Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not understand why people on MN have done all their xmas shopping?

(127 Posts)
Sarahjconnor Sun 12-Nov-17 18:09:52

Xmas is still 6 weeks away and the shops will all have sales/events in the next 4 weeks so why are there so many threads where people have completed all their xmas shopping? I'm confused! AIBU? - I know lots of places put their price up to put back down again - is it cheaper to shop now or just less stressful? I have 52 presents to buy in addition to DH and 2DC so am genuinely very interested to learn cheapest/best/least stressful way to manage so this isn't an 'I know best' thread - I hate shopping and want to learn!

bigchris Sun 12-Nov-17 18:11:06

People often have to spread it over a few pay packets

CandyMelts Sun 12-Nov-17 18:11:56

I've been off work sick, nothing better to do. All bought and wrapped, it's nice knowing it's done. A lot of it isn't things that would be in the sales anyway e.g. event tickets

NapQueen Sun 12-Nov-17 18:12:09

I just start earlyish because I cant afford to wait til the payday before christmas and spend all my wage.

So I will generally spend about 80-100 per month sept/oct/nov. December is also a busy month with festive stuff and dds birthday.

OuchBollocks Sun 12-Nov-17 18:12:14

October & November wages = presents, December wages = festive food and drinks. Plus yes far less stressful.

AnnabellaH Sun 12-Nov-17 18:12:51

Why do you have 52 people to buy for?! shock

NancyJoan Sun 12-Nov-17 18:14:04

There are lots of reasons why people are finished. For example:

Hate crowds so shop early
Find it easier to budget if spread over the year
Take advantage of sales/discounts
Are busy with work/family in December, need to get it done early
Are pregnant/waiting for hospital appointment so want have it done and dusted
Enjoy doing little and often.

Bloodybridget Sun 12-Nov-17 18:14:41

Well, I haven't done all mine yet, nor have I ever by this time of year, but I'd be very pleased if I had. Then I would be able to enjoy the run up to Christmas without racking my brain about this or that person or having to fight my way through the hordes.

LuxuryWoman2017 Sun 12-Nov-17 18:14:45

Most of the threads where people are done or nearly done seem to me to be people expecting babies very close to Christmas so want it done, or people who are going away or sending gifts overseas.

Others have very tight budgets and buy a lot on the January sales or spread it out over months.
I am almost done because some of the things I want will sell out quickly, that goes for popular children's toys, the 'must haves' go fast.

I guess a lot of people buy gifts this month and next months pay will be the food/entertainment money.

I also hate busy shops and it's better to do online ordering earlier in case deliveries get screwed up.
Lots of reasons really.

Cantspell2 Sun 12-Nov-17 18:14:52

Some people don’t like shopping when the shops are packed on the run up to Christmas.
Some people need to spread the costs
Some people just want it out the way
Loads of different reasons so why are you bothered how other people chose to do their Christmas shopping?

HRTpatch Sun 12-Nov-17 18:15:03

Maybe they don't have 52 people to buy for!
I refuse to go shopping in December. I don't care if things are reduced.

MrsBungle Sun 12-Nov-17 18:15:44

I've not finished yet but I start early as I could never afford to buy it all on one months wages. I suppose I could save each month and buy in December but I prefer to start looking and buying the stuff I like earlier, I'd hate to feel pressured.

Leeds2 Sun 12-Nov-17 18:16:45

I buy all of mine online, and have done for a number of years. Never used to begin looking before 1 December until, one year, just after I had placed my last orders, it snowed really heavily. Received lots of emails saying they wouldn't deliver before Christmas and with a young child (think DD was around 8 at the time) I found it incredibly stressful! In the end, it was all delivered on time but DD's main present didn't arrive until Christmas Eve ......
Since then, I have tried to start earlier. Last year, I wrapped stuff as they arrived but haven't been as organised this year!

jellypi3 Sun 12-Nov-17 18:16:51

I'm due 2 weeks after Xmas so I want it all done now!!

juddyrockingcloggs Sun 12-Nov-17 18:17:23

Absolutely no desire to traipse round shops in December! Mine is all done, my food order is complete! December is for enjoying the festivities!

Lelloteddy Sun 12-Nov-17 18:17:34

Isn’t it the time of year for all Christmas threads to be posted in the ‘CHRISTMAS’ topic?
That way those of us who choose not to run ourselves ragged/ overspend/completely miss the point of Christmas aren’t confronted with endless tales of excess and materialism for weeks on end?

AnneLovesGilbert Sun 12-Nov-17 18:17:44

I started earlier than ever this year as I why afford it all from one pay cheque and have some difficult buggers to buy for so need time to come up with some ideas so they don't all get socks.

In a moment of festive madness we decided to make calendars for the DC so have been trying to find tiny presents to fit the tiny boxes. Nearly there...

Summerisdone Sun 12-Nov-17 18:18:18

I've done mine because I got a better deal buying multiple toys together than buying them individually back when I was getting DS's birthday present early October.

Also I don't have a lot of money, but would like to be able to do some festive days out with DS throughout December, so buying presents with September and October's wages meant I'm able to use November's wages on the days out, without worrying about what I can and can't afford due to gift buying also.

Sarahjconnor Sun 12-Nov-17 18:18:28

Ahh this is all good sense. I shop online because I am a hermit so crowds don't factor in. I save from Sept/Oct/Nov for presents and Dec is for food/decs etc so I get that.

I buy individual presents (much appreciated) for the amazing women that work with me in my small business - I have quite a lot of super talented, mostly mums, working for me 4-10 hours a week and like to do a big gratitude session for xmas when I take them for a treat and get them a good present.

I'm not in the least bothered how others do it - I am looking for tips/suggestions/best practise. MN has taught me a lot!

Parker231 Sun 12-Nov-17 18:19:40

I do 100% of present and food/drink shopping online and all presents have been ordered this weekend. Very busy between now and Christmas so very glad that’s it’s all sorted.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sun 12-Nov-17 18:19:59

Ha!

I haven't started, but I'm not worried, gifts wil be no more than £50 altogether.

Turquoisetamborine Sun 12-Nov-17 18:20:09

I buy for 42 including four Christmas birthdays. I couldn’t afford to buy it all from one wage so we spread it over Sept-Dec. I would get bored doing it all in one go as well. It’s tiresome.

Sarahjconnor Sun 12-Nov-17 18:20:53

Leeds2 - I'm in the same part of the UK of your name is anything to go by and I remember that Xmas when it snowed and snowed and no mail got thru - AGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Cantthinkofanoriginalname1 Sun 12-Nov-17 18:20:56

But what do you do about returning things? Most receipts offer a 28 day refund so if you've bought it in August you're stuck aren't you? This is what worries me about shopping too early.

Sarahjconnor Sun 12-Nov-17 18:21:53

Turquoise - vg point - it is boring when it could be done over a few weeks and enjoyable(?) maybe......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now