Talk

Advanced search

After divorce did you change your surname?

(134 Posts)
Justoneme Sun 12-Nov-17 11:09:17

Following on from another thread I am interested in knowing; after divorce did you revert back to your maiden name?
If yes why?
And if no why?

spanieleyes Sun 12-Nov-17 11:16:09

No, I kept my married name for 2 reasons; I had had my married name longer than my birth name and it was also the name of my children and I didn't want to be different to them .

Bluelonerose Sun 12-Nov-17 11:19:05

I went back to my maiden name purely coz I didn't want any connection to him.

My maiden name is my identity.
However I'm still In my married name in my passport as I've still got 5 years on it.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Sun 12-Nov-17 11:21:39

Yes I went back to my maiden name when the divorce was finalised. I didn't want anything to do with the bastard anymore.
But each and every divorce is different and keeping your name or changing it back is up to each person and whatever they decide is ok.

CurlsLDN Sun 12-Nov-17 11:22:53

I would really really love to, but ds has stb exh’s name, so I think I’m better off living with it, unfortunately

BarryTheKestrel Sun 12-Nov-17 11:25:40

I'm not divorced by DM kept her married name until I got married and changed my name. She went back to her maiden name 4 days after my wedding. She said she kept it to have the same name as me, but as soon as I no longer had that name there was no need for her to any more. It had made her unhappy for years and I wish she'd changed it when she wanted to rather than waiting for me to change mine.

DoggyMadMum Sun 12-Nov-17 11:29:28

I kept my married name as it was the same as my son’s & I still liked my ex more than my parents so preferred my “adult name” as I saw it. Remarried now so no longer an issue.

llangennith Sun 12-Nov-17 11:29:37

When my children were late teens I reverted to my maiden name as it was ‘my’ name. My DC changed their names to that name too very soon after. Now the DDs have married they’ve taken their respective husbands’ names.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 12-Nov-17 11:31:24

I’ll be keeping my married name. It’s mine now.

TheStoic Sun 12-Nov-17 11:33:31

Those who want to have the same name as your kids, what will you do if you re-marry?

NC4now Sun 12-Nov-17 11:33:56

My children have my maiden name and I changed mine when I got married. I wish I’d kept my MN as a middle name and do still use it for school etc.
I think i’d go back to it if I got divorced.
I might keep my married name at work as I trade on my name but I might feel like PPs if we split up. Who knows? I like my married name better than my maiden name.

expatinscotland Sun 12-Nov-17 11:34:47

I kept it as I'd been using it professionally.

SweetEnough Sun 12-Nov-17 11:38:21

I'm keeping mine too, because it's the same as my dd's and I can't be arsed with the hassle of changing everything!

Notreallyarsed Sun 12-Nov-17 11:39:49

Yes, as soon as I could. He was an abusive bastard and I didn’t want to keep his name. He refused to allow me to change DS1s name to mine (more control) but that is now DS1s name which he has chosen to keep. I won’t be getting married again, but even if I was going to I’d keep my own name .

MonaChopsis Sun 12-Nov-17 11:41:02

I kept my married name, I wanted to be the same as my DD. I'll change back when she is 16 and can decide for herself what she wants her surname to be.

SweetEnough Sun 12-Nov-17 11:42:57

Stoic, I have no plans to marry dp. If I do it'll be when they've left the nest. I don't think it'll bother me as much when they're older.

OllyBJolly Sun 12-Nov-17 11:47:02

I didn't change my name on marriage. When XH left I wanted to have same name as my DCs so -bizarrely - decided to call myself Mrs XH. That lasted about a fortnight, thankfully before I'd done anything official.

I changed mine back, changed DCs to my name and we lived happily every after.

user7680 Sun 12-Nov-17 11:47:03

If am divorced I wouldn’t change it as my dd has the same surname I wouldn’t like the idea of asking the ex for permission if I want to take my dd on holiday etc

Bluelonerose Sun 12-Nov-17 11:47:39

To add onto mine my older 2 dc have my maiden name anyway (their dad's surname is ridiculous even he wouldn't want them using it)
When ds2 was born he was double barrelled as we were engaged and we dropped my surname out of it when we got married.
Ds2 dad doesn't want anything to do with him but is adamant he keeps his surname hmm

I'm not fussed if he wants to change it when he's older he can it's his choice.

Oldbutstillgotit Sun 12-Nov-17 11:48:03

I kept mine as my DC were still young at the time . If didn’t bother ex however his next wife wrote to me and demanded I change my name as she was now Mrs X . I ignored her ( and the subsequent abusivec phone calls) and only changed when I remarried. By this time my DC were in mid teens and fine about change .

LaughingElliot Sun 12-Nov-17 11:49:08

Never changed my surname for marriage, and actually don’t understand why anyone does.

JacquesHammer Sun 12-Nov-17 11:50:01

I kept it for two reasons; one because I wanted the same name as my daughter and two because it is my professional name.

Those who want to have the same name as your kids, what will you do if you re-marry?

I won't get married again so it's not really a consideration for me.

MsGameandWatching Sun 12-Nov-17 11:50:06

I won’t remarry ever.

Splinterz Sun 12-Nov-17 11:52:53

Yes - no children - no need to keep the name.

StarsAndMoonsBlanket Sun 12-Nov-17 11:58:12

I changed my name on marriage because my DParents where divorced and DM had reverted to her maiden name, I didn't want to be connected to my father.

DH and I married after DD was born, but she's always had DHs surname. I wouldn't change my name if I divorced because I don't like DMs maiden name and wouldn't want the connection to my father. I'd rather be connect to DH/DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now