Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breast Milk Leakage

(23 Posts)
LloydColeandtheCoconuts Sat 11-Nov-17 08:26:21

Posting here for traffic...

Am still ebf 13week old DD and co sleep/feed at night and I always end up with a sodden pyjama top. I wear a maternity bra with multiple pads but they never stay in place. Does anyone have any tips please?
Thanks

sourpatchkid Sat 11-Nov-17 08:28:40

I’m sorry I don’t but i know I was soaked at 13 weeks, it seemed to settle down and I can sleep bra less with BF co-sleeper 11 month old now

WhatwouldAryado Sat 11-Nov-17 08:29:31

What pads do you use? I found the reusable ones quite good. They are bulkier but at night that shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes nursing bras are quite a slippery finish too. Have you got cotton or synthetic ones. Final thought. Are the bras a bit too big?

Pickleshickles Sat 11-Nov-17 08:29:58

Cloth pads! A million times more absorbent and much larger (but much thinner). I suggest the little lamb ones.

AssumethePerpendicular Sat 11-Nov-17 08:32:12

14 weeks here. I found reusable ones still soaked through and becaus aren’t sticky would fall out! Lansinoh are the best I’ve found. Hoping to change to reusable as soon as possible when things settle down.

eurochick Sat 11-Nov-17 08:36:44

Lansinoh were the best I found. I never stopped leaking until a week or so after I stopped expressing.

LloydColeandtheCoconuts Sat 11-Nov-17 08:42:12

Have used all the different brands but mainly shop brand as they’re cheaper. Lansinoh I find a bit pricey but willing to try if it means a comfortable night’s sleep. I didn’t know reusable pads was a thing. That’s certainly an affordable alternative.
Glad to hear that it will get better sour
Thanks All

disneyprincess87 Sat 11-Nov-17 08:49:11

Giving lansinoh another vote, more expensive but I never woke up wet when I had them in. I bought mine online to get a cheaper prize as I could buy in bulk.

disneyprincess87 Sat 11-Nov-17 08:49:27

*price!

JaneBanks Sat 11-Nov-17 08:53:36

In the beginning I slept in a tight fitting stretchy vest with a muslin folded in half under the vest covering my boobs (vest held it in place). Changed the muslin every feed.

QueenArseClangers Sat 11-Nov-17 08:53:52

I've always put a fleece blanket on the bed under my top half and baby.
Obviously following safe co-sleeping guidelines this was great for catching leaks and baby puke.
Totally second cloth pads too.

Spam88 Sat 11-Nov-17 08:57:31

Definitely give lansinoh a go, they’re the only ones that I found actually absorbed the milk and kept it away from your skin rather than everything just being all damp and uncomfortable. I really didn’t rate the reusable ones (and they’re more likely to move).

MrsMonkeyBear Sat 11-Nov-17 08:57:44

I'm 2 weeks into bf dd2 and so far lanisoh disposables and a bamboo reusable at the same time are the only thing keeping me dry. I'm also having to tuck a muslin into my bra/top whilst feeding as I have a dribbler.

milkjetmum Sat 11-Nov-17 09:06:01

Are you leaking from one side while feeding from the other? Or just leaking generally? If the former, get some breast shells. I used to collect easily an ounce from the other side each feed (and stored for later mixed feeding!). You may be able to tell from my username that oversupply was an issue for me!

The other thing I would ask is if your child has a tongue tie or any feeding issues? DD1 had tongue tie (but I didn't notice because I could basically spray milk at her so she gained weight fine). But with hindsight her ineffective feeding probably fed into more oversupply and became vicous cycle.

Beware breast thrush - I blamed reusable pads for this, and so my favourite were the tescos own disposables, got through a mountain of these but important to change every feed/regularly.

jellyandsoup Sat 11-Nov-17 09:07:59

But different but Lily padz worked well for me (well untill I left one in a cafe😶). They are silicon pads that create a seal rather than absorbing anything.

Weareboatsremember Sat 11-Nov-17 09:15:02

I found the thin boots ones to be the best. Also wore a sports bra style feeding bra in bed, and a tight vest top over that. Still often woke up sodden and had to get changed, but happened less than when I'd been using other pads

Note3 Sat 11-Nov-17 09:17:52

3 children here and massive oversupply with all 3. Coslept with 2 who fed all through night so I feel your pain with milk leakage!

I put:
- terry towelling waterproof sheet on mattress.
- Then a disposable bed mat under where my boobs would be at night.
- Then bed sheet over
- Then stretched a big towel across where boobs would be and LOs head would be. I'd tuck one half under mattress to secure then at night I'd obviously lay on other half. (But I like fleece blanket idea from above for this)
The above made it so much easier for changing bed when baby yacked and for absorbing spilt milk as depending on severity of any spillage meant I only had to change a top layer and not worry about mattress.

Breast pad wise I've tried many. A good budget one is boots own brand which cost about £2.79 for 36. They are individually wrapped (which I don't like for environmental reasons) but they have a sticky piece to secure and they're absorbant but not too massive under clothes. I wear a cheap peacocks crop top bra under pj top at night and just lift it up when LO feeds.

Lansinoh are great pads but they are pricey so if you need them just stick to them at night and use something like boots during day?

primarnoodle Sat 11-Nov-17 09:24:03

The bamboo reusables from john lewis (about £11 for 6 pairs iirc) were excellent and a great investment because i leaked until about 12 months in! You need to wash them a couple of times first then the absorbancy is fab!

MaidenMotherCrone Sat 11-Nov-17 09:31:03

I used breast shells. It was a very long time ago though so they may not be available now. My eldest is 23 and I had plastic ones, my sister (whose children were slightly older)
had glass onesshock.
They did a great job at night though, no sticky mess.

LloydColeandtheCoconuts Sat 11-Nov-17 09:53:26

I’m really grateful for your replies and practical tips to combat leakage.
Yes, it happens when on one side when DD drinks from other. I never heard of breast shells either. I shall do my research.
Thanks All

Highpeak Sat 11-Nov-17 09:59:51

I have bamboo reusable ones I got from amazon. They are much bigger than the disposable ones so stay in place better

TooMinty Sat 11-Nov-17 21:51:24

Entire muslin stuffed into the bra cup of the opposite side from the one I was feeding from. Lots of fresh pairs of pjs. Low standards on sleeping in slightly damp ones!

Chipsahoy Sun 12-Nov-17 08:47:13

I used to sleep shirtless on a towel, but my last baby was in April and next is may, so could be a bit chilly.
The leaking does settle though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now