Talk

Advanced search

To give this Christmas Gift

(26 Posts)
guessmyusername Sat 11-Nov-17 23:00:36

to my DB & SIL. To put into context I don't really like them as my DB is a taker (always has been!). For so many years now I have given them reasonable gifts and what I have got back is just so cheap. One year we got a packet of pot purri (when dd was little and I couldn't put it out or she would eat it!). The year before last we got a bag of jelly babies. Last year we got a box of biscuits that I saw in the supermarket for £3. My sister & other brother both got the same! My mum always said to us that it was always the thought that counted and you don't give to get back. But I have had enough.

My brother is not poor. My sister and I had a discussion last christmas that we were going to regift the box of biscuits back to them this year. But we realised they would be out of date and therefore a bit petty.

I have been trying to think outside the box about a suitable gift for them this year and had the inspiration that I could do one of those charity gifts, like a goat or a couple of chickens, or a water well and put it in their name, with a card explaining the gift to be opened on christmas morning. My dd thinks I have lost the plot!

What do you think?

Maelstrop Sat 11-Nov-17 23:02:37

I think I would find the same biscuits and buy those, or a packet of jelly babies. Totally reflect what they give. Easy. Don't spend over £3.

RJnomore1 Sat 11-Nov-17 23:04:44

I'd go bottle of lambrini personally.

Betsy86 Sat 11-Nov-17 23:06:09

Just buy a £3 box of biscuits. I need to do the same for some people but always get guilt pangs and buy more then feel irritated at myself after for doing so ha x

Betsy86 Sat 11-Nov-17 23:06:46

Lambrini?? Pfffft shloer more like lol

WishingOnABar Sat 11-Nov-17 23:08:33

A bottle? No no no. A boxed wine will be much better grin
In all seriousness they obviously don’t want to make much effort so I would just respond in kind with a box of biscuits / chocs from a pound shop. Now you have one less person to worry about buying for

ShatnersBassoon Sat 11-Nov-17 23:08:40

They obviously prefer to give a small token gift, so follow their lead and do the same.

RJnomore1 Sat 11-Nov-17 23:09:31

Acht

Shloer is £1.10 in Asda
Lambrini original is £1.78

I'd be the bigger person 😂

Imalloutofoptions Sat 11-Nov-17 23:11:57

Wrap up a single Celebration chocolate a la Nessa from Gavin & Stacey?

CherryChasingDotMuncher Sat 11-Nov-17 23:20:02

My mum always said to us that it was always the thought that counted and you don't give to get back

I agree with your Mum I’m afraid!
However...it is the thought that counts and with presents such as these the only thought is “I’ll get this because it’s cheap”, regardless of wether the receiver likes it or not.

Go with the goat gift, it’s charitable and thoughtful grin

LovingLola Sat 11-Nov-17 23:25:46

I would give nothing. And make no excuses.

R2G Sat 11-Nov-17 23:29:55

I don't understand why people get wound up like this. Just give them a similar gift and don't think any more about it. You and your other sister can carry on spoiling each other.

justilou1 Sat 11-Nov-17 23:34:02

Just return the thought - Shitty cheap candles are great for that. Especially if they have small kids.

PinkHeart5914 Sat 11-Nov-17 23:36:21

I do absolutely agree it is the thought that counts but where is the thought in a £3 box of biscuits? I could understand it if they were your all time favourite biscuits but I’m assuming there not.

I’d buy him a £3 box of jelly Babies this year, I’d wrap them in really lovely paper/bow/gift tag so he thought something great was inside and I’d enjoy seeing his face

Autumnskiesarelovely Sat 11-Nov-17 23:36:41

I don’t understand why you’ve continued to give reasonable gifts? I haven’t been able to give nice gifts to some relations, and I hate it when they keep giving me better ones. I honestly just only get big gifts for a small number of people, then have about 30 more who expect a gift too! Biscuits it usually is...

Gifts are meant to help relationships. Do you get on with them?

Ilovelampandchair Sat 11-Nov-17 23:38:19

Just send a fresh box of biscuits. That's clearly the level of gift they are comfortable with.

MumW Sat 11-Nov-17 23:42:15

Pair of socks - so cliché but oh so I couldn't be bothered.

expatinscotland Sat 11-Nov-17 23:45:13

I'd go with those Maryland biscuits that are about 70p a roll. You could really push the boat out and buy one for each!

guessmyusername Sat 11-Nov-17 23:56:01

Oh Dear! So many boxes of biscuits. And I really wanted to get a goat or a pair of chickens.

GothAndTired Sun 12-Nov-17 00:03:16

Get the goat!

Chottie Sun 12-Nov-17 00:15:15

Please buy a 'support a charity' present on their behalf. There are loads of suggestions from Oxfam.

www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/oxfam-unwrapped/grow-vegetables/pile-of-poo-ou1007ml?intcmp=ou-home-product-pile-of-poo

WishingOnABar Sun 12-Nov-17 00:17:25

Oh Chottie thank you so much. You have just helped me tick off at least three people on my gift list

MrsMoastyToasty Sun 12-Nov-17 00:29:28

Or do what my MIL used to do and give us the items she'd won in the weekly raffle at her local community hall bingo session. Complete with the raffle ticket on top.

Lostinspaceoutatsea Sun 12-Nov-17 02:00:06

Get them a freddo each.

guessmyusername Sun 12-Nov-17 21:57:23

Chottie I was very tempted with the pile of poo but thought that was a bit too obvious! I thought the chickens or goat was a bit more subtle or thoughtful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: