Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to just jack it all in?

(13 Posts)
Ahostofgoldendaffodils Fri 10-Nov-17 19:24:37

I’m a teacher, married with two young children (1yo and 3yo). I hate my job and how it intrudes so much in my life. Yes, the holidays are good but the pressures are extreme.
I want to give it up, but financially this would be difficult. I have spoken to DH and he’s keen for me to do this, but he’s not keen on my solution that would allow us to do it - sell our house and downsize.

I don’t plan on never working again, I would like to get, initially, a part time job that would fit around family life a little better so I can spend more quality time with the dc.
I recently lost a loved one and have realised that there’s more to life than jobs and mortgages; I don’t want to have any regrets.

AIBU about contemplating the idea of selling our family home for something smaller? Should I just suck it up? I would also love I hear from any of you who have made a move like this. Thanks.

Ahostofgoldendaffodils Fri 10-Nov-17 19:25:53

‘to hear’!

MrsC2000 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:28:18

Have you thought about working as a TA rather than a teacher. I have a friend who did this and says it's the best decision she ever made. She is still part of the profession, has the school holidays but less pressure

LemonShark Fri 10-Nov-17 19:28:21

Yeah jack teaching in, by all means. But do it once you have actually got another job to go to. I can understand your husbands reluctance, are you hoping he'll keep his full time job and bring a decent wage in while you jack it in and then while you're job hunting? I can see why he doesn't want to downsize a home you've worked hard for to enable you to make what is quite an irresponsible decision. You're a team, and it's not fair to make such a rash decision as leaving a job without having one lined up (that pays enough) and hope partner will carry you.

FacelikeaBagofHammers Fri 10-Nov-17 19:35:00

Would your school support you in job sharing with another teacher?

topcat2014 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:39:01

Any chance it is just your school, rather than the whole of teaching?

A couple of years back, there was a thread on MN where:

Lawyers wanted to pack it in and teach.
Teachers wanted to be nurses
Nurses wanted to work in shops
etc etc.

Just saying - all jobs have an element of shite that people want to get away from..

Hatemyjob2 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:40:38

I’m similar, except that I teach in a college. I’ve just got a new job in admin with the Council and also have a 2nd interview with another company on Tuesday (in the field I trained in) that I really, really want.
I’m giving up the teaching purely because of he shit work:life balance. Atm it’s all Work:Work and no life.
I’m going full time as mine are all grown up. Just edging youngest ds ever so gently off the edge of the nest. But I want my evenings and weekends back, after 10 years.

Ahostofgoldendaffodils Fri 10-Nov-17 19:48:25

My current school is not good, major behaviour issues, blame culture and stress all round. I used to love teaching but since the dc came along I’ve been feeling so guilty about the fact that I’m not there for them enough.
I know I’m being selfish about this where the house situation is concerned but I can’t help thinking that there’s more to life that the rat race. Maybe it’s because I’ve had such a shit week being told to F off about a dozen times. I don’t think I’d ever have the balls to jack it in though.

deptfordgirl Fri 10-Nov-17 20:27:30

Yes do it. As you say, life is too short to give so much time and effort to something you dont enjoy.

I'm a former teacher. If you don't need to immediately earn a similar amount there are loads of things you can do to earn some money. I mark exams for a few exam boards, have tutored in the evenings at a local tutor centre, sell resources, write exam papers and have taught in different contexts (all of which have been far less stressful than secondary schools) - special schools, post 16, adult.

thenewaveragebear1983 Fri 10-Nov-17 20:30:40

There is a lot of demand for private tutoring sessions in my area, and it's well paid. I am an ex teacher (I taught in the prison service) and I could easily work every night and weekends if I wanted to- I have had parents begging me for tuition. If you factor in the extra hours you work unpaid, plus the cost of childcare, you could perhaps do that instead of full time classroom teaching, and not be too stung financially.

HerOtherHalf Fri 10-Nov-17 20:33:08

If your husband said he was pissed off with work, was going to jack it in for a part-time job and you'd just have to suck up the loss of household income, how would you feel?

27yorkshiregirl Fri 10-Nov-17 20:59:35

I feel your pain. The stress, the pressure on staff and the poor kids!! It's all figures, targets and data.
The education system is a mess. My own DCs are teenagers and I feel like I have missed so much of their younger years because I was so stressed and busy. I can't imagine doing this until retirement.

InspMorse Fri 10-Nov-17 21:06:10

I read the tread title & knew that you would be a teacher OP.
YANBU. If your DH is supportive & you hate it, leave & don't look back.
Depending on your subject, you can do a couple of days supply to tide you over. Also, maybe extend your mortgage term for a year or two to reduce monthly payments.
It will give you time to work out where to go next x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now