Talk

Advanced search

To not let him go?

(63 Posts)
Takamine Sat 11-Nov-17 08:05:52

DS has been invited to a cinema party next week - to see a film that we have arranged with family to go and see in the Christmas holidays. He's 7. I don't want him to go as I feel it will take the shine off our Christmas treat ....

Would IBU to retract his party acceptance?

thecatsarecrazy Sat 11-Nov-17 08:07:37

If it was my ds i would ask what he would prefer to do.

bruffin Sat 11-Nov-17 08:10:11

Will it still be on ìn the christmas holidays if its out next week.

Sparklingbrook Sat 11-Nov-17 08:10:13

I would let him go, he won't mind seeing it again will he? What's the film?

Caulk Sat 11-Nov-17 08:10:16

IME children have little issue with going to the cinema twice!

QuiteLikely5 Sat 11-Nov-17 08:10:19

I’d just let him go twice

Takamine Sat 11-Nov-17 08:10:52

He wants to do both...

This year this is our only Christmas treat as we are skint. We'll be using free cinema tickets and we've planned it with Grandparents to make it more special. Previous years we've gone away for a festive weekend, done panto, ice skating etc... but it's just not do able this year.

Nottheduchessofcambridge Sat 11-Nov-17 08:11:41

Let him go twice, my DC wouldn’t care about seeing the same film twice but they would care about missing out on a cinema party with friends. Is it Paddington 2?

Takamine Sat 11-Nov-17 08:12:01

Also - he's the kid that will chatter all the way through ... "watch this bit! This is where...." etc 😬

Allthewaves Sat 11-Nov-17 08:13:31

You need to let him go. It's mean to stop him going to the party.

MrsExpo Sat 11-Nov-17 08:13:46

Let him go. Once with his friends and then the family thing later on: don’t see a problem really.

Dobopdidoo1 Sat 11-Nov-17 08:14:01

I think it’s mean not to let him go with his friends.

But it’s your call.

bruffin Sat 11-Nov-17 08:18:23

Again, are you sure the film will be on in christmas holidays ?

Takamine Sat 11-Nov-17 08:19:00

I'm fairly sure it will be, it's Paddington

Takamine Sat 11-Nov-17 08:20:27

Ii guess I just feel like it will take the shine off a little. It won't be quite as special when he sees it with us - and it's already a struggle making this Christmas as special as previous

PandorasXbox Sat 11-Nov-17 08:29:18

Just let him go to the party.

EmilyChambers79 Sat 11-Nov-17 08:29:38

Which cinema chain are you using? Keep an eye on Odeon cinemas and Empire. They usually show old family Christmas films in December. We've seen Home Alone, Jingle all the Way etc. They also show Christmas films during the kids club showings on Saturday mornings.

Odeon haven't released the Christmas film yet and I think Empire are showing Elf.

I'm not sure Paddington will still be showing but there is the Olaf's Frozen Adventure coming out so there might be other films you can see instead.

LoverOfCake Sat 11-Nov-17 08:32:24

Paddington won't still be showing by the Christmas holidays.

bruffin Sat 11-Nov-17 08:33:50

Star wars is going to dominate over christmas as all the cinemas that have it have to agree to 4 weeks of showing and certain amount of screens.
I really wouldnt rely on being able to see Paddington

NataliaOsipova Sat 11-Nov-17 08:48:59

I bet Paddington won't be on by Christmas, or, if it is, it'll be as a Kids' Club Sunday morning job. So you'd be able to get very cheap tickets!

Let him go. If all his friends are going they'll be talking about it at school, and that's going to spoil the surprise! Presumably you're going for him....this way, you can go and see something else at Christmas as a family and he gets two fun outings.

LynetteScavo Sat 11-Nov-17 08:49:02

Eh? Let him go to the party then see something else at Christmas. If you don't have much money this is a great way for him to have a nice time with friends, not at your expense.

Is the cost of a present for the birthday child a factor in not wanting him to go?

Moo678 Sat 11-Nov-17 08:50:14

I took my daughter to see Morna for her 7th birthday - she loved it. Six weeks later it was on the £2.50 kids mini morn at odeon - she begged to see it again. We recorded it on sky movies and she's watched it twice. Now it's playing again as part of some film festival and school are taking her - she's super excited again!

I also presented my 7 and 6 yr old with your hypothetical scenario - my 6 yr old is almost in tears at not going to the party! I really think you need to let him go. Parties are so important to kids and I think it's being a bit selfish to prevent him from having this enjoyment in order to make the Xmas treat better for yourself. He will be excited both times.

RunningOutOfCharge Sat 11-Nov-17 08:50:19

Let him go, poor kid!!

It’s now..... xmas is ages away.

RunningOutOfCharge Sat 11-Nov-17 08:50:57

Films come and go quickly, how is Paddington still going to be on at Xmas?

lostincumbria Sat 11-Nov-17 08:58:50

The Last Jedi, Jumanji and Pitch Perfect 3 will dominate screens over Christmas, and Ferdinand has the animation slot. Judging by how long Despicable Me 3 lasted, I can see some cinemas having a few screenings of Paddington 2 - but don't be surprised if it's gone by then. This is a very deliberate release slot, designed to be out with little competition, so a big opening weekend in loads of screens, then a support slot to Justice League before Star Wars runs amok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now