Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask about 'Borrow My Doggy'?

(10 Posts)
CaeDyGeg Fri 10-Nov-17 08:00:02

Sorry posting for traffic!

Has anyone used borrow my doggy at all? What do people actually use it for? Is it like free doggy day care?
Was it a positive experience?

hula008 Fri 10-Nov-17 08:05:07

I didn’t really get round to using it - there is a subscription fee if you want to contact anyone on there

Hoppinggreen Fri 10-Nov-17 08:10:03

There have been quite a few threads about it on here already with some good and bad experiences.
Generally it CAN work well but the owners are quite bad at responding to messages and some are absolute chancers

PurpleStar123 Fri 10-Nov-17 08:13:19

I joined as someone happy to walk dogs and I didn’t get any responses AT ALL. Not even acknowledging my messages.

MessyHouse91 Fri 10-Nov-17 08:50:20

I’ve used it a few times. I’d say most of the messages I get are just taking the piss. People genuinely asking if I’d pop into their house every day while they’re at work and walk their dog - for free! If I had that sort of time I’d have my own dog.

I’ve met two lovely families though - both are happy for me to ring if I’m in the area and want to walk the dog (no regular arrangement, just if we fancy it) and I look after their dogs if they go away and they always bring a bottle of wine to say thanks.

For the subscription (not much more than £10 a year I think) you have access to a 24h vet and I think a level of insurance, which is pretty good value for money for that peace of mind when you’re looking after somebody else’s dog.

Laiste Fri 10-Nov-17 09:13:49

I'm amazed they've found a way to make it work in from a proper business point of view.

I'm thinking of all the things which could go wrong when taking someone else's dog out (on both sides of the arrangement) and the small print for the insurance for that! It must be like War and Peace!

pancakesfortea Fri 10-Nov-17 09:15:52

My DH does this. Takes a lovely border terrier maybe twice a week. All very relaxed.

FiddleWiddiRiddim Fri 10-Nov-17 09:20:46

I'm a dog owner. I would never, ever use this site. My dog is the most precious thing in the world to me. I wouldn't let some random stranger from the internet take her off. Fuck no.

We have a great scheme where I live with Age UK which supports older people to keep their dogs by matching them up with people who can offer things like dog walking, trips to the vets, trips to the groomers, feeding etc. It doesn't have to be a regular thing but it's much better doing it through a legitimate scheme and charity.

tillytown Fri 10-Nov-17 09:25:42

If you want to walk someone's dog, the cinnamon trust are always looking for people www.cinnamon.org.uk/home.php

CaeDyGeg Fri 10-Nov-17 09:29:37

Thanks! I'll take a look!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now