Talk

Advanced search

photos at remembrance day service?

(29 Posts)
PoppyPopcorn Sun 12-Nov-17 13:59:06

Attended a service today at the war memorial locally. It was very well attended, lots of representatives from teh local community, Police, Armed Services, the MP, Scouts, Guides etc. One of my kids was in a group laying a wreath. I didn't take photos as it didn't feel appropriate, but a woman next to me was snapping away.

There was an "official" photographer from the local paper but we left taking photos until after it was finished.

Just seemed a bit odd and I don't know... disrespectful?

EmmaGellerGreen Sun 12-Nov-17 14:00:23

I think that photos of the parade are fine but not of the ceremony itself.

Justbookedasummmerholiday Sun 12-Nov-17 14:01:40

Maybe she took some for a relative who couldn't make it? There was a huge rainbow where we stood today and lots of people took pics which included the cenitaph and flags.

MrsFionaCharming Sun 12-Nov-17 14:05:51

I took photos of the parade and a few during a break in the ceremony, but stopped for the prayers, songs, and minutes silence.

PoppyPopcorn Sun 12-Nov-17 14:06:29

Might have been all sorts of reasons why she would do it, it just seemed wrong. And I'm usually fairly relaxed about people taking photos of all sorts of things.

NancyDonahue Sun 12-Nov-17 14:57:32

I took photos of dd in the parade, as did most of the other parents. I'm proud of her and want to share with grandparents who don't live close by. Phone was put away for the service.

As long as it's done discreetly as they walk along and there's no waving or posing going on I can't see the problem.

Migraleve Sun 12-Nov-17 15:03:10

There were literally hundreds of people at our parade today with cameras/phones/videos all recording it. I can’t quite see what you think is wrong with that

ReanimatedSGB Sun 12-Nov-17 15:03:30

YABU. Get over yourself. There's more than enough self-righteous guff about this event as it is - people taking photographs may have all sorts of perfectly valid reasons to do so (like, you know, showing the pics to Grandad who is a veteran but too old and frail to come along and see the event himself...)

BarbaraOcumbungles Sun 12-Nov-17 15:04:28

It wouldn’t even enter my head that taking a photo was in any way inappropriate. They broadcast entire services on the tele for goodness sake!

3nonblondedd78 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:38:45

I took a photo of my Dd laying the wreath.
It I'd the first time she was asked and I was proud of her.
Wonder how many people I upset.

BringOnTheScience Sun 12-Nov-17 15:43:30

I was very proud of my Brownies today and their proud parents quite rightly took plenty of photos of the parade and flag bearers.

We just try to be aware of any who should not be photographed for child protection reasons. By all means take photos of your own child, but please don't post pictures of other people's children on social media.

confusedlittleone Sun 12-Nov-17 15:51:45

How is a parent taking photos for whatever reason any more disrespectful then someone taking photos for a newspaper?

WhatwouldAryado Sun 12-Nov-17 16:05:50

Photos probably fine. After all citizens of kenilworth decided fireworks on night of the 11th were an ok way to mark it. Knowing that some ww2 survivors (not just soilders) find fireworks trigger traumatic memories I wouldn't but I imagine as a non UK person my opinion doesn't matter.

1moreRep Sun 12-Nov-17 16:27:09

well my dp (serving marine) was laying the wreath for the Navy in the city we live today and i took photos before the ceremony and had no problem with people snapping away - indeed it was heart warming seeing support from the congregation - i took photos for our children who could not be with us today

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Sun 12-Nov-17 16:28:53

Its a public event and people are permitted to take photos of it should they so choose. Common decency would say you don't take photos during the 2 mins silence but otherwise snap away

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Sun 12-Nov-17 16:30:24

@bringonthescience legally you can take photos of children in public spaces providing they're in a group and in a setting that is public so they can be photographed in a public parade without consent

mustbemad17 Sun 12-Nov-17 16:31:43

My daughter was part of a parade today. My folks couldn't be here, asked for photos. My dad has been military for the last 36 years & is huge on respect at parades. He never has a problem with photos. Why? Because taking part in a parade of remembrance is a massive form of pride. YABU. As long as nobody disturbed the service then there is no issue!!

Ragwort Sun 12-Nov-17 16:32:36

I tend to agree but I am incredibly old fashioned and just don't get this trend for taking photos all the time, I think I've only taken a couple of pictures this year, once when my DS went to his Prom and another time when some long lost family came to visit and I took a photo of us all in the garden grin.

So many people tend to take a photo at every opportunity, each to their own smile.

Rowgtfc72 Sun 12-Nov-17 19:34:21

Dd is ten and laid a wreath today. Her dad was at work so i videoed it for him. No flash on phone or volume and I was stood out of the way to one side.

Must admit I was unsure as to whether it was ok or not

Council Sun 12-Nov-17 19:37:45

My son led the colour party for cadets today and I took photos while he did his bit, none while readings/prayers were being said but then there wasn't much to see at that point.

Have to admit I did have a look to see if anyone else was taking photos though, as I wasn't quite sure it was appropriate.

ILoveMillhousesDad Sun 12-Nov-17 19:43:43

*I took a photo of my Dd laying the wreath.
It I'd the first time she was asked and I was proud of her.*

Me too.

BringOnTheScience Sun 12-Nov-17 20:06:05

Bumpowder I'm well aware of the rules on photos in public. What I have to manage is when Flossie's foster parents have very good reason for not wanting her pic on social media to reduce the chance of the abusive parent tracng her, while Jemima's mum takes a photo of Jemima & Flossie together and posts it on her FB page with both girls' names. That's very different to a photo of a mass parade (for which I put Flossie in the middle of a row and walk beside her myself to semi-block the view).

TabbyMumz Sun 12-Nov-17 20:10:13

It's not the taking of photos that annoys me but how people use the, ie if it's a photo of their child that then goes on various sites on the internet promoting how wonderful that child is for attending. And when they do self promotion, like making out they are marvellous for attending etc. It's not about self promotion, it's about remembering the dead. There is just something about it that's wrong, so I do get where the op is coming from.

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Sun 12-Nov-17 21:05:49

But what's to stop Dave who is in the cubs mum from taking a photo of the two groups together or the local press doing a "from above" photo which they were doing in my town today. Or even just the local photography club being out taking photos... I get why people don't want their kids photographed but it's not always possible

Council Sun 12-Nov-17 21:12:08

It's not the photographs themselves, but when people name other children. Although TBH most people on my feed seem aware of that and don't do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now