Talk

Advanced search

Surely a coincidence

(13 Posts)
SmartyPants0 Sun 12-Nov-17 19:14:12

I have had a chest infection...
My MIL friend has has a heavy cold and my niece has had flu. AIBU to think that this is all coincidence given that we all live 50 miles apart and haven't been in contact for months! MIL reckons that there is something going around...
Please help settle this heated debate
Who's right?

Booboobooboo84 Sun 12-Nov-17 19:16:02

It’s winter there is always something going around. It’s not a pandemic it’s just flu season

FlibbertigibbetArmadillo Sun 12-Nov-17 19:32:02

I have a stinking cold.
It is winter so bound to happen.
Although about 3 weeks ago I mentioned I hadn't really had a bad cold yet this year so it's probably less to do with winter and more a punishment coz I jinxed myself wink

LittleMissNaice Sun 12-Nov-17 19:34:44

Well by the sounds of it there’s at least three things going round ...

PollytheDolly Sun 12-Nov-17 19:35:35

I’ve had sniffles now came out today as full blown laryngitis sad

eurochick Sun 12-Nov-17 19:35:59

Eh what? It’s winter. There will be lots of different bugs doing the rounds, and they will mutate as the season progresses.

gentlydoesit89 Sun 12-Nov-17 21:13:05

I’m just getting over a week long thing that felt like flu but wasn’t bad enough to be flu... there’s all sorts about this time of year, just the luck of the draw which one you end up with in my experience!

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Sun 12-Nov-17 21:36:51

There is a cold in my house. The asthmatic has a chest infection (standard) the husband has "flu" I've got a sniffle and another has a genetic cold. Its winter. Lots of viruses going round and they all affect us differently.

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Sun 12-Nov-17 21:37:39

Generic not genetic!

Splinterz Sun 12-Nov-17 21:38:03

One chest infection, one cold and one 'flu' (which wont be influenza at all , are not the same thing.

DontTouchTheMoustache Sun 12-Nov-17 21:40:31

Its one of those irritating things people say without thinking about it. As soon as more than one person is ill there is some office busy body wandering around telling everyone that there is "something going around"

DancingHouse Sun 12-Nov-17 21:42:02

The common cold is a coincidence? No, it's just common.

SpottyGecko Sun 12-Nov-17 21:43:24

Coincidence.

How many of MILs friends are not ill? How many family members are not ill?

Of course in the winter people are going to know people who are ill. Your MIL seems to be looking for a link when there is none.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now