Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to leave work two hours early

(10 Posts)
BalugaBelle Sat 11-Nov-17 22:52:43

Was working 9-3.30 Monday. Shift got changed THIS MORNING to 9-5.30.

I have no one to get kids from school... Is five miles away so they can't walk and they are too young to bus. Assuming I could get childcare so short notice, I can't afford it!

So WIBU to just walk out work at three thirty?!

I have screenshots of original shift.

We're short staffed (retail) and I'm so fucked off. Being given six days a week to work instead of four as contract states, keep having to remind boss I have a life and don't want to do six days a week, every day I am having to ask him to take days off the rota!

But aside from that I love my job, the people and the shop! So I don't just want to leave.

So WIBU and any advice?

WatchingFromTheWings Sat 11-Nov-17 22:53:44

At such short notice I’d say YANBU. I’d have done the same.

meladeso Sat 11-Nov-17 22:53:57

Sounds like you were not being unreasonable to me

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Sat 11-Nov-17 22:56:46

Just speak to your manager. I wouldn't just walk but explain you can't do extra two hours at such short notice.

student26 Sat 11-Nov-17 23:00:42

I'd walk and explain that you were not given enough notice and you have responsibilities to your kids.
I was put on the rota having to work an extra couple of hours meaning my brother would have to wait an extra two hours in the car for me to go home(we worked at the same place). I refused to do it as I wasn't told about the rota change. They weren't pleased but nothing they could do.

FluttershysCutieMark Sat 11-Nov-17 23:08:53

You should talk to your boss about it. It's shit and used to happen to me in retail too. However you shouldn't just walk out and defend it by saying you have screenshots of the rota and didn't know it had been changed. You should be checking your shifts most times you're in precisely for this reason,

doodle01 Sat 11-Nov-17 23:18:46

yep employer has to be reasonable anyone would say thats not.
However as an employer I would expect everyone to have a plan B if things do not go to plan.
In my last job there was always a crisis at the last minute learnt not to pick up the phone after a certain time worked a treat

Bunnystew Sat 11-Nov-17 23:26:27

Just tell him you have worked the shift origionally agreed. As he knows you have childcare commitments so can’t work later then x time.

Also tell him you can’t work Fridays or Saturdays from now on so please don’t add you to the rota as you still won’t be able to work those days. Remind him every time

justilou1 Sat 11-Nov-17 23:29:31

If you have a contract, you can tell manager that this is all you are willing and able to offer him/her. They must know that changing your shift at short notice is totally unacceptable, and that it is not your responsibility to come up with a solution.

Supermagicsmile Sat 11-Nov-17 23:52:30

Yanbu

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now