Talk

Advanced search

To ask how much your family dental plan costs?

(14 Posts)
NotAnotherUserName5 Fri 10-Nov-17 10:15:09

I've recently moved. Can't get an NHS dentist anywhere, or even on a waiting list for my children! sad

For those who have private family dental plans, how much are you paying?
I'm wanting a rough idea before I call around. I'm guessing it'll be expensive for 3 kids and 2 adults?

WhataLovelyPear Fri 10-Nov-17 21:22:51

I pay around £12 a month just for myself. That covers 2 check ups and 2 scale and polishes per year plus I get 20% off any other work required. I never pay for the kids though - they always get me to sign the NHS forms for them. I've never asked why but maybe they are not allowed to charge for children?

CherryChasingDotMuncher Fri 10-Nov-17 21:25:03

Exactly the same as whata

Roomster101 Fri 10-Nov-17 21:30:47

I pay as I go but I think that the dental plan is around £12. It sounds as if it is the same the one by Whata. Children under 10 are free with a fee paying adult though. I pay as I go as it is slightly cheaper for me as so far I've never had any other treatment.

Justgivemesomepeace Fri 10-Nov-17 21:33:55

Check if the dentist will take the kids on the nhs if you join as a private patient. That's what I did. My private plan is through work and is £9 a month. Can't quite figure out what I'm covered for though confused

MagicTapeDispenser Fri 10-Nov-17 21:59:39

£14 per month each for myself and DH. My teenage DD is treated under my plan until she reaches 18 or leaves full time education.

MagicTapeDispenser Fri 10-Nov-17 22:02:10

I should add that’s for six monthly dental check ups and six monthly hygienist visits, plus 10% off the costs of any dental work (haven’t needed any since registering in 2012), free antibiotics if required and emergency consultations out of hours.

FlouncyDoves Fri 10-Nov-17 22:08:09

£12 a month?! Bloody hell!

Try to get with an NHS Dentist - only £20 for a check up once a year.

CatsMother66 Fri 10-Nov-17 22:08:47

I pay £13 a month for two check ups and four clean and polish appointments a year. I don’t pay for my son. They told me there was funding/ provision for children, not sure what exactly, but they are free.

vj32 Fri 10-Nov-17 22:16:21

I looked at it as although you can get an NHS dentist here they are all awful. But its soo expensive. £70+ for my 6 year old for a first appointment! Im just hoping we can take really good care of our teeth until I go back to work!

2rebecca Fri 10-Nov-17 22:22:55

0. We have always all used the NHS but are in Scotland

2rebecca Fri 10-Nov-17 22:26:41

My NHS dentist is excellent. In Scotland health boards have an obligation to provide NHS dentists in the same way as they provide NHS GPs. Check ups are free fillings are a small amount. 2 yearly optician checks are also free

peachgreen Fri 10-Nov-17 23:09:02

I pay £13 monthly for Denplan Care - covers 2 check ups, 2 hygienist visits, biannual x-rays and any treatment I need (minus lab fees). The monthly price varies depending on the condition of your teeth. Most years I don’t use any of it behind my usual check ups / cleans but I cracked a tooth once and it was a godsend as it was fixed completely for free.

Roomster101 Sat 11-Nov-17 10:23:56

Try to get with an NHS Dentist - only £20 for a check up once a year.

You don't have to use a dental plan. I pay £35 for a check up so not much more and they spend more time on it (NHS dentists are always rushed) You will have to pay for the hygienist separately anyway whether the dentist is NHS or private.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now