Talk

Advanced search

To hate the conflation of gay and trans?

(5 Posts)
brasty Thu 09-Nov-17 18:23:55

They are not the same. One is about sexuality, the other is about people saying they are the opposite sex or no sex at all. That is totally different. And yet people conflate them all the time in arguments as if they were similar. They really are not.

RhiWrites Thu 09-Nov-17 18:25:12

And yet both groups experience prejudice and persecution.

brasty Thu 09-Nov-17 18:26:36

What is your point? Lots of other groups experience discrimination and persecution.

Whosrightsareright Thu 09-Nov-17 18:51:26

Not forgetting that persecution of one of these groups is on rise as a result of the efforts of the other.

The two things are not only confused, but homosexuality is now being repeatedly overlooked in favour of gender dysphoria. There are increasing amounts of stories now coming to light of feminine gay men and masculine gay women being referred to gender clinics as teens and later realising there are in fact just gay. Many of them post transition sad

It's usually "allies" conflating the two things in their hurry to virtue signal their support. Genuine allies will recognise that it's possible to be a masculine woman or feminine man and not be suffering from dysphoria. The virtue signallers sadly will continue to damage the very cause they claim to support.

SpitefulMidLifeAnimal Thu 09-Nov-17 18:52:03

When I see posters in our staff room advertising the next LGBT meeting, I wonder what the T has to do with the LGB too. Saying that both groups experience the same things is true to a point and I imagine they can provide fantastic support to each other but there are so many differences too. It seems rather reductive to just lump them all in together.

I'd be interested to know what LGBT posters think : )

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: