Talk

Advanced search

Why do people like gravy so much?

(238 Posts)
PuppyMonkey Sat 11-Nov-17 17:12:56

I'm the only person in Britain who doesn't like gravy, I reckon.

It makes everything on the plate soggy, tasting of brown gravy.

I'm having steak pies today, made with a rich sauce inside and nice crumbly shortcrust pastry. And I just know that DP and kids will insist in having gravy too. Making the crumbly pastry all soggy and gloopy and everything taste of wet.

Also ruins Yorkshire puddings and Sunday dinner.

I don't get it.

wowbutter Sat 11-Nov-17 17:13:30

If you taste my gravy... you'd get it.

MsJolly Sat 11-Nov-17 17:14:32

Because it's bloody lovely!

PickAChew Sat 11-Nov-17 17:15:11

Gravy is lovely.

DS1 is scared of it, though.

PuppyMonkey Sat 11-Nov-17 17:15:21

I wouldn't wow, though I'm sure it's lovely - for people who like wet soggy dinner.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sat 11-Nov-17 17:15:49

Because they are just weird. Sits on PuppyMonkey side.

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Sat 11-Nov-17 17:15:52

You can't have pie without relish & gravy-it's just how it is.
Chips & gravy is another wonderful thing.
How can you have a Yorkshire pud without gravy? Just wrong shock

maddiemookins16mum Sat 11-Nov-17 17:16:15

A good gravy brings everything together. I do however have gravy rules.
Not on top of stuffing, not on top of cauliflower cheese.
A roast can be quite a dry meal (if there indeed is such a thing) without gravy.

PuppyMonkey Sat 11-Nov-17 17:16:56

Nope, they taste like Yorkshire pudding without gravy. Rather than tasting of gravy.

DJBaggySmalls Sat 11-Nov-17 17:17:06

Are you making gravy with Marmite and sprouts?

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Sat 11-Nov-17 17:17:06

My DH hates gravy!

PurplePillowCase Sat 11-Nov-17 17:17:36

so you mean instant gravy from granules?
if yes, yanbu, it's not very nice, just salty and wet.
but proper gravy made from 'real' ingredients and not e-numbers is totally different.

April241 Sat 11-Nov-17 17:18:15

Taste of wet?! Haha love this.

Im not a big gravy fan. I love chips and gravy and the odd sunday dinner/steak pie with some but I could leave it.

I stayed with my Gran a while and every night was gravy on something. I couldnt even look at gravy after weeks of it.

PaperdollCartoon Sat 11-Nov-17 17:18:42

I don’t like dry meals. Something like a roast without gravy would just be too dry. I’m a sauce fan in general.

x2boys Sat 11-Nov-17 17:19:10

Oh I love gravy, chips and gravy is bloody marvellous I like it on battered fish too but I'm told that's wrong hmm

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sat 11-Nov-17 17:19:53

I'm not the biggest gravy fan either puppy I'd quite happily go without it.

I certainly go without it on pies even most of a roast dinner if it's mashed potatoes all of a roast dinners. Absolutely ruins yorkshires your right.
However I do have to have it on roast potatoes but then I don't partically like them so.

Also it's lush on chicken and chips, or just chips.

ShovingLeopard Sat 11-Nov-17 17:20:03

To me gravy is a generational thing - my parents love it (70). Me and friends don't think to make it (other than maybe a bit of a 'jus' type thing with the scrapings of a roast chicken tray and some wine and lemon). Eating styles have changed massively in recent years.

EdmundCleverClogs Sat 11-Nov-17 17:20:16

No, your not the only one. My partner is also a weirdo, won't even have it on his Xmas dinner (he has ketchup shock). Then again, he doesn't like anything with much sauce/gravy/liquid - it took years to get him to even try curry (which is now his only exception with sauce-heavy meals).

PuppyMonkey Sat 11-Nov-17 17:20:29

Doesn't matter if you put caviar and baby unicorns in it, all tastes revolting and spoils dinner.

TheMogget Sat 11-Nov-17 17:20:30

Wouldn’t gravy just be more of the nice rich sauce from inside your pie? I wouldn’t have a different gravy, that would be weird

Battleax Sat 11-Nov-17 17:21:00

I know at least two people who hate gravy.

And plenty who wouldn't put gravy on a pie.

Enough for a support group anyway smile

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Sat 11-Nov-17 17:21:00

I drown my food in gravy! It causes rows! grin

PuppyMonkey Sat 11-Nov-17 17:21:34

Don't mind a nice sauce and a bit of jus. As long as the plate's not swimming in the stuff.

PuppyMonkey Sat 11-Nov-17 17:22:00

Support group? I'm in.grin

HurtyTeeth Sat 11-Nov-17 17:22:05

Homemade gravy is lush when made with the meat juices and those sticky bits at the bottom of the roasting tray. No bisto can hold a candle to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now