Talk

Advanced search

Sherlock fan-base AIBU

(25 Posts)
ComingUpTrumps Mon 13-Nov-17 00:20:23

Random AIBU, but I've been wondering about this for a while.

Why do some random TV shows get super-keen fan bases (off the top of my head, I'm thinking of ones like Sherlock, Doctor Who etc.), but others just don't? I've never really understood why. Why specifically these?

ComingUpTrumps Mon 13-Nov-17 00:22:18

I know these TV shoes are popular so I do get why they have wide fan bases, but I think what I'm asking is why does their fan base seem particularly keen and intense?

It wouldn't happen with something like Eastenders or Downton Abbey for instance.

DJBaggySmalls Mon 13-Nov-17 00:32:53

I dont know, but they had this as a plot in one episode of Jonathon Creek. I wonder if its dramas that have a strong leading character, rather than a large cast like Downtion Abbey?

ComingUpTrumps Mon 13-Nov-17 00:35:32

Ahh maybe DJ - good point smile

Pretenditsaplan Mon 13-Nov-17 02:35:42

Im a fan of all youve mentioned. Downton abby fans are just as j
Keen as dr who or sherlock fans but downton was on regularly. Dr who has become less and less frequently with new drs or companions we have to hope do well. Sherlovk is intense and comes out every 2-3 years so were always left wanting to know more.

helpmeseethefunnysideplease Mon 13-Nov-17 03:02:52

Because Sherlock was wonderful. uplifting, funny, interesting, clever, unexpected, well-written, well acted, and the Cumberbatch/Freeman combo was great.

Erm - dunno about the other stuff grin.

Sadly I think we have seen the last of Sherlock because I can't see how they can top the climax that was Eurus.

ComingUpTrumps Mon 13-Nov-17 07:30:41

Ah yes good point about the gaps between the series pretend!

noblegiraffe Mon 13-Nov-17 07:35:29

Some series attract geeks, and geeks tend to get a bit fanatical? Star Trek, Dr Who, Sherlock are all a bit geeky.

IreneWinters Mon 13-Nov-17 07:38:19

I think shows like Sherlock and Dr Who appeal to a younger age group (as well as older viewers) who are more likely to live their life on Tumblr etc where the slight hysteria snowballs (and is almost as entertaining as the shows themselves). Downton probably has slightly older viewers, who don't have the time to fangirl on Tumblr.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Mon 13-Nov-17 07:41:17

it wouldn't happen with something like Eastenders or Downton Abbey

I'm sorry but you've never picked two programmes that have even more fanatical fans than most programmes. It happens with programmes like this and coronation street.

Doctor who is 54 years old it has become part of British culture. It plays on basic human interactions, it's family viewing it's been passed down from generation to generation

IreneWinters Mon 13-Nov-17 07:41:37

Also, maybe teenagers are generally more obsessive? I remember literally dreaming entire new episodes of the X-Files when I had no TV for a fortnight one summer.

WhirlwindHugs Mon 13-Nov-17 07:41:48

Yeah, I think the shows that have most cross over between geeky adult fans and teenage fans can be the most intense. Both groups tend to have disposable income and time they're happy to dedicate to producing new fan content so the fandoms look giant very quickly.

Whereas something like Downton might have more people that regular watch but are less likely to put time/money into visibly being a fan.

QueenOfTheAndals Mon 13-Nov-17 07:42:26

Downton abby fans are just as Keen as dr who or sherlock fans

I don't think any star of Downton has attracted the bizarre fanbase that Benedict Cumberbatch has - the "Cumberbitches" who speculate that his marriage is a sham etc.

See also Tom Hiddleston and Chrises Hemsworth and Evans. The stars of the Marvel franchise have a very intense fanbase. Interestingly those of the Justice League or current Star Trek one don't. I wonder why?

