Talk

Advanced search

Drugs in prison

(42 Posts)
Mrsfloss Thu 09-Nov-17 19:29:14

Am I totally naive?

My brother is serving a longish prison service for fraud. He has admitted to using spice, Valium and drinking in prison. He has been offered crack and heroin.

He absolutely deserves his sentence but I can’t get head around him being smashed when my Mum visits. What the hell? How on earth do they get it?

It’s a different world for me but I just can’t comorehend how all these prisoners can get drugs inside?

pemberleypearl Thu 09-Nov-17 19:30:49

I suppose where there's a will there's a way. Plus drugs are money in prison so that's a big motivator to be creative.

christmaspudding1 Thu 09-Nov-17 19:32:49

its always been a big problem and now spice is taking hold in them at an alarming rate

bought in by relatives,dropped over the fence,have even heard of drones being used

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 09-Nov-17 19:33:01

Drones are a big problem, swallowing or putting up rectum, prison officers bringing drugs in, people are very clever

BarbarianMum Thu 09-Nov-17 19:34:01

All sorts of ways - visitors, prison guards, in deliveries, by drone even. It's big business.

redexpat Thu 09-Nov-17 19:36:13

I used to work in a prison. People would lob stuff over thhe wall, trying to land it in the exercise yard. Sometimes they would go to the trouble of stuffing it in a tennis ball, other times it was just in a plastic bag.

mindutopia Thu 09-Nov-17 19:39:27

It's incredibly easy unfortunately. I'm a researcher and once worked on a study of drug and alcohol use in prison. Some of it they can make themselves (alcohol in particular), others are brought in. Some places it's delivered by drone! It's probably easier than on the outside frankly. Though obviously isn't helping anyone to sort themselves out and get their lives together.

faitch Thu 09-Nov-17 19:41:27

Using this dog ball wangers from outside and lobbing it over the wall is a way. Also dissolving substances, drying it into paper/cloth/whatever and sending it in, so inmate can extract it other side is another way. Distraction techniques during visiting hours...

Like pp said, where there’s a will.

Mrsfloss Thu 09-Nov-17 19:41:52

My mum gets searched within an inch of her life. Cavity searches happen on admission.

Prison guards must be subject to searches going in? Surely the prison guards are in the yard.

It’s a joke

BeBesideTheSea Thu 09-Nov-17 19:50:18

I read your title as “dogs in prison”!

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 09-Nov-17 19:52:07

Try have random searches of staff occasionally but not often. There just wouldn’t be the time and staff to search each person each day.

BarbarianMum Thu 09-Nov-17 19:53:46

Are you really suggesting that all prison staff and visitor care subject to a full cavity search each day? Is your mum up for that? Would you do a job that required that?

catboygeckoandowlett Thu 09-Nov-17 20:02:40

I work in a prison. The biggest problem and barrier to reducing is drugs is lack of resources. If there was more money, there could be more staff, more searches, more cameras, better equipment to detect drugs coming in etc... in my prison there are waaaaaaay too many drugs but no staff, time, resources to stop it sad This leaves prisoners very vulnerable. The government has reduced and reduced funding to a point where prisons are incredibly unsafe and rehabilitation and managing drugs, particularly in remand prisons, is a joke (and not a very funny one at that). People's lives are littlerally lost as a result of the funding crisis in prison. It saddens me everyday that prisoners do not get the help and support they need, cannot get off or avoid drugs, and get no support once they leave prison either sad

A new government NOW ... PLEASE!!!! But funding prisons is not a vote winner sad

Hulder Thu 09-Nov-17 20:06:05

Lobbed over the wall - some prisons, especially older ones are in the centre of town with handy footpaths running past them.
Brought in by visitors, brought in by dodgy guards.

However apparently drones have been the game changer.

kittydetective Thu 09-Nov-17 20:11:31

More drugs inside than out!

RaspberryOverload Thu 09-Nov-17 20:23:55

It's been an issue for a very long time. I recall my uncle being in prison, and my dad being warned by a prison guard not to give uncle money or he'd just spend it on drugs. This was after dad had been asked for money by uncle as uncle said he needed it to buy stuff like soap, etc. This was in 1990. I haven't seen this uncle since before then, but he's apparently clean now he's outside.

FruitCider Thu 09-Nov-17 20:33:38

I’m a prison detox nurse, here’s how drugs get inside:

1) second shelving” or swallowing of packages by prisoners on short term license recall eg they get recalls deliberately to sell drugs in prison
2) Drones
3) stuffing drugs into the carcass of a dead animal eg pigeon and throwing it over the fence to be collected by a red band
4) sausage shaped packages pre lubricated are thrown over the fence on to the netting covering the yard, these are collected and “second shelved”
5) passed in visits
6) Spice is a clear odourless liquid that is sprayed on to children’s drawings which are then posted in. The drawing is ripped up and smoked
7) prisoners spit their meds out and hide it under their foreskin or regurgitate it and sell them
8) corrupt staff

Trying to think of more but that’s the most common routes.

FruitCider Thu 09-Nov-17 20:35:34

* *My mum gets searched within an inch of her life. Cavity searches happen on admission.

Prison guards must be subject to searches going in? Surely the prison guards are in the yard.

No cavity searches do not happen. We get people to squat over a mirror but do not search internally.

Prison officers are searched randomly. Searches do not take place every day.

Yes officers are on the yard but there is 2 of them and up to 100 prisoners, if something comes over they don’t stand a chance.

Mrsfloss Thu 09-Nov-17 20:38:20

Are staff really that corrupt?

Fruit what an eye opener

FruitCider Thu 09-Nov-17 20:39:31

You get corruption in all roles at all levels. Prison officers are the same as everyone else, in fact I would say their pay/working conditions leave them open to corruption!

usualGubbins Thu 09-Nov-17 20:42:48

Many years ago I worked with ex offenders. I lost track of the times I was told 'i didn't have a drug problem until I went inside'. It's not a new thing.

Mumof41987 Thu 09-Nov-17 20:53:39

What does second shelving mean ? Who collects the sausage shaped package from nets ??? I don't understand that at all ?? My mind boggles with all drug related stuff as I don't understand anything about drugs . How do they know to smoke paper with drugs on it ? Who discovers this stuff ? It's terrible that prison officers would bring drugs into the system

FruitCider Thu 09-Nov-17 21:04:20

mum second shelving is just a slag term for inserting a package so far up the rectum it goes past the sphincter and therefore does not poke out when someone squats over a mirror. The prisoners collect the packages from the netting, they pull them through the holes then insert them. They know to smoke the paper as it is communicated to them (usually on an illegal mobile phone) that the drawing will be coming in.

Jack Hill is an ex offender and has his own YouTube channel about his time in prison. his videos are very informative if anyone wants to watch them.

Sunrisesand Thu 09-Nov-17 21:11:01

Corrupt staff
Visitors
The list goes on.
How long has your brother been away op?

Mumof41987 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:13:03

Thank you for clarifying that info . Wow - I'd never have guessed such things would happen . It's a whole other world , I guess !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now