Talk

Advanced search

To think that bar soap is perfectly acceptable?

(104 Posts)
HannahHut Fri 10-Nov-17 09:31:11

I only use Dove bar soap. Shower gels tend to bring me out in a rash (sensitive skin) and this is the only thing I've managed to find that does. Also the Dove shower gel is expensive.

I had a friend stay over last night and when she went to get a shower I gave her a new bar in a box and she asked if I had any shower gel. When I told her no she said I was rude for not picking some up because I knew she was coming and not everyone likes to use bar soap.

AIBU to think it was perfectly fine or should I have got shower gel in? I'm panicking a little now as I have another friend coming to stay in a few weeks.

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Fri 10-Nov-17 09:33:04

It was a brand new bar, she was the rude one! Nothing wrong with bar soap. I’ve just started using it and i find it much better than gel.

Karmin Fri 10-Nov-17 09:33:12

That is ridiculous and self entitled CF level

She is staying in your house, why on earth has she not brought her own toiletries if she is so particular?!

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 10-Nov-17 09:33:22

Personally I would expect, as a guest, to bring my own shower gel if I wanted to be sure I could use the product, but then I am allergic to Dove in all its forms anyway. I think it's a bit cheeky to reject the soap you offered if she hadn't thought to bring her own - you're not a hotel!

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 10-Nov-17 09:33:28

If I was going to stay with someone, I wouldn't expect them to provide shower gel, I'd bring my own. She was wrong to call you rude

haba Fri 10-Nov-17 09:33:48

Erm... when one stays somewhere, surely one takes ones own toiletries?
I wouldn't like to use that bar after she'd used it though...

gobster Fri 10-Nov-17 09:34:02

Personally I don’t think it’s rude in the slightest

It’s presumptuous of her to think you need to cater for her shower wants when she could just bring hers from home considering she’s obviously aware you don’t like shower gel!

Maverick66 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:34:10

She was rude for not bringing her own shower gel!

NotThereEileen Fri 10-Nov-17 09:37:00

Bar soap is fine. Better for the environment. Why on earth didn't she bring her own toiletries? Cheeky fucker!

WineAndTiramisu Fri 10-Nov-17 09:37:07

She should bring her own if she's that picky!

Appuskidu Fri 10-Nov-17 09:37:10

* When I told her no she said I was rude for not picking some up because I knew she was coming and not everyone likes to use bar soap.*

I find it difficult to believe someone would say that? Does she have form for being really rude?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 10-Nov-17 09:37:21

She is fucking rude.

Bumblebee2302 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:37:37

She said it was "rude"?! What a cheeky mare - I've never, ever gone to stay with a friend and not taken my own toiletries. If she didn't bring any, she gets what she's given - simple as that. Using Dove bar wouldn't bother me - I'd be chuffed at you being so thoughtful as to give me a brand new bar!

maras2 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:38:44

She's the rude one for making such a pissy comment. shock
Nothing wrong with bar soap.
I find shower gel overpriced and sticky.
Our DGC's love the novelty of soap as they've all been brought up using shower gel/dispenser soap/wipes etc.

FreudianSlurp Fri 10-Nov-17 09:39:27

YANBU for not having shower gel for guests. YABU for calling Dove 'soap' though - it's a 'beauty bar', whatever that is

Part of the joy of staying at someone else's house is using their stuff if invited to, but I always take my own soap because I don't feel clean with shower gel.

Margomyhero Fri 10-Nov-17 09:39:53

As all PP have said - she should have brought her own toiletry bag along if it was a pre-planned stay.

Def a CF.

Bar soap all the way here, and has been for years. Better for the skin, environment and wallet.

Dove is my favourite too. Brilliant for taking on holiday with hand luggage only. Body and face sorted in one bar.

HannahHut Fri 10-Nov-17 09:41:05

She's know for being a bit difficult, she's one of those people who says ''I just tell it how it is''. If that makes sense.
She said she forgot to bring some so thought she could use mine. I thought giving her a new bar would be okay as I know some people wouldn't like to use an old one.

GretchenWieners Its so weird you're allergic to Dove and it seems to be the only thing I can use!

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 10-Nov-17 09:44:06

Ah yes, people who "tell it how it is"... aka a rude fucker.

You don't have to put up with it. If she can't be bothered to think of others' feelings you don't have to think about hers.

Tubbyinthehottub Fri 10-Nov-17 09:45:00

She is being really rude but I can’t believe Dove suits you if you have sensitive skin. I’m not particularly sensitive but just thinking about Dove is making me itch!

Abra1d Fri 10-Nov-17 09:45:57

This business about soap is quite weird.

In my experience it keeps you fresher anyway and when you rinse it under the shower any ‘residue’ from anyone else is washed away.

Passthecake30 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:48:33

Wow. We use Dove here, sensitive to everything else. Give her a bottle of washing up liquid next time grin

HerbWoman Fri 10-Nov-17 09:48:57

So it sounds like she intended to bring her own anyway, yet is calling you rude for not buying something you can't use yourself and that she wouldn't have used either if she had remembered her own. I daresay she probably wouldn't have bought bar soap if you were staying with her just in case you had forgotten to bring your own either.

juddyrockingcloggs Fri 10-Nov-17 09:48:59

Wet the soap to aid lubrication and then stick it up her arse the CF.

FizzyWaterAndElderflower Fri 10-Nov-17 09:50:28

How odd! If I'm staying with close friends or family I often don't bother to take toiletries, but I certainly don't then tell them off if they don't have what I like!

Personally Dove gives me horrible skin, so I stick to just plain old normal soap (if I'm living in a soft water area, I even wash my hair with it), but to each their own.

My mum keeps a big jar of toiletries from hotels/gifts/freebies in the bathroom so in case of guests needing something the family wouldn't normally use, which is a good idea I thought.

Appuskidu Fri 10-Nov-17 09:50:42

She is more rude for forgetting to bring her own toiletries and then insulting what you kindly offered her!

Perhaps she should stay in a hotel next time instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now