Talk

Advanced search

When we're they going to let us know that we had no water or access from our house?

(6 Posts)
StepAwayFromCake Fri 10-Nov-17 08:12:08

8am and I hear drilling outside. Look through the window and the water company are digging up our driveway.

Last week we had a notice saying they were going to be installing a water meter on our property and would be digging up the street end of our driveway this week. But how about letting us know when you actually start work?

People are still showering, eating, getting ready for school and work! Dh happened to have moved my car for me as the close was quite crowded this morning (he gets these moments of misplaced gallantry), but would they have knocked on the door had my car still been on the drive, or would I have been trapped?

Annoying behaviour. We don't have a particularly large cold tank, so washing will be scanty this morning.

PanPanPanPing Fri 10-Nov-17 08:28:34

Have they actually cut off your water supply yet? It sounds as though they're just in the preparatory stages. Perhaps go out and ask them!

Natsku Fri 10-Nov-17 08:41:48

Go out and ask them, it's really annoying when they don't give proper notice but when you need to know it's best to ask the workmen directly, they seem to know better than calling the office.

Have been dealing with this all summer and autumn as they are putting new pipes down in my whole road so water has been cut off a couple of times (once we got a note in our postbox, which is outside not in our door, after they had already cut off the water), had a temporary water pipe for weeks which had to go in through a window so have had a window permanently open for weeks! And that temporary pipe froze last week and our water was cut off again (though this time it wasn't really their fault of course so didn't blame them but still very annoying) but they came and sorted it later in the day. Also had our driveway blocked off for 4 days and had to go through a hole in the hedge to get in and out of our garden and keep our car on the road. Finally over now and I can finally stop worrying that the water will cut off in the middle of a washing machine load and the tap water isn't going to suddenly go muddy sigh

StepAwayFromCake Fri 10-Nov-17 11:10:12

Truly a first world problem grin Made worse by the fact that I was fasting for a blood test, so my fuse was well and truly short.

I've got back, all children delivered on time to their various destinations, blood extracted, breakfast eaten, my driveway has been reinstated, all's well with the world.

Commiserations, Natsku, that must have been a complete mare - puts my
minor inconvenience into perspective!

Natsku Fri 10-Nov-17 12:30:50

Ah fasting always makes fuses shorter! Glad all has been resolved.

MadisonAvenue Fri 10-Nov-17 12:37:36

Glad it's all been resolved!

I was getting ready for bed one night, just past Midnight, and I turned the tap on in the bathroom and nothing came out apart from a few drops. Tried other taps throughout the house and there was no water.

I called the water company and was told that they were carrying out scheduled maintenance in the area. They hadn't bothered to inform anyone affected as not many people need water during the night apparently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now