Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think this is not the done thing with a cheese twist?

(32 Posts)
HMBB Fri 10-Nov-17 16:45:46

So far this week I have had two arguments in two separate supermarkets - not something I usually do! Is it me or were these people unreasonable?

Today I was waiting in a supermarket to buy a fresh pastry, the type you help yourself to using the tongs provided. There was a woman in front of me who picked up a cheese twist with her bare hand, gave it a good squeeze with her fingers and put it back. I was quite shocked and said to her in a very jokey way 'you can't put it back after you've touched it like that!'

She was not happy, asked what it had to do with me. I said it was really not nice for other people and you shouldn't touch them with bare hands. There were lots of tongs and bags to put them in.

For the next 30 secs or so 10 people watched as she told me I was nosy and she could do what the hell she liked and I told her she was rude. Nobody else said a word.

After she walked off still shouting at me, the lady behind the counter asked me which twist it was and removed it.

It is gross to touch stuff isn't it or AIBU?

The other supermarket drama was a couple of days ago just as my daughter and I were about to pay at the 'scan as you shop' tills we found a children's bunny comforter that had obviously recently been dropped. We looked around and could only see one lady with children who might have dropped it and my daughter ran off to ask her if it was theirs but it wasn't. We were right next to the till and told one of the members of staff there that we had just found it and could they put it in lost property please. She then gave it back to me and said that lost property was over at Customer Services and I should take it over there. I just gave it back and said 'Can't you do it?' She then huffed and puffed at me and walked off all of 8 feet to her other colleague in the self-scan area and started moaning about me and saying I should have taken it and now she would have to do it herself. I called over and said I was only trying to help somebody who had lost a cuddly toy and that i was just a customer trying to pay for my shopping! Her colleague looked very embarrassed. In the car park we saw the lady my little girl spoke to who thanked her for trying to help somebody who would probably be upset at losing their bunny.

WIBU to expect somebody who works in a shop to take lost property? WIBU to think it's not my responsibility?

Apologies I know IABU to write such a long post - it is my first time posting. I am a posting virgin and have probably done it all wrong 😄

TheQueenOfWands Fri 10-Nov-17 16:52:33

You need to practise the hmm face.

Saves a lot of tedious conversations.

PanPanPanPing Fri 10-Nov-17 16:52:57

The cheese twist woman was in the wrong and I don't blame you for complaining about that.

Lost bunny - I wouldn't necessarily expect a member of staff on a checkout to deal with it when I'm perfectly capable of taking it to Customer Services on my way out of the store.

MongerTruffle Fri 10-Nov-17 16:55:37

I wouldn't expect someone who was working on the checkout to take it to customer services when you could do it yourself (as you say, it was only about two metres away). The member of staff was put there to assist people with using the tills.

HMBB Fri 10-Nov-17 17:06:31

It's a funny layout as there are other shops there so more than one exit. We weren't actually walking past customer services to leave the store.

She wasn't sitting at a check out she was standing around doing nothing waiting to help people as was her other colleague also on the same section.

Well so far it seems I am unreasonable!

WhoWants2Know Fri 10-Nov-17 17:10:29

Not unreasonable about the cheese twist! I take a great deal of umbrage at cheese twist related transgressions. The fiend.

TiffanyAtBreakfast Fri 10-Nov-17 17:13:04

No YANBU on both counts. Re: cheese twist - ew. The other passers by probably just couldn't be arsed to get involved.

Re the bunny - As a customer assistant it is clearly her job to assist people. Taking something to lost property should fall under that title imo. She sounded like a grump.

CorbynsBumFlannel Fri 10-Nov-17 17:20:09

Yanbu on the first one. Eww - no need to be fingering the cheese twists!
The second one I would have walked the 8 feet to do the good deed. Only. Excuse it pisses me off immensely when one of my items doesn't register at the scan yourself till and you need help and there's no-one manning it.

CorbynsBumFlannel Fri 10-Nov-17 17:20:33

Only because that should say!

blackteasplease Fri 10-Nov-17 17:22:53

You weren't unreasonable at all on either count

blackteasplease Fri 10-Nov-17 17:23:01

You weren't unreasonable at all on either count

Mxyzptlk Fri 10-Nov-17 17:24:14

There were two people staffing the self scan.

YANBU, OP.

CorbynsBumFlannel Fri 10-Nov-17 17:28:35

Sorry misread. I still would have taken it. 2 people manning the self scan will usually be dealing with 4 people's unrecognised item in the bagging area at any one time.

FlowerPot1234 Fri 10-Nov-17 17:32:27

YANBU on either matter.
First - uncouth individual.
Second - staff member lacking basic customer service attitude.

PumpkinSquash Fri 10-Nov-17 17:34:27

Cheese twist woman, YANBU. I probably wouldn;t have said anything as I'm a wuss but would have been like this hmm. That's gross.
The tills - how hard would it have been for you to walk the two seconds to the other till? The shop woman could have been busy and not necessarily able to come straight off whatever she was doing. I'd have taken it over myself as it was so near.

CigarsofthePharoahs Fri 10-Nov-17 17:36:40

Indeed that is not the done thing with a cheese twist. There should be a special set of tongs available to handle such people.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Fri 10-Nov-17 17:42:22

YANBU about the cheese twist. I don't like it when people don't use the tongs. They could use a bag to pick things up if they don't want to use the tongs. I once saw a woman lovingly watch while her small child picked up and sniffed a whole variety of things in the bakery section hmm

I would've just taken the bunny to the customer service desk myself, to be honest. Well done for trying to reunite it with its owner though smile

AuntyElle Fri 10-Nov-17 17:44:55

This is one of the best thread titles ever. smile

Papergirl1968 Fri 10-Nov-17 17:49:08

This is why I never buy bread, cakes etc that you have to help yourself to. The number of kids (and adults) that poke them, and a friend who works at Tesco told me that customers drop the tongs on the floor and then put them back to be used again. Oh and then there’s the people that cough and sneeze over them...

StaplesCorner Fri 10-Nov-17 17:50:18

I was in Asda once and saw a member of staff drop a french stick on the floor, calmly picked it up put it in the plastic "sleeve" wrapper and put it on the shelf to be sold. The same woman was part of my interview panel for the same store, decided I didn't want to work there.

But as someone who wanted to work in a supermarket, I would consider it my job to take a lost rabbit to customer services no matter how many feet away it was, or what I was doing at the time. Because I am not a truculent 10 year old.

KarmaStar Fri 10-Nov-17 17:58:40

YANBU X2 the woman squeezing the product was disgusting,goodness knows where her hands have been if her hygiene is that lax.she was obviously feeling that attack is the best form of defence!
I often see members of staff chatting and ignoring customers.
Irrespective of whether it was her job,she should have acted far more professionally than she did.
Hope child and toy were reunited.🐻

Rebeccaslicker Fri 10-Nov-17 18:34:29

The cheese twist thing is precisely why I won't buy anything from one of those displays, however tempting they look. You just can't trust people not to be filthy gits sad

Mxyzptlk Fri 10-Nov-17 18:40:10

She was not happy, asked what it had to do with me.

"I don't want the chance of buying a cheese twist with your germs all over it, thanks."

inkandstone Fri 10-Nov-17 18:42:32

I only get things from the bakery in my supermarket if I'm there when they open, before anyone has had chance to maul them. I once saw an old bloke having a good dig around his ear with his finger before picking up a tiger loaf.

Whinesalot Fri 10-Nov-17 18:45:22

not U on either account imo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now