Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The state people leave cafes in is disgusting

(124 Posts)
Bubbinsmakesthree Fri 10-Nov-17 15:34:55

I'm not exactly the 'I take my own mop and bucket everywhere' type but short of some dire emergency requiring a quick getaway I couldn't walk out of a cafe leaving it in this state. Surely it is done thing to make at least a token effort to clean and clear up after yourself?

greendale17 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:37:43

Disgusting. I would never ever leave that table in that state

SloeSloeQuickQuickGin Fri 10-Nov-17 15:39:13

They may have asked for cleaning implements and been refused (usually on the old H&S grounds).

Stiddleficks Fri 10-Nov-17 15:41:38

That is disgusting, nothing there that couldn’t have been picked up by hand either!

Sirzy Fri 10-Nov-17 15:43:49

You don’t need cleaning implements to pick up big bits from the floor, put the rubbish into a bin or at least into the bag - ie make a little bit of effort!

Bubbinsmakesthree Fri 10-Nov-17 15:44:42

It doesn't take any special cleaning materials to scoop the half chewed banana and biscuits up in a paper napkin and dump your rubbish in the bin (pile of paper napkins and bin both about 6ft from the table).

Silverthorn Fri 10-Nov-17 15:45:27

It's not that bad. Get a grip. I personally usually try to wipe up with napkins after a rare toddler lunch but not always possible apnd the staff usully say to leave it.

LostInShoebiz Fri 10-Nov-17 15:46:49

Not that bad? Silverthorn would you sit there?

Pennypickle Fri 10-Nov-17 15:49:44

I agree OP. Makes one wonder what dumpster some people live in

confused123456 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:01:08

I agree. I hate it when people don't make the slightest effort to clean up after themselves.
We always tidy up and put our rubbish on the plate, or if it's a takeaway type place, we always put it in the bin. (Though we've had thank you's from staff for doing so, they clearly expect people will just leave it.
Also in the cinema when people leave their rubbish. We take ours and put it in the bin on the way out (the last time we went a staff member was genuinely shocked that we took our rubbish and put it in the bin).

PurpleMinionMummy Fri 10-Nov-17 16:01:24

Yanbu. We would pick any larger bits off the floor and put all the rubbish together in the bag/on a tray so the area just needed a wipe.

Ttbb Fri 10-Nov-17 16:06:48

How do you know that they didn't dash off in a toddler tantrum emergency?

Auspiciouspanda Fri 10-Nov-17 16:08:00

I used to work in McDonald's and the parents were the worst for this.

cathyclown Fri 10-Nov-17 16:09:32

These people are ENTITLED to do this, they are after all paying for the privilege of eating in a coffee shop with their children, who heaven knows always make a mess, as kids do. So shoo, away with you, they will do what they like and let someone else clean up after them.

That's it in a nutshell really.

PumpkinPicking841 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:09:45

Absolutely disgusting.

Put the rubbish in the bin/tidy it into a pile if there's no bin for customers. And put the food into a napkin.

PumpkinPicking841 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:10:24

I can't believe that people actually try and justify this.

cathyclown Fri 10-Nov-17 16:11:31

Pumpkin,

If you are referring to my post, it was VERY tongue in cheek, but possibly with a ring of truth to it just the same!

morningconstitutional2017 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:13:40

Yes it's ghastly. I used to work in a pub/restaurant as a cleaner. Some people leave an awful mess and others try to at least make it look 'respectable' - most of us are somewhere in the middle.

Trafalgarxxx Fri 10-Nov-17 16:15:27

Looking at iund at how people leave the table in a cafe, I would say that few people would agree this was in a disgusting state tbh.
And I’m talking about our ‘posh’ cafes araround here.
Leftovers from a toddler meal would be left on the table if there is no bin around to put them in

Iris65 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:21:53

I had just this conversation with a member of staff in a coffee shop yesterday. I think it is disrespectful to the staff to leave such a mess. A few crumbs, the wrappers, a small spill, of course, but a full on mess? Not right.

CryingShame Fri 10-Nov-17 16:22:11

I remember being in a Sainsbury's cafe with toddler DS and kneeling under the table to collect the chunks of fish finger, random peas etc. that had dropped. The waitress stopped me and told me it was her job.

i'd agree that wiping the table was her job, and posssibly collecting cups / plates but if your DC has left anything larger than odd drips etc. around, I feel it's the parent who should get it back to a state comparable with a non-DC table, iyswim. Put the random dropped food on a plate / saucer and give the high chair a wipe around with a baby wipe so it's easier for staff to get it ready for the next family to use.

Catwithglasses Fri 10-Nov-17 16:24:01

I think it's courteous to make an effort: Pick up anything obvious on floor, wipe obvious mess off baby seat and at least condense all the junk into one pile. At least then it's easier for a staff member to pick up in one go.

formerbabe Fri 10-Nov-17 16:25:50

That's appalling. When my DC were small, I'd always pick up whatever they dropped on the floor and wet wiped the worst of any mess on the table.

outedmyselfagain Fri 10-Nov-17 16:26:52

I’ve had people laugh at me and I’ve had people ask me to stop when I’m crawling around clearing up after my twins when they were weaning.

It’s a short period in a child’s life and the expectations of different cafes is so diverse that it’s not possible to do right for doing wrong.

I used to collect the waste in a biodegradable nappy bag and I’ve had a waitress take exception to my leaving a nappy bag (only full of discarded food, paper napkins and wipes used for their hands/faces) with the plates on the table to the extent that I’m sure she would prefer id just left the half chewed dairylea sandwich instead!

Iloveacurry Fri 10-Nov-17 16:27:04

Pure laziness!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now