ComingUpTrumps Mon 13-Nov-17 07:42:51

I'm not sure I've understood your point Naught - what do you mean?

ghostyslovesheets Mon 13-Nov-17 07:43:19

It's Doctor Who ... <wears geek hat with pride> 😃

ComingUpTrumps Mon 13-Nov-17 07:44:54

the "Cumberbitches" who speculate that his marriage is a sham etc.

Bloody hell Queen shock

makeourfuture Mon 13-Nov-17 07:50:20

Because Sherlock was wonderful. uplifting, funny, interesting, clever, unexpected, well-written, well acted, and the Cumberbatch/Freeman combo was great.

Well for two seasons.

I think Moffat needs to learn to step back.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Mon 13-Nov-17 07:53:10

That you said there's this fanatical support wouldn't happen with eastejders ad downtown abbey.

You have picked to shows that it does happen with. You said it wouldn't. It does.

TheCatsPaws Mon 13-Nov-17 07:55:01

Some series attract geeks, and geeks tend to get a bit fanatical? Star Trek, Dr Who, Sherlock are all a bit geeky.

This. The anime community is a perfect example, as in tumblr or archiveofourown.

ComingUpTrumps Mon 13-Nov-17 07:55:26

Oh ok sorry Naught I didn't realise.

I agree with you makeour - I really liked the first two seasons of Sherlock, but the rest has been a bit shit!! Not very memorable and really OTT (IMO wink).

TheCatsPaws Mon 13-Nov-17 07:56:14

Lmao I doubt eastenders fans have fan fiction, cosplays, conventions and the same type of following like Sherlock, Star Trek, etc.

chicaguapa Mon 13-Nov-17 08:01:51

I can't explain why, but with a DD who is a Superwholockian, YABU to call it a fanbase. It's very clearly a fandom. wink

Smeaton Mon 13-Nov-17 08:06:59

Shows that catch on how you describe always tend, from my point of view anyway, to have elements of realism escaping and fantasy.

Sherlock: who wouldn't want to be a super detective with almost supernatural powers and an awesome coat?
Dr Who: time travelling mysterious Dr with awesome gadgets, hot sidekicks and a tardis.
StarTrek: Nuff Sed

Even My little Pony Friendship is magic.

All these shows give a glimpse into a different life that people believe is better than their lives which may be missing what the show offers. That makes them fans. They then meet other fans and talk about their fandom which breeds deeper fandom which makes the show develop a following of super fans and before you know it there's lots of Superfan's that all want to meet and thus the conventions are born which in turn attracts more people looking to escape their dull lives so they become fans that talk to other fans that then become super fans... and so it goes for ever more.. (and breath...)

Shows like Downton, which offers escapism without the fantasy aspect don't catch on in the same way because the lack of fantasy element. Not many people day dream about being English gentry sipping tea and rogering the staff.. not like they do about being an awesome Space captain leading the enterprise into uncharted space, boldly going where no man has gone before...

That's my two pence anyway.

whiskyowl Mon 13-Nov-17 08:23:52

I don't think you are correct that Downton or Eastenders have less of a fanbase than Sherlock. However, I think there is something in the idea that the quality of the fandom is slightly different. Downton and Eastenders are solidly mainstream shows - and because of that, liking them is not seen as the same kind of distinguishing mark of identity as liking, say, Star Trek or Sherlock. Of course, it's nonsense really because these "alternative" shows aren't really a minority taste at all - they also have audiences of millions - but those very large audiences feel themselves to be part of a "tribe" that isn't mainstream. Mostly it's harmless fun, but you do get the odd wanker who thinks that because they like Dr Who not Downton, their taste is just that little bit better than the average person's and they are therefore superior.

ofshoes Mon 13-Nov-17 08:58:18

Is it not just that Sherlock/Who etc generally have a younger fanbase than the likes of Downton? Teenagers and people in their twenties spend a lot more of their life online than us. I'm sure there are a huge number of people that love that show but they're much less likely to be building a fansite and reblogging Downton gifs all over Tumblr and Twitter.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: