Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that talking of Millennials includes a lot of stereotyping?

(71 Posts)
Snafu1988 Thu 09-Nov-17 23:41:53

I am a millenial by generation, but whenever I read about how technological gadgets and latte machiatto and so on are believed to be the most important things in their life it just makes me scratch my head.

Actually my husband and children come first in my life and I do like latte machiatto and I like it a lot. I drink it everyday. I like it a lot but could totally do without it. As everybody I know could.

To me it always seemed like this came from the older generation seeing us drink a drink unusual in their generation and assuming our life must revolve around it.

Snafu1988 Thu 09-Nov-17 23:42:29

Are you a typical member of your generation?

MaggieMeldrum Thu 09-Nov-17 23:44:24

What age are millennials?

HarrietKettleWasHere Thu 09-Nov-17 23:45:39

According to an elderly relative of DP's, if we didn't indulge in 'fancy coffee', we'd have the deposit for a house together by now 🙄

Yes, forgeoing that mocha as a Friday treat on the way to work at £2.50 a pop would have got us on the property ladder years ago...hmm

But according to him we are millennials, and we don't know t'benefit of saving.

TheAntiBoop Thu 09-Nov-17 23:48:16

It works all ways though - I bet you have some pretty set ideas on baby boomers etc

Pretenditsaplan Thu 09-Nov-17 23:56:36

Depends how long youve been having a £2.50 coffe every friday over a year thats 1,300 per person. Equally if you play the lottery every week like my parents btbthe time theyeve brought individual ones and work pools for the last 20 years taking into accounnt the wednesdat draw starying about 10 years ago theyve spent 15,600 as a guesstimate

Pretenditsaplan Thu 09-Nov-17 23:57:09

Sorry thats 1,300 per person for 10 years

Snafu1988 Thu 09-Nov-17 23:57:20

Millennials are Born between 1980 and 2000.

HidingBehindTheWallpaper Fri 10-Nov-17 00:01:02

Any comment about an entire generation of people will be a sweeping comment and a generalisation.

However the world that young people are living in today is very different to the world of my childhood.

Also, I understand the millennial generation is anyone who will live their entire adult life in the 2000s.

Minnn Fri 10-Nov-17 00:02:05

always seemed like this came from the older generation

Hahaha. What was that you were saying about stereotyping? Maybe you should take a look at your own prejudices.

Pretenditsaplan Fri 10-Nov-17 00:02:11

I apoligise that doesnt include the price increase when it became £2 per go

Snafu1988 Fri 10-Nov-17 00:04:33

Antiboop: my stereotype about babyboomers would be that babyboomers from the „western world“ do a lot of drugs and are into yoga and that they are into movies like koyanniquatse.

HidingBehindTheWallpaper Fri 10-Nov-17 00:07:53

Of course there is this generation in between boomers and millennials that is equally annoyed by both.

Snafu1988 Fri 10-Nov-17 00:09:25

How is that generation called?

Want2bSupermum Fri 10-Nov-17 00:12:04

There is a subset of millennials born before 1982 who are different to other millennials. I've also found that those who grew up with older parents are more like the previous generation.

HidingBehindTheWallpaper Fri 10-Nov-17 00:12:46

We are generation x.

HarrietKettleWasHere Fri 10-Nov-17 00:13:51

Yes, I can tell you that £1,300 wouldn't stretch very far for a deposit where our jobs are, though.

And I imagine certain people will say 'oh well, you won't get far with that attitude!'

Well. We've given up our lovely rented flat in a lovely area to live in a cramped house with a family member in a crappy area. We have both doubled our commuting time. We are saving. Hard. We'd like to get married, get a mortgage and have children. We are 32 and the way things are going, I don't know if we'll be able to do all three in the time frame we've got.

Fucked if someone from a generation who was able to put down a relatively small deposit for a place, not fall into a rental trap that takes over half your salary, and start a family/married life at a younger age if they so choose is going to tell me I could have the same if I don't have a weekly coffee.

BadLad Fri 10-Nov-17 00:22:33

Of course there is this generation in between boomers and millennials that is equally annoyed by both.

That would be me. A few gourmet coffees a week is not enough to save for a deposit, obviously. However, equally obviously, it's a silly thing to waste money on if your financial position is precarious, and there's clearly much more of a "must-have-it-now" attitude than there used to be, and upgrading gadgets long before they are actually broken and unusable.

As with so many things, the truth is somewhere between the two positions, so we in the middle must watch and be irritated or amused by the generations on either side of us bickering.

Ereshkigal Fri 10-Nov-17 00:26:02

Of course there is this generation in between boomers and millennials that is equally annoyed by both

Yes grin

Want2bSupermum Fri 10-Nov-17 00:28:46

It's not just the coffee they are referring to. It's the holidays, new cars, clothes and other spending which is higher than in their day. My grandmother made me write down everything I spent for a week and reviewed it with me at the end of the following week. She did this for 3 months. It's how I learned how to budget and scrimp/save. I've always been that way since and with very average incomes we saved about £60k in 2 years which was enough for a deposit.

SwedishEdith Fri 10-Nov-17 00:31:53

According to an elderly relative of DP's, if we didn't indulge in 'fancy coffee', we'd have the deposit for a house together by now

How old is this "elderly relative"?

HarrietKettleWasHere Fri 10-Nov-17 00:33:56

I knew someone would ask that and I feel awful now as he's actually not at all elderly blush

He's 65. I did think he was older and I've had to check with DP grin

Mind you his wife is 45 and parrots exactly the same.

SwedishEdith Fri 10-Nov-17 00:34:52

With very average incomes we saved about £60k in 2 years which was enough for a deposit.

So, with average incomes being £24-25K, you saved over half? That's quite unusual, I'd think.

HarrietKettleWasHere Fri 10-Nov-17 00:35:38

Maybe you can ask your 'funny uncle', OP?

Strange threads to start concurrently....

BadLad Fri 10-Nov-17 00:56:15

So, with average incomes being £24-25K, you saved over half? That's quite unusual, I'd think.

If their rent was cheap, and commuting costs were very low, I'd say that was doable, especially if interest rates were high enough to make it actually worth having a savings account.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now