum's partner vouched for the validity of it. Pressure was put on us to put in our notice so he wasn't waiting and the property would be ready by Xmas. So far we've heard nothing from him. Viewed it again and there's still lots of basic work needing doing. Looks very likely original plan will not be possible. So yes, ridiculously stupid, I know. But we trusted the people involved.

Kids are 6 months, 5, 7 ( with severe additional needs) and 9.

listsandbudgets Mon 13-Nov-17 06:59:28

Why did you give notice and can you tslk to the lanflord and ask to stay on?

BowAndArrow Mon 13-Nov-17 07:00:17

It's not a council property. Privately rented.

Justanothernameonthepage Mon 13-Nov-17 07:00:49

Can you make a list of all money & possible avenues of revenue?. Will you get a refund of your deposit? We're you renting from an agency and of so, can you talk to them? Can you afford to rent somewhere tiny and have children share a bedroom while you sleep in the living room? Do you have anything to sell to scrape a deposit?

LakieLady Mon 13-Nov-17 07:00:54

It may not be the same everywhere, but in my area social services will stump up money for rent in advance and deposit where the alternative is homeless children or children in care. In the case of families with bad credit, they will sometimes guarantee rent for the first 6 months, too.

If you have in your notice because you had an offer of accommodation elsewhere, and can evidence that, the council may not consider you intentionally homeless.

If you have an advice or welfare rights organisation, or if your local CAB has a housing adviser who does casework, make an appointment to see them.

Good luck.

Ohffsmalcom Mon 13-Nov-17 07:01:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BowAndArrow Mon 13-Nov-17 07:01:56

Never actually spoken to the landlord. It's through a letting agent who has never been keen on us as he knows our old landlord ( would explain more but very outing, can hand on heart say we weren't nightmare tenants)

BowAndArrow Mon 13-Nov-17 07:03:36

I have no evidence. Nothing to prove anything. Verbally agreed and vouched by my mum's partner ( who we currently owe thousands to).

Stupid cow that I'am.

errorofjudgement Mon 13-Nov-17 07:04:02

Talk to your LL. If they haven’t started viewings yet then they might agree to an extension.

Reppin Mon 13-Nov-17 07:04:11

How did you have the money to move into the new house but you can't afford to move into another place? You have 2 months to sort something out.

Justanothernameonthepage Mon 13-Nov-17 07:04:21

Talk to your landlord asap. Apologise, explain, find out if they have anyone else lined up or if they can reconsider extending by 6 months.
Also talk to new potential LL, find out if there is anything you can do to speed it up. Can they get the kitchen, bathroom and one bedroom done in time and the rest can continue afterwards?

Viviene Mon 13-Nov-17 07:04:46

Can you try to withdraw the notice anyway and see what they say?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: