Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think that girls shouldn't be missing school because their families can't afford sanitary products?

(143 Posts)
MummyMummyMummyyyy Fri 10-Nov-17 10:41:08

.... and to think that mumsnetters could really make a difference to the numbers behind this petition?

https://www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp-free-sanitary-products-for-girls-on-free-school-meals-freeperiods?recruiter=61821224&utmsource=sharee_petition&utmmedium=copylink&utmm_campaign=sharepetition&utmm_term=share_petition

Like being a teenager isn't hard enough without worrying about things like this.

user1485166754 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:43:19

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/scotland-first-country-free-sanitary-products-tampon-tax-low-income-women-aberdeen-a7836441.html%3famp

Perhaps the rest of the uk should take note

pinkdonkey Fri 10-Nov-17 10:48:07

Signed, it's disgusting that this is happening anywhere but especially in a first world country. Our local food bank also asks for sanitary products, which is something I didn't realise for a while, now I always put a pack in whenever I buy myself one.

2018babyonboard Fri 10-Nov-17 10:48:46

Signed and bumping.

It’s awful, someone I went to sixth form with was desperately poor and used to turn them inside out, she was walking at break once and it slid off out of her trouser leg and onto the ground. She told the person she was walking with who told everyone and the whole school knew and laughed at her. She never came back to school to finish her a-levels. Her education was down the drain because she couldn’t afford suitable SanPro and this is not acceptable!

Something needs to change - please sign!

DayManChampionOfTheSun Fri 10-Nov-17 10:54:07

Signed and shared - thank you OP!

MummyMummyMummyyyy Fri 10-Nov-17 11:20:44

Great, thanks all for signing. It'd be great if you'd share it on Facebook or wherever. I just think this is so important.

newestbridearound Fri 10-Nov-17 11:24:54

Signed. I will share on Facebook as well. Should not be happening in this day and age, just awful.

Rebeccaslicker Fri 10-Nov-17 11:26:15

Agree this is awful. I also donate them regularly to the food bank basket at our local supermarket sad

DearMrDilkington Fri 10-Nov-17 11:32:59

Signed. I completely agree with it, it's a disgrace that this is still an issue in the UK.

lils888 Fri 10-Nov-17 11:46:24

I didn’t come from a particularly poor family, we would never of needed to use a food bank for example, however my mum had many problems and my dad refused to deal with women’s products. When I did have access to them they weren’t allowed to be on show in the bathroom.

Without a mum around and a father refusing to deal with the situation I often pretended I’d forgotten them and asked a friend for a pad then wore it for days at a time, just using tissue on top.

They should be available in schools and clinics

FranKubelik Fri 10-Nov-17 12:02:44

Signed - it's a really important issue and there seems to be momentum gathering so I'm optimistic that this could happen. Thanks for highlighting OP.

HighwayDragon1 Fri 10-Nov-17 12:09:53

Many teachers have a supply in their classrooms. It's always the same girls "forgetting" them, I buy the cheapy 50p packs and give a couple at a time, costs me barely anything but helps our girls so much.

It's not just PP girls, there are a lot in the squeezed middle that can't afford them. Some who's parents dgaf. It's sad all round.

VileyRose Fri 10-Nov-17 12:11:48

Signed

DearMrDilkington Fri 10-Nov-17 12:37:11

Dragon that's a really kind thing to do, you sound like a wonderful teacher.

whatkatydidnext1 Fri 10-Nov-17 12:56:00

Signed.

SloeSloeQuickQuickGin Fri 10-Nov-17 13:20:55

The school office has them. They are donated by sanpro companies. Unfortuantley you cant give out the tampons (TSS), I used to arrange for a refuge to pick those up.

GhostsToMonsoon Fri 10-Nov-17 13:26:43

Signed.

TollgateDebs Fri 10-Nov-17 13:50:37

Signed and shared.

MummyMummyMummyyyy Fri 10-Nov-17 20:38:05

Shamelessly bumping this post for the evening crowd 👋🏼

bottlesandcans Fri 10-Nov-17 20:40:30

Signed

LoveProsecco Fri 10-Nov-17 20:55:55

Signed.

This makes me want to cry. So sad

MyHandsAreHighMyFeetAreLow Fri 10-Nov-17 20:57:00

Signed and shared.

Nquartz Fri 10-Nov-17 20:58:35

Signed.
I always include them in food bank donations too.

Iwanttobe8stoneagain Fri 10-Nov-17 21:00:09

Never used them but wonder if reusable moo cups could be the answer, provided free like the pill for those in need

Fekko Fri 10-Nov-17 21:01:07

In this country, in this day and age??

I knew it was a problem in some countries, and pop them into charity collections (with nappies and loo roll) but dear god, I'm shocked and disgusted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now