Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour's Dog ?!

(32 Posts)
LuluGuinness Sun 12-Nov-17 18:45:26

I really don't know what to do about this situation. I have nc as don't want to out myself.

We've lived here for 10 years and have a dog ourselves. 2 weeks ago new neighbours moved in, a family with a dog of their own. We have a 7/8ft hedge and wire/trellis 6.5ft all the way along to separate the gardens. During our 10 years here, our dog has been perfectly fine. In the last 2 weeks, we have had their dog get into our garden 5 times.

Twice in the dark - it's a big dog - and it scared the absolute shit out of us. Once when we were out, we got back to part of our property damaged where their dog had got into our garden and then smashed through our back gate to get away. The neighbours offered to pay for a new gate, but we said not to, just build a fence on their side to stop her.

A few night ago, I was letting my dog out for a wee before bed around midnight and their dog ran at mine in our garden and I screamed not knowing WTF was going on as it was black dark. The owner heard my screams and came round and the dog went back through the hole she's made in the hedge. We blocked that up and they said they'd try to do something their side too. All sorted I hoped.

Tonight the dog has terrified a very elderly relative as it was sitting right outside the back door. I bought a slip lead just in case after the first time, so grabbed it. Tried to put it on her and she growled and it frightened me. So I just went and got the neighbour who thought her dog was in the house. She definitely didn't get in the blocked up hole either.

I'm at the end of my tether, and don't know what to do. I made it clear that this can't go on and neighbour is full of apologies but it needs to stop. For 10 years my dog has never found these 'holes' that never existed before this dog.

I'm a huge dog lover but this really isn't on. I can't be scared to open the back door and have a dog that's growled at me/I can't control there. I don't even really know what I'm asking, I'm just alone this evening and still a bit shaky from the shock of her appearing again!

Greyhorses Sun 12-Nov-17 18:50:32

I would phone the dog warden and have it collected every single time it appears until they do manage to contain it.

I would also tell them my dog had an infectious disease that theirs will catch if it is in the same area as yours so you suggest they do something quickly!

LuluGuinness Sun 12-Nov-17 18:53:16

The time she broke out of our property the rspca got her and they had to pay to get her back. I thought it was a horrible one off where the dog was frightened as just moved and in unfamiliar surroundings and was prepared to forgive it.

It's not the dog's fault, even down to the growling - I don't know how she has been treated before (though they seem to love her!) that made her growl when the slip lead came out. I don't want to cause the dog more distress than necessary

Aquamarine1029 Sun 12-Nov-17 19:23:00

The time for being polite is OVER. These neighbours must address this issue now and they need to do whatever it takes to make sure this never happens again. I would call the dog catcher each and every time should it happen again. Their dog seems anxious and aggressive. Don't wait until something awful happens before you get tough with them.

LuluGuinness Sun 12-Nov-17 19:29:14

The only time she's ever growled at me is the slip lead, which may be due to past experience with the rspca catching her. It would be extremely traumatic for her to be taken away from her home every time and also escalate the situation with the neighbours and I really don't want to make things even worse for us.

Their dog is in season at the moment which makes it worse as she's trying to get to my dog. There are 2 other gardens she 'could' get into adjoining their garden but she's only coming to us.

I'm sorry, I am grateful for the replies, I just can't do anything to traumatise the dog as it's not her fault

Greyhorses Sun 12-Nov-17 19:46:18

In fairness to the dog mine would probably panic in the same situation as they are big wimps and get scared without me to protect themhmm

I don't know what other option you have though if the owner isn't willing or able to take responsibility for it. It also needs speyed by the sounds of it so I would suggest that to them also.

Can you run another fence along the inside of your hedge? Maybe go around it on your side with chicken wire or something to block the holes?

LuluGuinness Sun 12-Nov-17 19:52:34

The hedge goes half way down the garden, then the wire trellis/fence takes up the rest of it. Unless it was brick there is nothing that apparently would stop her.

I also can't afford £££ on a fence sad The owners said sorry every time etc and they have tried to block up any hole apparently. It's becoming clear that she's either burrowing or chewing through our fencing to get to my dog.

She's a husky, so not a small dog but known as escape artists. I just don't understand. If I was a new neighbour/in that situation, I would make sure my dog was never out unsupervised

Greyhorses Sun 12-Nov-17 19:58:38

Anyone with any sense would run a 6foot fence along the boundary between you and them so it sounds like they just aren't that bothered confused

LuluGuinness Sun 12-Nov-17 20:02:33

I was quite firm tonight after she growled and scared my elderly relative. In the past I've been quite friendly and appreciated that they were new and the dog wants my dog to play with but it's not okay as on ongoing issue.

I knocked on their door and the woman answered. "Do you know where your dog is?"..."Here...*looks around*"....No. Sitting outside my back door howling (which also sounds quite distressing). She did seem to take me seriously when I said it wasn't on anymore...It's just stress I could really do without

WishingOnABar Sun 12-Nov-17 20:05:02

if she can break through the fencing maybe they need to run a low voltage electric strip along that side?

