Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To expect Christmas cards?

(215 Posts)
mintich Sun 12-Nov-17 10:05:06

For the last couple of years, I have received around half the cards I send out to friends. I normally get a text saying "thanks for the card but we aren't sending cards this year" I think it's sad that they aren't sending cards anymore. I get if people can't afford it but I'm pretty sure they can. It seems petty to only send a card if I'll get one back but that's how I feel!

Splinterz Sun 12-Nov-17 10:07:13

Cards are made for people who are too lazy to pick up the phone and wish someone Merry Christmas/Happy Birthday/Condolence etc. They are a pointless waste of time, effort, stamps, trees and dust collectors.

mintich Sun 12-Nov-17 10:08:55

If cards are lazy then how lazy is texting!!

ThePinkOcelot Sun 12-Nov-17 10:09:46

I haven’t sent cards for the past couple of years. It’s not that I can’t afford them, I have already bought them, I just can’t be arsed! It’s a chore!
Do you really care?! I couldn’t care if I didn’t receive 1 card. Do they mean anything? I don’t think they do.

ThePinkOcelot Sun 12-Nov-17 10:10:55

Cards are lazy? What a load of crap! It’s hardly lazy sitting writing a tonne of cards!

schoolgaterebel Sun 12-Nov-17 10:12:14

We received about half the amount of cards last year. I kept a list of who we got from and will only send to them this year. It's a relief quite honestly, it's always such a chore. I'm hoping soon the cards will dwindle to 0 smile

Splinterz Sun 12-Nov-17 10:13:45

Replace lazy with socially inept. In the time it takes you to go buy a card, write the bloody thing, remember those old fashioned things called stamps, stick them on envelope, go to the post office, you could have rung the person.

People send cards because they cant be bothered to actually talk to someone.

ClashCityRocker Sun 12-Nov-17 10:16:11

I haven't sent cards since school. Apart from to my nana, because she'd be gutted if I didn't!

MIL is a card demon though - she still exchanges cards with people she met on holiday thirty years ago... And gets a great many back.

I wonder if it's a generational thing? We receive a handful and one of those is usually from the local takeaway.

The cost of postage is prohibitive I think, and if I'm delivering a card I can wish them happy Christmas in person.

Incitatus Sun 12-Nov-17 10:16:36

Cards are annoying and pointless. This is why texting was created. Far more efficient, fun, free and doesn’t take up room in the house.

Any xmas cards I receive just go straight into the recycling, I don’t even bother opening them I’m afraid.

TheStoic Sun 12-Nov-17 10:16:54

YWBU to expect one from me. I’ve never done the Christmas card thing.

Do you send them because you expect one back?

JustHope Sun 12-Nov-17 10:17:41

YABU, if you want to send cards knock your socks off but sending to expect a card in return is just daft. Personally, I only send cards to older relatives and some family abroad that I am not in touch with online. Cards are expensive to buy and post and the clutter of them all over the house drives me crazy.

Topseyt Sun 12-Nov-17 10:17:47

Apart from for my parents and sister, who I don't see, I stopped sending them a couple of years ago.

They are the most collosal chore, and certainly aren't environmentally friendly. They aren't a lazy option either. They take time to write and post.

AdalindSchade Sun 12-Nov-17 10:19:34

I bloody love Christmas cards and always send them, but I don't care if I don't get them back because we are all different!

SheSparkles Sun 12-Nov-17 10:20:04

I stopped sending cards about 3 years ago when I realised how much it would cost in postage, instead I donate that money to our local food bank where it can do some tangible good.

Topseyt Sun 12-Nov-17 10:20:41

Collossal. I think it is spelled that way. Sorry. Autocorrect changed it.

FlyingSoloFlyingFree Sun 12-Nov-17 10:21:49

Oh god you sound like my DM, always banging on about who didn’t send her a card this year. People are busy, just because they didn’t waste money on some glitter encrusted cards and an overpriced stamp doesn’t mean they aren’t bothered, there are just easier ways to stay in touch. Xmas cards are outdated.

scaryteacher Sun 12-Nov-17 10:22:36

I send cards to people, and as for that's why texting was invented....bollocks. I don't have the mobile numbers for some of the people to whom I send cards, and I wouldn't text them anyway.

I like getting cards too...my Mum will sometimes send me one to make me laugh, or I'll send one to show I'm thinking of someone.

Dh was told by text that his Dad had died....a text from his mother. I don't find texting a particularly appropriate medium for every social interaction.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Sun 12-Nov-17 10:23:22

People send cards because they cant be bothered to actually talk to someone.

I dont send cards to anyone i dont speak to on a regular basis with the exception of elderly relatives who, i kid you not, have been know to ring my dad to see where their card has gone

I have noticed less people sending cards and i wont be at all distressed when everyone stops doing it

I use mine as decoration, tucking them amongst books. Sadly i have started keeping some of the prettier cards so i can continue using them for this reason grin

CoxxoC Sun 12-Nov-17 10:23:54

I don't think it is petty to only send a card if you get one back - you're just continuing with the tradition with people who are interested in doing so, and respecting the wishes of those who aren't.

annandale Sun 12-Nov-17 10:24:40

I like sending cards and receiving them but at 70p a pop in postage you can't blame people for not doing it. It's a pain for me because they used to be my house decorations, plus gift tags for next year.

What I really hate is getting cards from people clearly ONLY because I sent them one. Send them to people you want to stay in touch with and think of at Christmas. If that means not very many, fine.

mintich Sun 12-Nov-17 10:25:13

But I do regularly talk to the people I send cards to. I think whoever said it's a generational thing is right. My parents send and receive from everyone they know! People they worked with 30 years ago down to the next door neighbour.
Seems by this thread that I'm a bit old fashioned!!

ZaZathecat Sun 12-Nov-17 10:25:16

Card sending is dwindling but I can't say I miss it. As long as people who care about each other keep in touch somehow that's all that matters. I don't regret not having a card from my second cousin who I met 6 times as a child and have never met their partner or children but felt we should keep up the Xmas cards for the rest of our lives.

Also this reminded me of a friend who phased me out after years of close friendship and no row or reason that I know of - but she kept sending a card every year despite always swerving any attempt by me to arrange to meet. I was the one who eventually stopped first as it seemed so fake.

mintich Sun 12-Nov-17 10:25:17

But I do regularly talk to the people I send cards to. I think whoever said it's a generational thing is right. My parents send and receive from everyone they know! People they worked with 30 years ago down to the next door neighbour.
Seems by this thread that I'm a bit old fashioned!!

greendale17 Sun 12-Nov-17 10:25:21

I have always sent Christmas cards. I like the tradition of it.

I am certainly not lazy and I actually still ring people over the Christmas holidays.

JacquesHammer Sun 12-Nov-17 10:26:21

Replace lazy with socially inept. <snip> People send cards because they cant be bothered to actually talk to someone

I never send cards to anyone I don't speak to regularly. I don't send cards to everyone, but I have a number of elderly relatives/acquaintances who love to receive cards.

So you say socially inept. I say kind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now