Advanced search

To not want another gas cooker

(11 Posts)
Dancingfairy Fri 10-Nov-17 12:23:38

Basically my cooker broke and I bought a new one anyway when they came to fit it they said I didn't have the electric box needed to fit it so wasn't able to. (The current one is gas) anyway they took it away and I just continued using the one I had as it does work but is broke (long to explain) anyway I've now saved up the money to buy another one again but don't want a gas one this time. Really want dual fuel but will that also need the electric thing to connect it that they said I didn't have?? Tried asking argos this who had no idea and tried asking the council if they could fix one in (said no) so does anyone have any ideas? As I said really don't want a gas one again. (Sorry for posting this here literally don't know where else to ask)

ByeGermsByeWorries Fri 10-Nov-17 12:26:58

I think they mean the cooker socket from a spare slot on your fuse box to your kitchen as a cooker is can be a heavy electrical load depending on the type.

I have a dual fuel range cooker I bought without realising I didn’t have a cooker switch installed in the kitchen, but I loved the cooker.

I ended up hiring an electrician to run the cabling and fit the switch and install the cooker which cost £270

Dancingfairy Fri 10-Nov-17 12:28:51

Argh might just have to have gas again just really didn't want another gas oven sad

SpitefulMidLifeAnimal Fri 10-Nov-17 13:02:14

I think (but am in no way certain) that a cooker with a 13 amp oven supply can simply be plugged in. It would need a Google, actually it would need sound advice from someone in the know, but it might be a possibility?

Kokapetl Fri 10-Nov-17 13:20:12

You can get some small ones that will plug into a normal socket but even then they should really be on their own circuit to avoid overloading the general kitchen one. We got an electrician in to install the right thing once we realised, luckily before he'd finished rewiring the house so it didn't cost much extra.

Would the council allow you to have this done if you paid for it? Our (private) landlord in our old house was fine with us getting new pipes to move a washing machine to a cupboard.

goodnessidontknow Fri 10-Nov-17 13:25:42

If you get a separate oven and hob the oven can usually plug in to a 13amp socket. Then have a gas hob, sorted!

Dancingfairy Fri 10-Nov-17 13:28:03

Probably if I done it myself yeh but I saved up for this new cooker so will have to continue saving whilst having a broke cooker iyswim so wouldn't be worth going another 2/3 months. Think il just have no choice but to get gas again. Thanks for the comments.

Dancingfairy Fri 10-Nov-17 13:28:43

Would rather just buy a new gas one but thanks anyway.

roses2 Fri 10-Nov-17 13:32:44

You need an electrical isolation switch for the new cooker, it’s part of the latest building regs.

NannyR Fri 10-Nov-17 13:39:55

I bought a normal size Neff oven that plugs into an ordinary socket, but when I was looking at which oven to buy I noticed that there were some ovens that needed to be wired in as well.

Dancingfairy Fri 10-Nov-17 13:52:06

Called Currys (even though not gonna buy it from there) and they said yes I would need an electrician which I don't really think is worth it (installation cost enough as it is) so gas it stays then!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: