Talk

Advanced search

To think universal credit has been designed in order to sanction people

(40 Posts)
Ireallyhateuc Fri 10-Nov-17 14:20:27

Appointment changed without my knowledge, letter arrives after the appointment is due. Get an unexpected text to say I missed an appointment.

Why don't they text you when an appointment has been changed? Or on the day of an appointment? They are very good at sending messages when you are in the wrong and claw back money.

That's now a sanction of 15 days, thanks sad

LaurieFairyCake Fri 10-Nov-17 14:24:53

Can you appeal it ? It’s not your fault if the letter didn’t arrive

Firesuit Fri 10-Nov-17 14:29:08

How do you prove a letter didn't arrive?

ElsaMars Fri 10-Nov-17 14:30:16

Use your online account (if you have one yet) to challenge it.

ChelleDawg2020 Fri 10-Nov-17 14:30:27

You probably can appeal but that doesn't mean it will succeed. "The letter got lost in the post" is one of the oldest excuses in the book. It's not fair on the innocent person but that's the way it goes.

It's double standards time of course, because if you had written a letter to them that wasn't received, that would be your fault too.

DJBaggySmalls Fri 10-Nov-17 14:32:23

YANBU, and you can appeal;
www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/sanctions/if-youve-been-sanctioned/

Katanna Fri 10-Nov-17 14:33:40

Yanbu sad
Please appeal.

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 10-Nov-17 14:37:26

You can't prove that the letter didn't arrive but they can't prove that it did unless they used recorded delivery.

The NHS have famously for years informed people that their appointment was yesterday and then they wonder why people don't turn up to appointments.

Totally ridiculous to be communicating by letter when they have demonstrated they can do it perfectly well by text. They'd save a fortune on postage and stationery too. Definitely appeal.

rollingonariver Fri 10-Nov-17 14:49:28

That’s awful! They could have text or emailed you to let you know. I hope you’re going to be okay op!

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 10-Nov-17 14:50:58

Appeal. Everything, every time. They are relying on people being defeated.

KathArtic Fri 10-Nov-17 14:53:24

The NHS have famously for years informed people that their appointment was yesterday and then they wonder why people don't turn up to appointments.

I’ve been under the NHS for years and never has this happen.

Ireallyhateuc Fri 10-Nov-17 14:58:48

I'm appealing, but from experience don't expect it to get very far.

Are they on commission for the amount of sanctions they do?

listsandbudgets Fri 10-Nov-17 14:59:06

Appeal - is there a date or postmark on the letter?

We had to take DS to a speech therapy appointment a couple of years ago. We turned up to be informed the appointment had been cancelled -and got home to find the letter informing us of this fact on the doorstep and postmarked the day before - since the appointment was at 8.45am that wasn't leaving much time!

Basecamp21 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:00:55

My daughter was in the job centre when the guy in front was being sanctioned for not attending an appointment. The letter he recieved and had in his hand informing of it was dated 2 days after the date of the appointment. It made no difference and when he got angry through frustration - but made no threats - security was called to remove him.

She saw him in town a couple of weeks later he had appealed his sanction and lost. Apparently Not knowing about an appointment is not justification for not attending. It is the claimants responsibility to find out what is expected of them. The letters sent from the job centre are merely done out of courtesy you have no right to be informed.

You could not make it up!!!

christmaspudding1 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:15:11

i dont know if its done on purpose but i think the system just is not working as it is with huge problems not fixed and the Goverment are hell bent on its roll out even though it is clearly not working rather than stopping and soughting out these problems

it seems they are marching on regardless,if something didnt work as it should the production would be stopped sadly they are just carrying on

not much use to you i know but appeal,im sorry you are having to deal with this

i cant imagine when alot are on the live system next year waht is going to happen,the torys just wont admit its one huge mess

gamerchick Fri 10-Nov-17 15:17:02

So basically you’ll need to ring them every morning to check whether you have an appointment or not. Seems the only way to make sure.

Katanna Fri 10-Nov-17 15:18:53

The whole thing is a shambles angry

christmaspudding1 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:19:54

also i have just attended my WCA for ESA and they did text and phone and sent a letter before i was due to attend ,i couldnt get rid of them

so clearly they could and should text you,why do it foe one benefit and not another

hope you manage to appeal

Ktown Fri 10-Nov-17 15:20:53

why are they using letters. surely email is safer for everyone. this isn't the 19th century.

i know some people dont have computers nor smart phones but they can should provide it as an option.

MephistophelesApprentice Fri 10-Nov-17 15:22:36

It is designed to generate sanctions, because those currently sanctioned will not be included in the claimant statistics. The more people sanctioned at the point a statistical analysis is carried out, the better the government looks.

hamburgers Fri 10-Nov-17 15:22:42

I’m so sorry OP sad Do you have enough money to see you through a 15 day sanction?

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 10-Nov-17 15:29:37

And write to your MP. It has to be as uncomfortable as possible for them. As much work as it can be.

expatinscotland Fri 10-Nov-17 15:30:12

UC is made to punish people for being poor. It's ideologically driven by the Tory belief that people who are poor are so due to personal and moral failing.

FML2017 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:43:38

How ridiculous, I am very worried about going over to UC when the time comes for me, I work part time but every penny from my income and benefits is accounted for and a sanction for something that I haven't even done would really affect my ability to survive.

EB123 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:46:40

The whole system is awful. What on earth are they going to do with all the people quo become homeless due to sanctions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now