Not sure of the exact type but a horsey friend of mine had one in a field to stop her horse getting too close to the fence by a busy road. I wasnt expecting it and got quite a zap trying to step over it, surely at the right (lower) voltage it would deter a dog also?

LuluGuinness Sun 12-Nov-17 20:09:15

i'd never advocate that as she could get hurt/even more anxious and also there is the potential for my dog to get hurt too. She also has little children, so definitely not an option (thank you for the reply though! smile )

LuluGuinness Sun 12-Nov-17 20:10:36

I just don't understand how they don't understand the level of WTF/mortification I would feel if my dog ever did such a thing. I'd die of embarassment if my dog ever damaged anyone's property, not that he would. The worst he ever did was weeing in somebody's shoe when he was a little baby and I still offered to buy a new pair!

washingmachinefastwash Sun 12-Nov-17 20:11:45

They need a lunge lead if they want her to stop escaping their garden while they construct a fence.

Reiterate that this can’t keep happening.

Afternooncatnap Sun 12-Nov-17 20:12:12

I wouldn't try to put a lead on it again. It's a big dog and could turn on you.

Unfortunately there is not much you can do to make them contain their dog. You could suggest it goes on a long lead when it's in the garden to stop it wandering. Otherwise report it as a dangerous out of control dog.

Sounds like they are not responsible enough to have a dog like that.

Ttbb Sun 12-Nov-17 20:15:17

Just call the RSPCA every single time she gets through. They'll put up a dance in no time to avoid the fees.

DartmoorDoughnut Sun 12-Nov-17 20:16:36

Surely they’re breaking the law though as the dog is not under control?

LuluGuinness Sun 12-Nov-17 20:16:40

Yes, I'm absolutely not doing that again regarding the lead. She was slow wagging her tail at me which wasn't a good sign either. I think she was just worried but I was frightened too and her sensing her fear and mine is hardly a recipe for success!

I tried telling her to sit a few times and she stood there looking at me defiantly...Only after it was all over did it occur to me she probably had no idea wtf I was saying and only understands their native language (neighbours aren't English but speak English fine to us) so that wasn't her fault either!

Nikephorus Sun 12-Nov-17 20:16:59

It may be the dog being in season that is causing her to be so "enthusiastic" about getting into your garden and maybe that will stop once the season is over? Of course that doesn't help in the meantime, or again if the dog isn't spayed.
I'd be mortified if my dog got into a neighbour's garden just once though, and I'd be doing more than just blocking gaps & hoping for the best. Maybe it's just not their highest priority post-move (though it would be mine)

LuluGuinness Sun 12-Nov-17 20:18:41

Just to add, mine is a big dog too so it wasn't just her size that scared me, it was the whole bizarre situation, especially in the black dark!

The other side of them neighbours are terrified of dogs so it's lucky for them she's not heading to them

LuluGuinness Sun 12-Nov-17 20:21:53

Nikephorus, thats what I'm hoping regarding the season. It's almost a bit sinister that she won't leave my boy alone and appears in the middle of the night in the black dark!

Booboostwo Sun 12-Nov-17 20:35:03

Huskies are notoriously difficult to keep enclosed. They dig under fences, they climb over fences and really need specialized fencing to keep them in. None of which should be your problem though. I think perhaps the next step is to put something in writing, outlining the problem and giving your neighbours a time frame to sort things out. They really need to invest in a husky proof fence.

GeorgeTheHamster Sun 12-Nov-17 20:45:02

And they need to get their dog spayed

randomthoughts Sun 12-Nov-17 20:53:48

No suggestions but we have a similar issue, only the it’s a house the other end of the cul de sac. Several times the kids have been playing in the back garden and one or two large (but of course friendly-as the owners told us so) dogs have come to join them. We take them back, obviously displeased, yet it goes on. I might call the dog warden next time, as it’s not fair on The kids to be scared in their garden and I don’t see why we should have to buy a gate. Let me know what you do next OP.

MrsPringles Sun 12-Nov-17 21:03:56

Oh god, OP I would be so annoyed in your situation (and would be mortified if that was my dog constantly in someone else’s garden)
It must be so frustrating that they don’t give a shit and agree with PP, call the dog warden/RSPCA every time it appears. Annoying that you can’t use your own garden due to a potentially pissed of husky though

LuluGuinness Sun 12-Nov-17 21:56:28

It's ruined the garden for my poor dog too. Everytime he even goes for a wee he has to sniff every inch of the garden because he can smell her. We just can't relax.

I'm concerned about the rspca (not a supporter of them for various reasons) and am extremely apprehensive to put the poor dog through repeated trauma when it's not her that's at fault. I just don't understand why they don't understand the gravitas of the situation. If I kept breaking into their garden and sitting there on their children's slide casually then they'd call the police

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now