Talk

Advanced search

Not really AIBU-but anyone know where i can get this cheaper?

(20 Posts)
hungryhippo90 Sat 11-Nov-17 08:35:09

DD has wanted the simpsons lego set since it came out....it feels like ive been veto-ing it for the past 3 years or so.

Finally its got to the point where she only wants a few things and is now old enough to take care of whatever she is bought.

So were going to bite the bullet,.....but does anyone know where i may be able to get this cheaper than the £189 ive found it so far?

it just seems so much for Lego.

RandomUsernameHere Sat 11-Nov-17 08:44:16

You could try and get it in a Black Friday sale.
I would try Amazon, eBay, Google etc, just try and compare as many places as you can.

IceRebel Sat 11-Nov-17 09:10:32

If you don't mind buying it second hand there are plenty on bricklink, and most come with the original box.

www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=71006-1#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

It's a very popular set, and holds it's price well so even at £189 it's a good buy smile

sleepdeprivedby2 Sat 11-Nov-17 09:27:56

Not the real deal and it will take a while to arrive but she won’t know the difference or care in my experience
Look what I found on AliExpress
http://s.aliexpress.com/maIB7N7b

19lottie82 Sat 11-Nov-17 09:48:32

sleep the problem with that is, chances are it won’t meet EU safety regulations, and by the time you pay import duty, card fees and take into consideration the crap exchange rate, is it really worth it?

IceRebel Sat 11-Nov-17 09:50:01

Ah nooo don't buy Lepin, it's Chinese counterfeit Lego.

It may be cheaper, but you can't easily resell Lepin products. For example people have had listings removed when they have tried to sell on Ebay, so saving a few pounds now might be costly in the future.

Real Lego may be expensive but it holds it's value, and has undergone proper safety checks.

LagunaBubbles Sat 11-Nov-17 09:54:08

I would be interested to as my DS has been wanting it for years! I think he would know if it was fake, he's 15! It's the house he wants, not the Kwik e Mart.

Bringmewineandcake Sat 11-Nov-17 10:04:11

Wowzers that’s expensive shock
Maybe wait till smyths have got money off when you spend £100 again? It looks to be full price everywhere.

ijustwannadance Sat 11-Nov-17 10:07:30

The only time this set gets any cheaper is when smyths have deals on like £20 off +£100 spend or 20%off toys weekend
(Which they will probably do at some point before xmas)

Ifartrainbowsandglitter Sat 11-Nov-17 10:09:01

Can you ask everyone for money for him this Christmas and then go and buy it together on Boxing Day?

Missingstreetlife Sat 11-Nov-17 10:11:58

Lego is pricey but is the best. They play with it endlessly and foreverer and people can always add little extra bits. It all goes together and worth every penny

hungryhippo90 Sat 11-Nov-17 10:29:29

thanks everyone for the advice, Lego store has a special offer on at the moment where you get a free gift from them when spending over £60 so that may be the best way to do it.

Im not sure id trust second hand, or it to get from China in time, though the idea is appreciated. I may take a punt with the qwik-e mart in the new year for DD and DH to have a crack at.

im glad to see there are others considering getting this too....was starting to worry i was a bit mad being (almost) happy to spend that amount on lego.

hungryhippo90 Sat 11-Nov-17 10:33:37

ifartrainbows- people would happily give towards the lego cause, but I am unreasonably wanting it to be my (ok, our- DH and I) gift for her, as I know itll just make her day.
Her grandparents are going to set about buying gifts and gifting her money towards our trip away for her birthday (her birthdays boxing day) so foreign exchange and stuff....its all a bit weird this year as Grandparents are celebrating her birthday with her a few days later.

IceRebel Sat 11-Nov-17 11:13:51

@hungryhippo90 You're not mad for spending £190 on Lego, some of the sets are much more expensive.

The new Lego Star wars millennium falcon set sells for £649.99, the retired Grand Carousel set 10196 has sold for £1600 and a single Mr Gold minifigure sold for £1500.

Looking at those figures £190 is practically pocket change ;)

1099 Sat 11-Nov-17 11:15:27

Do you know the number, all Lego sets have one, if you google the number you can often hunt around and find the cheapest online, (Sainsburys often do a half price toy sale around this time of year).

1099 Sat 11-Nov-17 11:20:22

Sorry didn't spot the number in the link earlier, assuming it is 71006, ebay has some new and second hand, new one for £141.50.

SistersOfPercy Sat 11-Nov-17 11:37:37

On the small off chance you know someone who works for Merlin entertainment (legoland, Alton Towers, Tussauds etc) they get a staff discount at Lego.

Tesco points maybe?

I saw the Kwik E Mart in our Toys R Us the other week at £89.99. I was so excited, got to the till and it scanned at £189. Supervisor went and got the shelf ticket and the '1' had rubbed off when they had been moving shelf labels. I was gutted.

ijustwannadance Sat 11-Nov-17 11:44:07

1099, larger, exclusive lego sets like this are only available from certain retailers.
Lego themselves, John Lewis and Smyths.

Normal sets like friends, cheaper star wars, city are available eveywhere and are often reduced to make space as new sets are brought out every 6 months.

I'm still surprised they haven't retired the Simpsons house. It's been out for years.

ijustwannadance Sat 11-Nov-17 12:05:46

Kwik E Mart is currently £20 off on smyths

Olive122 Sat 11-Nov-17 12:19:30

The Lego catalogue which is available to pick up in store, or can be ordered online, has a unique £10 off code (I think it has a minimum £60 spend). Not much of a discount but still.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now