Talk

Advanced search

The dog upstairs

(17 Posts)
Maisy313 Thu 09-Nov-17 22:10:10

My neighbours have bought a very young, very energetic puppy, they live above us in a flat and both work long hours. He is crate trained so spends long hours on his own and consequently crashes around and barks for hours on end when they get home. It's so bad we've put our place up for sale, we've asked them to calm him down twice but just hate living under constant thudding and loud bangs and I really feel for the dog. Is there anything I can say to try and improve the situation? They obviously can't keep him still all evening when he's got so much boundless energy and nowhere to vent it but why the fucking fuck would you get a puppy in those circumstances????!!!!!!

Notcontent Thu 09-Nov-17 22:14:52

That sounds terrible.

Many flats have a term in the lease conditions that pets are not allowed. Is there anything like that?

TheCatsMother99 Thu 09-Nov-17 22:16:18

Things like this make me so mad. The poor thing.

In the majority of leases for flats there are covenants restricting keeping pets in properties and more often than not they need permission from the freeholder or management company for the animal. I bet they didn't get this.

Could you speak to your managing agent and see if they can do anything?

Maisy313 Thu 09-Nov-17 22:17:11

Yes pets are not allowed on the leasehold! But really don't want to see their poor dog sent away and no idea how you would go about actually bringing action against it??

Maisy313 Thu 09-Nov-17 22:18:51

We all own so makes things more complicated. They are otherwise seem nice people but this situation is miserably for the poor dog and us! I would happily take him on a long walk for 20 mins peace but don't think the offer would be very well received.

TheCatsMother99 Thu 09-Nov-17 22:22:58

Whether you all own or not doesn't change the covenants in your leases, everyone residing in the flats have to abide by them.

Honestly, I think the dog SHOULD be sent away. It's hardly having a happy life locked in the crate all day and then confined to a flat in the evenings, hardly a suitable home for it.

As for actually bringing action for it, that's down to the freeholder via the managing agents to enforce. You shouldn't have to worry about that.

Notcontent Thu 09-Nov-17 22:24:59

Ok, so they are breaking the lease covenants. I know you probably don't want to create conflict, but this is just not on... Are there other flats in the building? If so, then I imagine the other flat owners might not be overjoyed by someone getting a dog in breach of the lease!!

Maisy313 Thu 09-Nov-17 22:25:18

Maybe you are right. He's a very sweet dog but he's SO unsuited to a small, top floor flat with no garden access. I was convinced they were looking after it for a friend at first as just couldn't believe anyone would be that stupid!!

Maelstrop Thu 09-Nov-17 22:27:17

I'm sorry, I'd report to the leaseholder. That is a fucking awful life for a puppy. He'd get more stimulus and attention in a rescue. Poor little sod.

Maisy313 Thu 09-Nov-17 22:28:18

There's no one above them and just us below them so no one else is really affected. I hate conflict but this is making life shit, we both work hard in the day and then it's none stop racket all evening so literally no time to relax. When they first got him he barked for 9 hours a day (heartbreaking) as he had separation anxiey, and the neighbour opposite sent us an angry letter as thought she was ours!!blush

Notcontent Thu 09-Nov-17 22:30:07

And I can just imagine the smell in their flat if he is being left alone for hours on end...!

TheCatsMother99 Thu 09-Nov-17 22:31:19

The dog owners must know more than one person is annoyed with them then so if they find out soneone has repored them then they wont necesserily know it was you. Just report it to your managing agent, keep a log of noise in case they need it, and let them deal with it.

Itsonkyme Thu 09-Nov-17 22:35:24

Maizy313, why the fucking fuck would you get a puppy in those circumstances?????!!!!!.
I am sooooo with you on this one.
Apart from the noise and annoyance to you. It is the puppy that I feel most sorry for. Poor little thing. When will people realise that If you work long hours, it is cruel to have a dog.
Keeping the pup in a cage all day while they work, is just not on.
So please report them to the freeholder or management company and hopefully the dog will have to be re-homed with people who know how to look after it properly.

esk1mo Thu 09-Nov-17 22:37:06

sound just like my neighbours through the wall!

Maisy313 Thu 09-Nov-17 22:42:37

Well there is a house that runs up the side so maybe you live their @esk1mo! Dreaming of a detached country house at the moment.

Itsonkyme Fri 10-Nov-17 10:12:42

Hi Maisy313 have you managed to complain to the Management Company yet! Let us know the ourptcome!

Itsonkyme Fri 10-Nov-17 10:13:08

Outcome

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: