Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To question where creeper learnt to drive.

(67 Posts)
1DAD2KIDS Sun 12-Nov-17 13:39:05

Often while diving around I'll find my self stoped at the front of traffic lights. So I apply the handbrake and await the signal to go green again. Often I find the car next to be will just keep creeping forwards, sometimes half way across the junction by time lights change again. Then I will pull away and they'll still be standing confused

1DAD2KIDS Sun 12-Nov-17 13:41:20

What are they trying to do? Race me? Or can they not be bothered to stop, apply handbrake and have really bad clutch control? Or is there an other reason? Is there anyone on here who actully is a creaper who can explain?

Diamondjoan Sun 12-Nov-17 13:48:36

Sometimes they are trying to take your lane on the other side of the junction, but as you say they’re still standing when you move off I just put it down to bad driving, absent mindedness etc

Ameliablue Sun 12-Nov-17 13:50:39

Most people I see creeping forward, also rush as soon as the lights change so I put it down to impatience.

Incitatus Sun 12-Nov-17 13:53:22

They have so much money and don’t know what to spend it on, so might as well spend it on a new clutch.

SandyDenny Sun 12-Nov-17 13:53:40

I don't put my handbrake I on at traffic lights, I don't creep forward either but maybe they're late or in a hurry

RaeCJ82 Sun 12-Nov-17 14:06:18

I am always shocked when people who have been driving for a while apply there handbrake at junctions, lights etc. Yes I know, it’s good practice but come on. I am surprised that the creeper is still stationary and you’ve managed to get going to be honest, as most people who do this are in a hurry and are off as soon as the lights change.

Ttbb Sun 12-Nov-17 14:08:29

They are staying in first fear so that they can start more quickly when the lights change. This is encouraged by instructors (obviously without going over the line).

ChelleDawg2020 Sun 12-Nov-17 14:08:37

They're not trying to race you, they are just waiting for the lights to change. If they cross the white line then they are in breach of the highway code, but lots of people don't bother to use the handbrake every time they stop at the lights.

Ttbb Sun 12-Nov-17 14:09:22

*first gear.

gamerchick Sun 12-Nov-17 14:13:46

I am always shocked when people who have been driving for a while apply there handbrake at junctions, lights etc.

You’re one of those who sit on the brakes and blind the people behind you in the dark aren’t you? wink

Nestlyn Sun 12-Nov-17 14:15:26

You should use your handbrake just in case someone crashes in to the back of you.

Migraleve Sun 12-Nov-17 14:34:16

I am always shocked when people who have been driving for a while apply there handbrake at junctions, lights etc.

I am always shocked when people DONT apply the handbrake. There is no need to be dazzling people with your brake lights when stationary:

MyKingdomForBrie Sun 12-Nov-17 14:36:48

Well we do play the keep it rolling game on approach to lights (can you keep moving til change) but wouldn’t go over the line, that’s when you’ve lost when you reach the line/car in front!

mummyrabbitpeppapig Sun 12-Nov-17 14:37:04

I am one of THOSE drivers who applies my handbrake at traffic lights. Tsk tsk

catgirl1976 Sun 12-Nov-17 14:39:05

I've recently learnt to drive

My instructor taught me NOT to apply the handbrake at traffic lights and to stay in first with my foot on the brake, then as the lights go amber biting point (until I swapped to automatic only) and then away

I think that's how it's taught now as I went through 3 instructors before I found one I "clicked" with and they all taught the same thing

Nothingrhymeswithfamily Sun 12-Nov-17 14:42:12

My guess would be creepy creepy auto

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sun 12-Nov-17 14:45:21

"I am always shocked when people who have been driving for a while apply there handbrake at junctions, lights etc."

I was rear ended at a junction, the driver behind me didn't have his handbrake on so went straight into me when someone crashed into him!

Luckily I DID have my handbrake on, which meant I didn't then crash into the car in front of mine. I needed a new bumper tooth.

ALWAYS use your handbrake

gamerchick Sun 12-Nov-17 14:49:35

've recently learnt to drive

My instructor taught me NOT to apply the handbrake at traffic lights and to stay in first with my foot on the brake, then as the lights go amber biting point (until I swapped to automatic only) and then away

I recent learned how to drive as well and I was taught the opposite to you. In fact his words come screaming back to me when I stalled and nearly rolled into the car behind me.

Lessons learnt.

BaronessBomburst Sun 12-Nov-17 14:50:34

If I didn't change into neutral with the handbrake on at some of the lights local to me, I'd get cramp in my foot. I can still pull away faster than the boy racers in the outside lane.

deepestdarkestperu Sun 12-Nov-17 14:52:02

I passed my test last month and was taught to use my handbrake. I think it's dependent on the instructor, tbh.

RaeCJ82 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:07:19

You shouldn’t stop so near to the car in front that a small shunt would force you into them and if they whack into you at speed, your handbrake will do nothing to prevent you from being shunted forward.

NerrSnerr Sun 12-Nov-17 15:15:21

I drive at night all the time and brake lights never dazzle me. Strange.

gamerchick Sun 12-Nov-17 15:20:06

Ah the old I'm all right jack. Gotta love one of them grin

Belleoftheball8 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:21:05

I've recently learnt to drive

+My instructor taught me NOT to apply the handbrake at traffic lights and to stay in first with my foot on the brake, then as the lights go amber biting point (until I swapped to automatic only) and then away*

I passed my test in July I was taught to always apply the handbrake at traffic lights especially in case someone did end up crashing into the back of me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now